Name: Dark Room Covers

Version: 1.1

Author: Mr. Trivel

Created: 2016-02-17

What does it do?

Allows to show and hide regions.

Video:

How to use?

Everything is set up using Plugin Commands.

And we have a couple of those:

RegionReveal [ID] - Reveals tiles of specific region.

RegionHide [ID] - Hides tiles of specific region.

RegionReset - Resets all revealed regions.

[ID] being region ID.

Simple as that.

Example of calls:

Code:
RegionReveal 5
RegionHide 4

Plugin: <GitHub>

How to download Plugin. Click the link above, there will be a button named Raw, press Right Click -> Save As.

Terms of Use:

Don't remove the header or claim that you wrote this plugin.

Credit Mr. Trivel if using this plugin in your project.

Free for non-commercial projects.

For commercial use contact Mr. Trivel.

Last edited by a moderator:

lostdragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Interesting script. 

Here are some comments from my initial test on an existing project.

The script appears to add a small delay to the start of the game - probably while the engine generates the "darkness tile".  Sometimes this delay transcends into further jerkiness after you get into the game.  Later it's smoothed out.  I'm not sure what is up with that since it's just creating a black square.  Maybe it's my rig.  Let's see what others report.

The script does not account for different tile sizes so you must edit the code if you're not using the default 48x48.  If you don't edit the code your darkness will be offset from its region. 

Events and tiles are both covered.  That's great.

I put the plugin command on a player touch script and it runs before the player ever touches it.  I don't understand how.

Suggestions:  I would like the ability to change tile size from within the plugin parameters.  It would also be useful to choose my own "darkness" graphic per region.  Eg:  For region 2 maybe I want a roof tile, for region 5 perhaps a black square, for 7 maybe I want a cave ceiling, etc.

It's easy to use.

lostdragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
After some more trial I had to quit using the plugin.  On maps of 256x256 I'm getting performance issues even without any regions set up.  

The script seems to run whether the plugin command is specified anywhere on an event or not. 

Mr. Trivel

Glasses
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Lithuanian
Primarily Uses
@lostdragon,

Thanks for input~

Plugin no more spawns tiles depending on map size, only depending on screen size now.

As for different tiles for different regions, that's a nice idea, but for later date~

Update v1.1

- Performance fixes.

lostdragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@lostdragon,

Thanks for input~

Plugin no more spawns tiles depending on map size, only depending on screen size now.

As for different tiles for different regions, that's a nice idea, but for later date~

Update v1.1

- Performance fixes.

Thanks I will try out the new version!  I really liked how this worked.

Edit:

The performance issue is gone.  This plugin is perfect for my old school style RPG.

Eyehavey0u

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This script is working for me. I am putting RegionReveal 1 on a tile as touch before the player gets to it, but the room is just dark when the game starts. Help please?

Nvm I noticed it must be placed within the region. Great script!

Solis

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'll check it out too!

Wren

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
This sounds like a great way to add rooms to a map so that you can walk over to the door and it opens up and then goes dark again when you walk back into the hall, so you can set up multiple rooms for some added polish. Probably also good for anything that you want to hide for tactical reasons. I might be looking into adding this to my super complicated project... Thanks!

Eliaquim

Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi there! i'm using this plugin. And set it to hide region 35.
But, when i use the reset command in plugin command. It not reset. I can reveal regions, but not reset.
Try also with scripts i found inside the plugin.
I delete the plugin, save the game, exclude the maps. But when i add the plugin again, even if i not make anything in events, the region 35 still darks the map.
I remove .json files of the maps, alter them, but nothing seems to change that. It seems that region 35 is forever with dark.

I saw this in a comment from the youtube video:
"Mr Trivel2 years ago
+Chaos17 Bloody - Nope, all regions are saved in Game_Map object, so if region 17 is hidden in Map #10, it'll be hidden in Map #15, too."

So where the engine is saving this information?

