Damage preview

Nosleinad

Storyteller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
  I've searched all over and didn't find a script that shows the average dmg that you can do to a target while it's being selected, before you actually hit it.

This average damage can be shown in the battlelog and/or (option) a new window during the battlescene. It must take into account the resistances of the target and the attack power of the attacker and his skill.

This damage preview system is used by the might and magic series for example, so you can wander around the targets and see the effectiveness of you current selected skill on them. Another add-on to this could be the accuracy%.

I can imagine this one might be tricky to do. Do you think this idea is worth the functionality?

Last edited by a moderator:

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I tried to do it using the selection window, seems to be working... but there's some problems I guess if the skill is not a single target skill coz the selection window doesn't show for those skills...

Also, it will only show the supposed damage at the time you select the skill, but there are other factors that can change it like the action of other actors that haven't been done yet, etc... 

Nosleinad

Storyteller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
(i am going to sleep soon, so sry if i don't answer again tonight  :stare: )

Hello again adiktuzmiko, this was way faster than i imagined hehe. I don't know why another scripter didn't do it before (at least i couldn't find)

How does it work with skills that hits one target multiple times? Does it show the average damage of one hit? This is not an actual problem for me.

About the damage and accuracy, is it possible to calculate all the steps that rmvxace does before the actual output (resist, avoid, accuracy, x and s parameters and even states, etc.)? I know there's a complete chart of it in this forum, but sry i couldn't find it now by doing a quick search.

Tomorrow i will upload a demo with all the scripts i use, to see if there's any incompability issue. We can talk through PM if you prefer.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Since my script test used the BattleEnemy window, it doesn't show it when the target is not a single target... 

I simply made it run a method similar to the one run during damage calc (but removed the damage part itself plus the variance because it will make it inaccurate since the variance changes each time it's used, like the case for multiple hits)... so for the multiple hit skills, it will only show the "average" damage... because the variance is what will possibly change it thru the different hits, plus critical which I didn't add too...

I only did the damage so far, no accuracy yet...

I'll PM to you my testing script...

anyway, for the why part... I think because it's not really something that most people want to add I guess... because it's kind of not always a good thing... plus sometimes it removes the need to carefully check each skill that you have (description and name wise maybe) since you can now just select a skill and you'll see how much damage it could do to an enemy... and ultimately means it will be easier to determine the skill that will deal the most damage to an enemy...

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Looking back at some sketches, and game design documents on my PC dated summer of 2015. I started development with the release of MZ, but in 2015, I felt a strong desire to make a game out of the blue. I remember feeling sad for no apparent reason, and all these ideas rushed into my head. Now that I think about it, since that day, everything has become easier to do on my PC . . . it’s very creepy.
Everything's going to be alright! We're all in this together. <3
Aaaaannd published my game's tech demo. :D

Feel free to download and play it. And give feedback!
Hey everyone, we know that the edit bar is missing. We're working on it. You can talk about it in the announcement here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/forum-errors-missing-edit-bar-etc.132715/
So, explain why we can no longer use BBC code or smilies in our posts? This sparks much sadness...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finley