Dark Cloud Weapon Plugin Request

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Requests' started by VirusChris, Apr 16, 2018.

1. VirusChris

VirusChris Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm a little shock that the Dark Cloud Weapon script from VX and VX Ace never carried over to MV yet. Anyway, I want to request this Plugin as I'm looking for a Plugin that allows you to power up and evolve your weapon from using it in battle and earning Weapon EXP from defeated enemies.

For those of you who don't know in the PS2 games, Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2 (Dark Chronicles in JP), in those games you have Weapons that gain levels and become more powerful and when they reach a certain level or cap you can evolve it into the next form with branching forms to pick from.

The reason I'm looking for this kind of Plugin is I have a game idea in mind where my Protagonist has a Divine Weapon as his starting weapon. However, its powers are sealed and can only become stronger and awaken its abilities by defeating enemies and leveling up to unlock more of its strength. Sadly there's nothing I've found so far that has anything like what I'm looking for except for the Dark Cloud Weapon system that existed in the VX and VX Ace era.

Here's what I'm sort of looking for in this Plugin:
    • Allow enemies to drop another type of EXP exclusive for Weapon (or Weapons that have levels). Similar to Yanfly's Limit Point Plugin.
    • Set how much EXP is needed for each Weapon and Level Cap. (i.e. Level 2 = 1000 WEXP required, Level 3 = 3000 WEXP or Require 2000 WEXP for each level)
    • Set how much stat increase the Weapon gains per level.n (i.e. 1 Level Gain = +2 for all stats or +2 STR, +1 DEF, etc...)
    • Set what evolved Weapons the base/previous Weapon can turn into. This is determine by Weapon Level and/or Materials to upgrade/evolve/build your Weapon to the next form. (i.e. Copper Sword Lv.10 = Iron Sword or Steel Sword w/ Steel Ores x5, Copper Sword Lv.20 = Gold Sword)
    • Have a menu in the Main Menu to access or call Menu via other methods, (i.e. like prompting it up when talking to an NPC or pressing a key button like U)
    • Optional: Allow Skills to be learned that is tied to the Equipment's level. (i.e. Basically Divine Weapon Lv.1 has no Weapon Skills, but upon reaching Divine Weapon Lv.2 it learns a skill. And ONLY for that Weapon equipped... removing it will lose the skill for that character until re-equiping it again) [Requires Yanfly's Skill Learn System Plugin or something similar]
    There's really not that much to this Plugin. It's kinda simple system, but can really be complex if you want to. Not to mention you don't have to have all Weapons to have levels or upgrades by keeping the Notetags blank or not using the specific Dark Cloud Weapon Plugin note tag.

EDIT: This Plugin doesn't have to be JUST for Weapons. I would like to have this Plugin work for Armor and Accessories as well and any other equipment players might want. Allowing for more customizing their favorite gear or have special gear that needs to power-up by using it in battle over and over again. I guess you can call this Plugin an "Equipment Leveling" Plugin that's based off of the Dark Cloud system.

I also like or hope that it would be capable with Yanfly or other Plugins too without too much worry. I like to see if I can combine this Dark Cloud Weapon Plugin with a Weapon Customization Plugin. Such as each Weapon has a slot when you can affiliate an item onto to boost the Weapon stats, give it special abilities, and/or element powers as well.

If anyone know the kind of Weapon Customization Plugin I'm talking about, please point me to it. I might have missed it somewhere.

I really want to have this kind of Plugin for MV and I think it can really add a lot of play-ability and customization for Players for different playstyle. Please and thank you!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. Aloe Guvner

Aloe Guvner Walrus Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Dark Cloud 2 is one of my favorite RPGs and I actually started to write a plugin for a similar weapon leveling system a while back for my main project but I got distracted with a side project. It's on my list to finish, but probably not for a while (months... or more).

I was planning to do a few things differently than you described:
    • Disregard the entire player leveling system and you only level the equipment (1 weapon and 1 armor).
    • Leveling will provide Component Points that you enhance your weapon with components (like a Hawk Feather provides +2 Air, or a Turtle Shell provides +2 Scale).
    • Certain levels of stats are required to upgrade the equipment to the next form
    • Actors won't have normal parameters like attack, defense; it's all custom
    But, it's a long time away from being finished and even then I'm not sure it would be generalized enough to release as a plugin (might be too specific to my project).

Good luck though! Keep trying, you may be able to find a way with clever eventing and combining other plugins.

3. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Someone else asked for a weapon level plugin today as well. It's on my list but my list is getting long. Can't say when I'll be able to implement this but I likely will someday unless someone beats me to it.

4. VirusChris

First Language:
    English
    Oh wow... I wasn't expecting someone to post or that someone HAS been working on this as well.

Honestly it's a shock something like this kinda of Plugin hasn't been made yet.

