DarkEnd - Simply, an RPG [Available on Steam!]

Discussion in 'Commercial Games' started by HaruAkira, Jan 24, 2014.

1. SomaelCK

SomaelCK Lv 99 Simple Sheep Veteran

First Language:
    Burmese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Added some more fix to patch.

-The one-hit KO rate from some floor-boss has been reduced.
    -Delete the short-cut (for debugging use) on map, which could seriously glitch the game.

Please download and unzip the file (You can use the old link):
    - Put the "patchxxxxxx.rvdata2" file in /DarkEnd Demo/Patch.
    -Delete any existing old patch files and replace with new one.
    - Try going to different screens before using the portal (like going to the corridor of origins) and it will become functional.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014
    HaruAkira likes this.
  2. That Bread

That Bread Veteran Veteran

@SomealCk just a quick question, do you have your games demo without the RTP available? Or is it necessary to have the RTP? I cannot find the file without RTP, so if you have one I would appreciate it. As it seems my computer cannot handle the RTP file, it crashed the internet mid way through.

SomaelCK likes this.
  3. shayoko

shayoko Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    should we keep the old patch as well

or delte and use the new ones?

SomaelCK likes this.
  4. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I finally found some spare time to play it a bit:

Well, where to start? Let's start from the good points first!

+Awesome Titlescreen.

+The animated Intro is fantastic, superb job, not a lot of RM games can vaunt an intro like that.
    +The Creepy\Gothic\Dark(?) and cool tracks adds atmosphere to the game and fits very well.
    +Tutorials in Chibi art! They look cute, appealing and useful.
    +Amazing Art on portraits\facesets\cutscenes.
    +The Corridor of Origins allows to customize the characters by choosing their skills in real time, it's a good addiction to me.
    +Mouse Support! I never bothered using it because I prefer the keyboard but it's still a plus.

Bad points(?)
    -Weird (not bad just weird) mapping in some places, especially in the Corrupted Forest. It's a bit too squarish for my tastes, but that's just a personal preference, I believe you can add more decorations and variety around to prevent this. In the other zones however is good.

-Maybe I skipped something(?) I'm not even sure, but it took me a lot of time to understand that to save the game you have to use the Memory Orb...you didn't add tutorials that warn the player about it?

---

I also suggest to replace that orc sprite for the floor bosses, maybe with a ghost or something(?), because it's a bit weird to touch an orc and fight a wasp or a blue slime, you need a more shapeless monster I think (like a ghost or a shadow) who wanders around. I'm not a fan of the tall sprites (I hate them I'll be honest) but your choices are good, they look good.

So for the game I choose:

Templar Knight Lucion (Prince Charming, ahahahah)
    Necromagus Griselda

I had to grind a bit to beat the Chimera boss and at the end the whole battle was challenging, to beat the thing I abused Holy Sword and Soul Slash.
    I loved the art and the scene of Myria and Lucion at the ending of the demo, that was amazing.

Overall it was very nice, it only has some few minor flaws (which can be easily fixed), looking forward to see\buy\play\ the full game, I'm interested into it.

No bugs or errors reported besides a few spelling mistakes (but I forgot where, sorry...ahahah)

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
    Susan, HaruAkira and SomaelCK like this.
  5. SomaelCK

First Language:
    Burmese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah, sorry, the non-RTP demo has yet to upload. I will upload it ASAP :)

Delete the old patch, and use the new one. Using both is currently harmless but later, it might glitch.

Great to hear that you enjoyed the demo. We had to work hard for these few months for that. Especially Haru, for handling the artwork and intro movie.

Sorry, kinda forgot to inform people about memory orb. I thought it's noticeable since it's flashing. :|

Hmm, yeah, Shapeless monster fit better than current monster sprites(Like Persona 3). I will try to add that in next update.

Thanks for playing the demo :) .

HaruAkira, Dalph and That Bread like this.
  6. shayoko

shayoko Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    lol im happy,i thought id be alone with that orb XD

i realized it was how you save after like a hour and 20 some odd minutes of playing XD

i felt pretty stupid saved and turned game off  :3

HaruAkira, SomaelCK and Dalph like this.
  7. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, don't worry about the Orb, it's a minor thing.

The game was still very fun, I'll gladly play soon the updated version and report bugs\errors.

Good luck for the game.

Yeah, took me around an hour too to realize it. ahahahah

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
    Susan, HaruAkira and SomaelCK like this.
  8. muramasa

muramasa Abomination of life, or life itself. Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I'm seeing this project for the first time, and well, I think you have made a great work with it. Artworks are pretty nice and all that. I think I'm motivated to give it a try.

But I'm confused about the artworks. The topic has two sepparate styles, and they clash quite a lot. There is the abstract colouring, which I feel it's pretty darn cool. And the plain colouring, which seems nice too. The topic says you're striving for some "conventional simplicity", which I thought you were applying to the artwork style. But then, what are the other ones for? Are you changing them all, or just added some for fun?

Anyway, I'm going to play a little bit of it. Let's see how immersed I get. I hope not much, because I have some classes to attend! Ahahah.

