ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan (More than ever)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am starting to think those plugins you claimed to have made are not your work.
So not only are you a liar and a slanderer, but possibly a thief as well? How Awful.

These are some GRAVE accusations.

And I just want to let you know that looking at this conversation from the outside, you are actually looking like a complete jerk right now.

Disregarding any information given and just saying "Yanfly said so, read it again for the sixth time please", does not look like someone who is willing to accept he may be in the wrong after all. But you accused TheoAllen of this.

Instead of disspelling the statements @TheoAllen gave you (Like you wanted him to do with Yanflys article), you just attacked his person to wash over the fact that he is trying to explain that this only affects Auto-Battle.

I can only say that I have read yanflys article some time ago and was scared sh*tless because I use a lot of mechanics in my damage formula. So I immediately did some extensive testing.

And so far nothing ever broke because of it. So it really seems that it only effects the Auto-Battle trait on actors. Like TheoAllen wanted to explain.

Also, going back to the weight-based decision making for enemies, I don't really know the code behind it, but experience tells me that it REALLY is the only determining factor for enemy decision-making.

This obviously includes additional factors apart from weight (like MP costs, use conditions etc.), but the AI could not care less which skill produces the highest number, they don't even care about elemental resistances or state immunities and such.

And lastly, you could have done some research of your own and then you would know that TheoAllen is a very credible member of the community and dragging his reputation through the mud because you are a sore loser is not good. And as he already suggested, you could always search for other sources to confirm any type of information.

Obviously, you should not take any word he says for granted, but neither should you do that for Yanfly or anyone else for that matter, so your suspicions are justified, you just neglect to actually confirm anything for yourself.

Okay now I'll excuse myself, have a great day everyone. Let's just leave it at that.

Edit: Reading through this reply again, I noticed that I sounded pretty rude towards you @Zacyiia and I apologize for that. I did not have any "ill intent" or desire to attack you. But reading through your conversation with TheoAllen I could not sit still.

Now, I do not know TheoAllen personally (obviously) and as such, the following statement is made purely off of observation;
I believe that the reason you perceived TheoAllen as "rude" and "having a superiority complex" is because he is by nature (or atleast on this forum) very blunt and honest. He does not actively try to not hurt anyones feelings. And as such he does not hold back any knowledge or opinion he has.
I personally like that but as we could see it can lead to some unfortunate circumstances.

Last edited:

Cyberhawk

Bravelion Leader
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Couldn't have said it any better.
I never did try putting mechanics in the dmg formula myself.
Probably will have some inquires when I get back to my MV project at some point. So it's good to know this thread is here.

Skunk

Melody Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Slavic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Woah... would be nice if people could focus on the topic instead of using this thread as a place to flex your egos.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Let me chime in a bit...

I believe that the reason you perceived TheoAllen as "rude" and "having a superiority complex" is because he is by nature (or atleast on this forum) very blunt and honest. He does not actively try to not hurt anyones feelings. And as such he does not hold back any knowledge or opinion he has.
I personally like that but as we could see it can lead to some unfortunate circumstances.

I don't know him very well, either. But while I haven't been getting any "rude" replies from him, I can say that I've seen some, let's say, very questionable posts from him. Some of them seemed to have a hostile tone in them. It was as if he was trying to exert his intelligent and superiority over someone else to stroke his ego.
014.gif
I've seen the same attitude from high schoolers and other not-so-nice places on the internet, so it bugged me when I saw that from him. Not that I want to throw shades at anyone, to be clear. And the other guy could have handled the situation better as well.

"It's not what you say, but how you say it."

I don't know if the rudeness was done on purpose or if there were some communication issues. I believe a sign of a mature person is being able to express yourself and convey your opinions without figuratively taking the piss out on everyone else. That goes for both of you all of us. Worst case scenario, just block each other and move on. I'm not good at communicating, either, and someone told me I was often being passive-aggressive. We talked and sorted out our misunderstanding. So don't anyone take what I said personally.
If Theo still wanna argue, 1v1 Yanfly somewhere else and let everyone see.
059.gif

On the subject at hand: our games are not the same and we all have different ways of doing things. Just because one way works for you doesn't mean it must work for everyone else and vice versa. The players won't know any of these behind-the-scenes methods. What they care about is if the game is playable. Do whatever suits you, as long as you can release a functional game. You wanna put mechanics in the damage formula? I don't care if you do. I wouldn't know. No one would know. If your game works, cool. If it has issues, well, you know better than to leave that crap in there.