For my game my characters have levels so they have their own Character Skills tied to them (and using Yanfly's Limit Point and Skill Learn Plugins to gain stronger tier of those skills) along with Weapon Skills that's tied to the Weapons themselves. Which is why I like to have the Dark Cloud 2 Weapon Leveling system.

But not limited to just Weapons, but all equipment. So you have the mystical gear that needs up unlocking and I want to do that for my Protagonist in my game idea. Looking for a way for this to be possible.

I don't mind if you can change how you level it up. Honestly it's simple for me, I want the gear to reach max level and then you evolve it into the next form. No materials needed. So basically you can have the ultimate form of your equipment at the start of the game, but that requires a lot of grinding.

I would love to make the Plugin myself, but I have no experience with coding even though I did do Java in High School. I'll try to look into how it could be implemented, but I hope it happens one day soon. I REALLY like to combine this Plugin with Gear Customization, the one where you put certain items to further improve and add effects to your gear (and you can unlock more slots on them).

It would make for an interesting and fun system.

Thanks for letting me know this Plugin is in the works. I do hope it comes out this year at least.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Frogboy likes this.
  5. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, I didn't say that I was actively working on it just yet. It's on my list, along with a dozen other plugin ideas, which simply means that I like the idea and will probably work on it when I have time. One thing you should know about my plugins, though. As my knowledge of the RPG Maker engine grows, my plugins have been getting more advanced and feature rich. This is both good and bad.

The bad part is that they take a lot longer to implement. The good part is that they are very customizable. I'm currently working on another idea that's been popping up a lot around here, a Hunger, Thirst system. While I was able to crank out a simple system to cover this in only a few days that met a couple people's needs, I've since spent the last month refining it into something much more powerful and awesome.

So while I do plan on making this, don't expect it soon. It's not at the front of the list and when I do make it, it'll be more than just a weapon leveling plugin. It'll also work for Armor, possibly spells, probably incorporate a FF7 Materia type thing and maybe even have options for intelligent items if I can figure out a good way of pulling that off (you won't have to use all of the features). If my latest plugins are any indication, it'll be a big one and take a good amount of time to create.

I will pull pull you in whenever I do start working on it to make sure it does everything you're looking for.

VirusChris and Aloe Guvner like this.
  6. VirusChris

First Language:
    English
    That's cool. I can wait. I'm in no rush at the moment.

Like I said I would love it if this Plugin allowed Weapons, Armor, Accessories, and others to have leveling and possible have certain skills be unlocked when reaching those levels too. Something I'm looking for and more customization options is always better.

Also this Plugin should work with Yanfly's Plugins? As long as it doesn't clash with something the other Plugin does.

Frogboy likes this.
  7. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll be in touch when I start on this. I do aim for Yanfly compatibility since everyone uses his stuff although since he has so many plugins, I can't guarantee that every feature will work with all of his plugins. It'll be epic, though. That I can guarantee.

:2k31:

gambitben and VirusChris like this.
  8. VirusChris

First Language:
    English
    All this time and no mention or word of this type of Plugin in development? Well I don't expect it be done in a night and Yanfly isn't taking request for Plugins sadly anymore. Sorry I don't mean to nag or anything, but I wanted to keep

In the meantime I plan on using the Yanfly's Attachable Augment and Item Upgrade Plugins to get it as close as possible to what I'm looking for. Actually is there anything like an "Evolve Weapon" Plugin anymore so in a sense I can mix these Plugins together to get something close to what I'm looking for.

Also is there a Plugin for making weapons stronger the more enemies that are slain? Like the Abyss weapons from the Tales series? Perhaps having it tied to an item equipped to a weapon via Augment would work too.

Sorry for bumping an old topic like this, just forward to get this Plugin request have more aware to gather more people interest in it. One more thing, what program do people use to make the Plugins for MV? I think Notepad++ is a good one, but I recall another one that might be better and free? Can't recall off the top of my mind.

Again sorry for pestering people with this.

9. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I haven't had a chance to work on this one yet. Still no ETA on when that would be so anyone else that wants to take a crack at it, go for it.

As for dev environments, Notepad++ is okay but Atom and VS Code are better and more feature-rich for this purpose. They're both free as well.

10. VirusChris

First Language:
    English
    I see, figures! XD

Anyway I never heard of Atom or VS Code before, but I'll check them out. They help a lot for making Plugins for MV the most, right?

11. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    They'll organize your files better than Notepad++. I believe that someone around here wrote an extension for VS Code specifically for RPG Maker plugin makers although I have checked it out yet. Don't remember what it does. These programs won't help you write or understand JavaScript any better. They're just easier to work with. They're more customizable. Light theme, dark theme, syntax highlighting etc.

12. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV