Damage Popup with Element Effectiveness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zemtax

Secret Open World Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey,
so what I've been looking for is a change in color for the damage popup depending on wether the elemental type was effective against the target, weak against it or no resistance at all.

So let's say the enemy has 50% fire element rate, the player hits for 100 fire damage, the popup is "50" and it would be nice to somehow indicate to the player that the element used wasn't effective.

So maybe have the damage popup appear blue-ish when the element rate has a certain threshold, in this case below 100.
If an element is effective maybe the popup would be red.

One solution would probably be to add 3 rows in the img/system/damage.png to these thresholds so one could change the appearance and style of damage popups to fit one's game. (white = element rate of 100%; blue = element rate below 100%; red = rate above 100%)

Due to my very limited knowledge of JS I can only come up with vague suggestions.
Maybe it would be possible to overlay the damage popup depending on the element rate instead of using the damage.png or show an icon to the left/right of the damage popup?

Anyways, I hope someone can enlighten me on how to approach element rate in damage popups :)
I couldn't find any damage popup plugins that had element rate be a factor in how it's being displayed.

Peace~

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[closed]IgnoreMe[/closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Anyone here managed to never burn out on programming? My current limit is 3 months(6-8 hours per day, 7 days per week, 50 hour programming week on average), and then I just have to take a break, sometimes lasting few days(with at most 2 hours on programming per day). I've been always like this so far, so I admire those who can always be so passionate on programming :)
This is starting to become a momochi collection y'all!
Meet Swefo The candy Eater!

Hide your candy... I or I sweefe sweefefooo~~~
Automatic level scaling without an option to turn it off can be a very bad choice for a game. The worst I've ever seen was in Nightmare of Druaga, where if a power outage made your system turn off, the game detects it as an attempted cheat and overwrites your save while taking away your best gear, leaving you unable to progress at the late stages of the game, and unable to recover.
Problem with sequels: Heroes getting rid of all their items and forgets all of their skills within the span of a year without explanation. :kaomad3:
I can see the end of my prologue. Perfect time to decide to pull everything over into MZ, right? Right?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StevenFot