Maya_Zulf

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been slowly chipping away at a game for a bit now, in the game I want to have a system where the player can call out other characters for lying or contradicting themselves in dialogue. I'm trying to make it similar to Danganrompa's Reaction dialogue system where text appears purple and the player can push a button which allows them to select the dialogue as shown bellow.

Capture.PNG

Idealy I'd like to be able to bring up a menu or list of choices when the dialouge is slected.
Is there a plugin that can do something simillar?

Thanks for the help.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
choices can be made by eventing which is already available,
if you want 2-3 choices as embedded, you can used the plugin
by HIMES Choice Display Mode, but you can set choiced embedded
but nit text -> choice -> text and choices as in purple on the 3rd line
on your image which doesn't work.

but there are ways if you know the system and dialogues how to use
choices (up to 6) or a list of choices HIMES Large Choices, but thats
up to you how to accomplish it.

Maya_Zulf

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
choices can be made by eventing which is already available,
if you want 2-3 choices as embedded, you can used the plugin
by HIMES Choice Display Mode, but you can set choiced embedded
but nit text -> choice -> text and choices as in purple on the 3rd line
on your image which doesn't work.

but there are ways if you know the system and dialogues how to use
choices (up to 6) or a list of choices HIMES Large Choices, but thats
up to you how to accomplish it.
I've managed to piece-meal a similar effect together using conditional branches, switches, parallel events and loops as shown bellow.

The only problem I'm having is that I can't figure out how to make the text window close at the same time as the player pressing the trigger key (Q) At the moment I have to press enter/Z to close the window.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    110.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Capture 2.PNG
    Capture 2.PNG
    98.5 KB · Views: 3

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can't figure out how to make the text window close at the same time as the player pressing the trigger key (Q)
By default, "Q" is mapped to the same function as Page Up, so you would do Input.isTriggered('pageup') as a conditional for that.

If you want that key to have its own functionality, you would have to give it a new definition in the Input.keyMapper.

Maya_Zulf

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
By default, "Q" is mapped to the same function as Page Up, so you would do Input.isTriggered('pageup') as a conditional for that.

If you want that key to have its own functionality, you would have to give it a new definition in the Input.keyMapper.
I keep seeing people mention the input key mapper but have no clue what they're referring too. Also I tried the Input.isTriggered('pageup') script call and nothing happened.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I keep seeing people mention the input key mapper but have no clue what they're referring too. Also I tried the Input.isTriggered('pageup') script call and nothing happened.
Go to your project folder.
Click into the js folder, which has all of the code for the game engine.
Copy what I typed into your search bar.
It will tell you that rpg_core.js contains that text.
Open rpg_core.js with a text editor and search for what I typed again to find the list.

But, while that will get you there, it sounds like you don't have the coding knowledge to make any plugins that modify the game.

As far as the script call in your event, we'd have to see what your event currently looks like to troubleshoot that at all.

Maya_Zulf

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Go to your project folder.
Click into the js folder, which has all of the code for the game engine.
Copy what I typed into your search bar.
It will tell you that rpg_core.js contains that text.
Open rpg_core.js with a text editor and search for what I typed again to find the list.

But, while that will get you there, it sounds like you don't have the coding knowledge to make any plugins that modify the game.

As far as the script call in your event, we'd have to see what your event currently looks like to troubleshoot that at all.
This is the event that the player interacts with.
Capture1.PNG

This is a parallel event running at the same time checking to see if the Q key(PageUP) is being pressed.

I really apricate the help. I'm probably not at the point of making my own plugins (I'm more experienced with Python and even then it's only the basics) but I'm sure I can get there eventually.

Attachments

• Capture 2.PNG
    Capture 2.PNG
    107.4 KB · Views: 2

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there are many different keymappers, ET_mapKey is probably one
of the best out there, and dont have a link to it, this can define any
key that overwrite the default one temporarely or permantly, depending
how you use it, and you can use the entire keyboard, so Q can be different
then the pageup.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is a parallel event running at the same time checking to see if the Q key(PageUP) is being pressed.
I suggest you do some JavaScript tutorials, if you're trying to do more advanced things like this. I am a personal fan of w3schools for their interactive lessons.

For example, this is a pretty basic coding concept - you're not actually checking anything. Just saying Input.isTriggered etc. doesn't do anything. This needs to be a conditional that is asking "is the result of this function true or false?" So instead of the little hack you made with a switch and your conditional is checking the Button Down switch, you would put that line of script as the condition.

However, you're combining it with some pretty advanced concepts, trying to mess with how MV responds to input and changes scenes.

I'm not even positive that you can make this work the way you want, having a parallel event that responds to input while you're interfacing with the message window. I think you may be in plugin territory to modify the engine's code more extensively, which is either you taking however much time to learn how to do so, or commissioning someone to write what you want.

Maya_Zulf

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there are many different keymappers, ET_mapKey is probably one
of the best out there, and dont have a link to it, this can define any
key that overwrite the default one temporarely or permantly, depending
how you use it, and you can use the entire keyboard, so Q can be different
then the pageup.
Hey, thanks for the tip. I tried finding ET_MapKey but any links I find seem to be broken.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Switch actor positions during battle
Download
01010.PNG
SF_People3_1 added!
index.php

Micro rant. The worst part of working from home when you live with your family is seeing how inconsiderate they are. "Hey, you're sitting in front of your computer, that means you're not doing anything! I want to put the TV at 200 decibels!"

If I was working in the office would you still talking me like that?
It's definitely discouraging when streamers give a try-to-say-it-nicely (i.e. bad) review of your game demo. It's like jumping into a cold pool. Bad initally, but it gets better with time. And you are now more alert and see better.
Some screenshots of the pub and lodging with the beginnings of clutter taking shape
TTp8uCw.png

jtC202e.png

bSXgyVl.png

eRx9PUF.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theunderscoregreg