damage scale

lancerforce

sir himbo
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
(rmvxa1.0) im having a hard time with the scale of damage, as it seems like the minimum amount i can make attacks do before they miss all the time is about 5. id like to have it be more small scale, so that my stating level hp can be around 10-15 and not have 2 or 3 attacks do me in.

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Sounds like you want attacks to do about 2 damage

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have no troubles handling smaller damage, how did you set up your damage formula? Do you have any script interfering with that?

Off Topic
Relying on such a small amount of damage and health pool might lead to balance problems later. I hope you have already considered this. If your total health is 10-15, a single extra point of damage for your opponents means between 10% and 7% of your maximum hp.

lancerforce

sir himbo
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
essentially yeah. i just want to have a more fine control of the scale so i can alter the damage by about 1 or 2 points yeah. i dont have any scripts that mess with the formula, i just notice that when i change attack stats by 1 it changes the amount of damage by more than i'd like. ultimately i just want to make the whole scale of all stats smaller (starting off with 500ish hp is much larger than id like for this project)

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Your damage depends on the parameters involved and the formula itself (how they are involved). If you are using the default formula it is this one:
Code:
a.atk * 4 - b.def * 2
If you add one extra point to atk and leave the def parameter of your target unchanged, you have this:
Code:
(previous_atk + 1) * 4 - b.def * 2 = previous_atk * 4 + 4 - b.def * 2 = previous_formula + 4
On top of it, you have the variance too, which also affects damage. However, since all these are basic notions, and it looks like you are lacking them, I recommend taking a look at Andar's tutorial in my signature to understand how the engine (and in particularly damage in this case) works. It will greatly help you in the future.

EDIT:
Your game aesthetics is hardly affected if you show one or two digits in the damage, what changes a lot is how easy it is to balance things. You can achieve the exact same thing granting more rewards (in terms of parameter points) to the player while having better control over damage and breakpoints.

lancerforce

sir himbo
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
ah, thank you! i needed to find a guide to how the engine works.

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You're welcome, the one in my signature is the one that I consider being the best. It is a written one, not a video nor a game tutorial, but it is still very well made and covers pretty much everything.

lancerforce

sir himbo
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
looking back i think i worded this question a little weirdly, what i meant to say is that im wondering how you can change the formula for attack.

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
There is an interesting thread on this forum that you can check to learn that.The first part is here, the second one (it has more than 25 pages) is still on this forum, but you have to look for it yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I swear, the last 3 weeks I haven't felt like helping people at all. No idea why, even if I know the exact solution they need. Might need to harness my inner @Shaz or something. :LZSexcite: :thumbsup-right:
Look, I get that it's illegal, but...
It just happen we got P7 as booth number, so i draw Girls Frontline's P7 in this
Stream will be live shortly! Going to start with some Minecraft spriting, and might switch mid-stream. Depends~ Feel free to drop by!
MushroomCake28 wrote on Finnuval's profile.
Glad to see you're back! I was wondering what you've become! It's been a while since we spoke to each other!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maott