White_Dreams

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
AWESOME PLUGIN! Really thanks for making this :)

I have a small suggestion. There are plugins like "KhasUltraLighting.js" that changes the screen's ambiance.
If the black tiles of your map is of a different shade for some reason, the ambiance will make it much darker (if you reduce the ambience) or lighter (if you increase the ambience) thus turning the "Dark Room" covers to have a separate color. Can you pleaseeee fix this?

cedr777

Lead developer of "Charao Life"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi there! i'm using this plugin. And set it to hide region 35.
But, when i use the reset command in plugin command. It not reset. I can reveal regions, but not reset.
Try also with scripts i found inside the plugin.
I delete the plugin, save the game, exclude the maps. But when i add the plugin again, even if i not make anything in events, the region 35 still darks the map.
I remove .json files of the maps, alter them, but nothing seems to change that. It seems that region 35 is forever with dark.

I saw this in a comment from the youtube video:
"Mr Trivel2 years ago
+Chaos17 Bloody - Nope, all regions are saved in Game_Map object, so if region 17 is hidden in Map #10, it'll be hidden in Map #15, too."

So where the engine is saving this information?
AWESOME PLUGIN! Really thanks for making this :)

I have a small suggestion. There are plugins like "KhasUltraLighting.js" that changes the screen's ambiance.
If the black tiles of your map is of a different shade for some reason, the ambiance will make it much darker (if you reduce the ambience) or lighter (if you increase the ambience) thus turning the "Dark Room" covers to have a separate color. Can you pleaseeee fix this?
"Mr Trivel has not been on the site since June 2016, so is unlikely to see your question." -Kes

Eliaquim

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"Mr Trivel has not been on the site since June 2016, so is unlikely to see your question." -Kes
I found tje "issue". When you install the plugin all regions are turned to black by default. You have to mannualy with plugin commands reveal those regions that you do not want to be blacked.

Hahasea

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Am I the only one who's not getting how 'simple' this is..? I can't for the life of me get it to work.

I have region tiles mapped in, and a corresponding region hide plugin command set to run parallel, but the region is not hiding. Can't seem to figure out what's going on. Help!

cedr777

Lead developer of "Charao Life"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Don't use this plugin. Use yanfly's grid free doodads combined with the built in switch funtion to make you dark rectangle appear or dissappear instead.

Eliaquim

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Am I the only one who's not getting how 'simple' this is..? I can't for the life of me get it to work.

I have region tiles mapped in, and a corresponding region hide plugin command set to run parallel, but the region is not hiding. Can't seem to figure out what's going on. Help!
Send a print of the configuration you made in your event.

Hahasea

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Send a print of the configuration you made in your event.
I've got a parallel event, and have removed everything else at the moment, just trying to get the hide function to work, and can deal with reveal later. I was going to use a touch triggered event to RegionReveal once the hiding was working.

And of course regions blocked out.

I'm not a complete beginner, but I'm no expert, and honestly the instructions seemed vague af to me.

Hahasea

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Eliaquim Don't know why those images aren't working. Attached as links instead:

Eliaquim

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Hahasea

Well, it seems that you have config the plugin properly.
Try to put a SelfSwitch A to on in the parallel event, then put another page to be activated with SELFSWITCH A = ON.

Some things that may be useful for you:

By default, all regions are hidden.
If you reveal a region in map 1, in map 2 this same region will still be revealed.
So, the plugin command HIDE will only work for the regions that in some point has been revealed

I see that you only hide region 21.
And on the map are two regions, 21 and 22, right?
Do you want the region 21 to hide?

I can't see an error. Maybe you are using this region for something else in the game? like in another plugin?
or you have another parallel or autorun event revealing this region?

Have you tried to activate this plugin command in another map and/ or with another region? And it works?

Black Mamba

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
pt-br
Primarily Uses
you can use Terrax lighting with regions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

40 card deck size, the plugin seems more sluggish.
Village theme I composed for a commission!
Stream will be live shortly with some Haunting Ground! Feel free to drop by!
welp, the stock market went down by 7% because of corona today. Time to buy stocks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChocoPandaGames