RMMV Dance of Steel and Bone - Steampunk RPG Shmup(maybe?)

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by mobiusclimber, May 9, 2018.

1. mobiusclimber

mobiusclimber Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not sure how much of this I'm going to be able to do on my own, so if anyone is interested in working on this, let me know. I've seen a way to make side-scrolling action games with RMMV, but I don't know if it's possible to switch back and forth. If not, there won't be any shmup sections. I have the skill level up and random equipment stat drops implemented already. I know there's a plugin for the QTE battle engine stuff, but I haven't messed around with it. I'm still in the "thinking about it" phase for a lot of this, but thought I'd put this out there to see what you guys thought of it.

• Storyline/Plot:
    You start the game as a 9 year old boy. You have been accepted in an elite military academy where you will hone your specialty, as you have been gifted in the art of combat since your birth. You board an airship (shown in mode 7 graphics) which takes you to the school. There, you complete registration by marking down your name, "class" (it'll be called something else in the game), and elemental alignment (natch). Then you pair up with three other new arrivals and go on to the training area, which will act as a tutorial for the overworld battle engine (the non-mech portion). After the tutorial, someone mentions seeing a large airship in the window. As you go to look out, your instructor shouts to get away from the window, and then... it's a bombardment. The school is shelled heavily and decimated. You manage to get out before it collapses. Teachers are using their tech (sword, artillery or elemental) to fight swarms of mini mechs the airship dropped. They also sprayed a chemical into the air that causes immediate genetic mutation in animals (similar to Parasite Eve transformations). You join in the battle, fighting the newly created monsters using your tech. Then, you see a downed mini mech. You pull out the dead pilot and start it up. It speaks to you in a sarcastic, hyperactive tone. It asks if you want to dance and then says "watch, then follow" before displaying button inputs on the screen. When you match them, it synchs your tech with it's available armament. You then engage in battle with other mechs. Soon after, the enemy gives the signal to retreat and, as quickly as the battle was begun, it is over. Your school is a smoking ruins. You vow vengeance for the dead schoolchildren, and to put an end to the war. Your journey will take you through war-torn countrysides, past peasants suffering the effects of shortages and shellings, to the seats of power of those waging war, and into the very heart of the enemy kingdom.
    • Game Mechanics:
    "Classes" are divided into three (maybe more) groups of tech users: sword (which includes any bladed weapon), artillery (from guns to bombs and everything in between), and elemental (magic users, divided up by their elemental alignments, with the different elements having status effects associated with them - ability up with fire, slow and stop with ice, etc). Portions of the game will be battles fought on foot, with "monsters" whereas other portions will be mech on mech battles and, if I can pull it off, short shmup segments. While in the mech, damage is boosted by 10% and up to 50% on successful completion of "the dance" - a series of button presses, different for every skill. Mech skills correspond to your character's but the animation is also different, and will use mechanical means to achieve the effect. Outside of the mech, battles are more of a Mario RPG-style QTE, for a 10% boost. Those battles will also be more about defense since you are more vulnerable as a person than you are as a mech. (You can't just pilot the mech all the time because it's power source is finite and it has to refuel.) Your skills level up the more you use them, and you have the choice between one of two new skills on the first level up. Equipment drops are randomized in the style of Diablo games, while you can also find parts for your mech and upgrade different stats at will (if you have the part for it). You age a year for every five hours of gameplay, with a small stat increase, and every ten years a new sprite and portrait to show your age. All equipment will change the look of your sprite or mech, as you "wear" them and take them off.
    • Characters:
    It's just you and the various people you meet on your travels. All your friends are dead. Your parents are dead. And if the war isn't over soon, everyone will be dead.

Actually, I don't really know what I want to do here. Maybe your friends from school make it out with you and join you? I'd have to play around with the mechanics of the game, and come up with a lot more "classes." I would put in four player if I could.

Oh, and your mech has a personality. So I guess he counts as a character.

You - Headstrong and impulsive with a strong sense of honor.
    Mech - Fake hyperactive but really very subtle sarcasm.
    • TECH:
    Sword - bladed weapons
    Artillery - guns, bombs, shields
    Elemental - fire, ice, bolt, water, earth, physical, metal
    Apothecary - healing and poison
    • Photos:

Demo: https://mobiusclimber.itch.io/dance-of-steel-bone-demo
    (demo has skill level up system and randomized item drop, but not much else. there's a few attempts at shooter segments, but they're not done/any good.) ​

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  2. Grantronic4

Grantronic4 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Sounds Like a good start so far. The one thing I would change is have the 9 year old age to 15 or 16 as it becomes more believable for him to survive a crazy attack, where the professors are getting killed. Develop a connection with the school for the first half of the game or first third of the game. That way it seems more logical for the student to make it out of the disaster. Also have him make a connection with the three students, you could even have one student that leaves your party after the attack to join the enemy to add a little twist. Just a thought. I wish you the best of luck!

mobiusclimber likes this.
  3. mobiusclimber

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm probably going to have a whole sequence where the main character uses wits (by solving puzzles), reflexes (QTEs maybe?), and tech to make it out of the school alive. The only reason you survive the battle itself is because you find and use a mini mech - too small for any adult to use. I'm going to have to think about the story a bit more, but those are all excellent suggestions. Thanks!

4. mobiusclimber

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    And actually I really like the idea of spending a lot of time at the academy in the beginning. I think I can have fishing and hunting mini games as part of their combat training (for food while in enemy territory). I can spend a bit more time building on the world that way too. It'll have a lot more impact when the school gets destroyed. And then the change of pace will be very unexpected as well. It's almost like doing an "Audition" style genre switch in the middle of the game. I don't think I'd spend quite that long tho. Definitely a few hours at least.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  5. Grantronic4

Grantronic4 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Glad I could help with your idea. If you need any story assistance please feel free to message me.

mobiusclimber likes this.
  6. mobiusclimber

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been looking into how to do shmups and side-scrolling platformers and, if I can get this to work, I'm thinking that each mech boss is going to have a shooter segment that leads up to a turn-based boss battle. How much damage you take in the shooter section will affect how much HP you have in the boss battle. Likewise, how many enemy ships you down will affect how much HP the boss has, and any powerups you pick up will carry over to the boss battle. I'm also planning on making the action segments different depending on the boss type, so there might be a vertical or a horizontal shmup, or a side-scrolling platformer/beat-em-up, or an on-rails shooter.

7. mobiusclimber

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I added a short, mostly tech demo. I'm still slowly working on this... (along with like four other games).