Last edited:

Skunk

Melody Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Slavic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok, that should be quite enough.
If you guys want to discuss the intricacies of who is right and wrong, or who is smarter than who.. Take it to your inbox.
This thread was designed for people to learn, and the forum is designed for people to read and learn... not wade through a BD contest between developers.
Admin already asked you guys to stop, and the admin was ignored.
Which speaks volumes of the issue at hand.

epson777341

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You can do
Code:
let sum = 0;
for (i = 10; i < 78; i++){
if (user.isStateAffected(i)) sum += 1;
}
To only check for those states you have lined up.
That works! Thanks so much, huge load off my mind.

Iqus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That works! Thanks so much, huge load off my mind.
Another option, and one which can be used with non-consecutive states, is just making an array containing all IDs. I would recommend doing this instead.

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For an example of how to do that:

JavaScript:
[3, 5, 12].reduce((_, state) => _ || a.isAffected(state), false)

Or more verbose and maybe easier to understand:

JavaScript:
let sum = 0;
for(i of [3, 5, 12]){
  if(user.isStateAffected(i)) sum += 1;
}

Gia Dreams

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi again,

I'm working on a skill that ideally function off conditions with states.

EX:
Player: has to cast Fire, gains state (1)
Player: has sword Skill 1, on hit does regular base damage of 30, but if user has state(1), it will add state(2) to user.
Player: sword Skill 1 continued. When user has state(2) will deal base damage of 80.

so
a.isStateAffected(164) ? a.atk + 80 - b.def : a.atk + 30 - b.def; a.isStateAffected(159) ? a.addState(164) : a.atk + 30 - b.def; a.atk + 30 - b.def

so Im trying to get this entire line of code in one formula to function correctly.

Cryogenic

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi Folks,

Trying to set up a skill (spell-like attack) that deals hp damage then has a chance to repeat the attack. Not really sure where to start.

GradiustheFox

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm trying to create something way more ambitious than my brain is capable of, and doing so in likely the clumsiest way possible; I want this character to have a Mix-style attack where they use up to three items and each one alters the attack they end up doing. I think I can muddle my way through it using common events and variables, but is there a way to set the ELEMENT of an attack in the course of the damage formula?
(My planned method is to have a webwork of Select Item options add numbers to a set of variables, which I'll throw together when the attack actually goes off)

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
if (b.isStateAffected(x)) tests if the target is affected by a given state, is there a way to test if a target is affected by a given buff/debuff?

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
if (b.isStateAffected(x)) tests if the target is affected by a given state, is there a way to test if a target is affected by a given buff/debuff?
isBuffAffected and isDebuffAffected.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Thanks!
I suppose it needs to be isBuffAffected(x) to test a specific buff, right?

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan (More than ever)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Indinera
I assume you just put in the ID of the parameter that is affected by the buff/debuff.

0-MaxHP,
1-MaxMP,
2-ATK,
3-DEF,
4-MAT,
5-MDEF,
6-AGI,
7-LUK

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
@Indinera
I assume you just put in the ID of the parameter that is affected by the buff/debuff.

0-MaxHP,
1-MaxMP,
2-ATK,
3-DEF,
4-MAT,
5-MDEF,
6-AGI,
7-LUK

Yep. If you'd like to test if a given target has a buff (any buff), is it possible without using || 8 times?

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
if ([0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7].some(param => b.isBuffAffected(param)))

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Is this written alright? I made a skill that:
* does 250 + 4*normal attack if spellcaster HP are less than 30%
* does 4*normal attack if HP are less than 50%
* does normal attack otherwise

So it has a double condition which I'm wondering if I wrote OK.

Code:
c=a.atk-b.def; a.hpRate()<0.5? (a.hpRate()<0.3? 250+4*c:4*c) : (a.atk-b.def);

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Checking out the Judge's Round Table. Really cool getting their perspective in a Q/A environment like this.
I'm heading back to Orlando tomorrow! Dad said he's going to take me to my favorite arcade and maybe Aquatica.
animated message windows <3
or message window that uses background images that can be animated?
Still need to fix some things, but it's going great so far :)
CEPjLJn.gif
just when I thought one of the greatest game of all time couldn't get any better, they announce a new dlc for it.
For anyone interested: there's another huge humble bundle with JRPG assets + a game jam starting next month - it's for a good cause, so check it out <3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zabasin