HaruAkira and SomaelCK like this.
  9. SomaelCK

First Language:
    Burmese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    We used realistic artworks for face pictures, but we used comic/anime style art for most major cut-scenes. Abstract coloring style is for title screen only. Please try the demo and tell us what you think :)

Oh and Demo file without RTP is now ready to download. (@Cosmos, you can download with ease now :) )

Please download it here : Download (133 MB).

I compressed the music files to reduce the file size even more, as a result, the quality of the BGM is reduced a little bit. But it's not really noticeable unless you are listening with a really good headphones.

HaruAkira and That Bread like this.
  10. GhostGK

GhostGK Warper Member

First Language:
    Burmese
    Hey, Just wanted to drop by & say that I been having a blast trying out your Demo with different characters..  BD  
    Keep it up!  :rock-left:   :rock-right:  
    I'll be with you guys along the way & I'll report any bugs I come across..  :)

11. That Bread

Began playing Dark End... I'll put my thoughts below. Let me tell you the tittle music made me want to play it.

The Adventure Begins

As for the intro, it was very well put together. Though I might be a slow reader, but I had a hard time reading it at some points.

Beyond that it pops you right into the plot of whatever the character you picked is doing. The guards and dialogue give you a good sense of what's going on and a quest journal in case if you get lost. Now I personally never use this or read manuals... because I like to figure out things on my own, but their always good to have around. Speaking of tutorials, there were quiet a few, no their not bad... I like how they are like a display of what you are learning.... not to mention the cut chubby characters!

Battle System

I did get to some battle and found out you own the DS pack! I know that battle tune, not much to say about the system itself. It looks nice and it is a touch customized, and the battles are fairly easy or at least what I have played so far.

The Dungeon

The dungeon idea you have works like a game I once played. It was some kind of kid game where you went into a dungeon... and fought and fought. Until you get a key to progress. I'm sure there will be puzzles the further I go and this idea is not bad, as long as you keep it fresh every time you do so then... well no complaints here.

Time for everyone's favorite... the grammar and spelling!

Now onto grammar and spelling! Was it terrible? No. Was there mistakes? Yes ser! Ahem... note the pun on that yes ser. You spelled ser wrong many times throughout the game... it is sir. Unfortunately I cannot point out exactly where, but some sentence order needs to be fixed, I did an audio commentary so all of this is just me remembering what I found that night. The commentary was bad... as you could not hear me, anyway that is all I saw wrong with grammar.

The Features... my oh my

First off I noticed how much customizable content was put in for the characters you pick. A wide variety of choices for weapon, armor, and skill. (I love the idea for the skill paths) As for the armor and weapons, its a great thing to have and truly gives you some more freedom on the characters fighting style. Plus I like the addition of applying logic to armor, light is fast armor whilst heavy is slow.

The auto dash messed with me! I like it, but I am used to holding down shift... later I found out there is a menu full of options! Lovely little things in there, I like it.

Overall thoughts

I've only played into the games first dungeon and I have to say this game was not what I expected. I was surprised by the cumbersome amount of customizable content... mind you I was not ready for such a thing. I thought, oh another game to immerse myself in... not too many choices here right? This does not mean I did not like it, it was just a surprise and something I was not prepared for.

Dialogue, some comical dialogue and dialogue that does give me a feel for the character. Something I like to see in any game. As for my overall experience, well the place is pretty ominous! Gave me the chills like something should happen at any given moment. Besides the feel being pegged, I soon realized nothing was going to happen, instead I was met with a dungeon. I was a bit disappointed, but.... I went along my merry way anyway. I have not finished this game yet, but this is my two hours with the game so far. I plan on playing it some more one of these days.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2014
    SomaelCK likes this.
  12. shayoko

shayoko Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    questionable if Sir is actually a mistake you seem to be under the impression that everything is the same today as it was during the medieval era.

and it wasnt

i dont understand

"I've only played a few minutes"

"this is my two hours with the game so far"

13. That Bread

I know things were different then, (That notion of myself being ignorant to the past, was insulting) however I did not notice that this was intentional. Though I will note that it was put as ser several times, so it could have been intentional. What I thought it might be was a mistake... as I make silly mistakes like that in my own game. Like I accidentally forgot an e after are.

Well it seemed like a few minutes, however it turned out to be two hours when I looked at the clock. I'll fix that right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  14. SomaelCK

First Language:
    Burmese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for giving me the feedback :)

Yeah, as a second language user, I am very prone to make mistakes when writing up the dialogues and setting up a scene all together and I rushed to made the demo without actually ironing out the grammar errors. We'll get to this eventually :) Btw, actually, "ser" is the word I like to use, akin to those of Dragon Age and Games of Throne style. Kinda cool. But I did misspelled some "ser" as normal "Sir" and this is confusing...I know.

The game is leaned toward western RPG in term of gameplay. Gives the players more freedom in building character, especially skills. This can be a bit overwhelming for JRPG players tho. But please, do play it more :)

I guess he's setting up for the commentary and play-through?  :3

That Bread likes this.
  15. shayoko

shayoko Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    seems Ser is a spanish term and it means "To be"

like referecing something thats going to happen in the future

SomaelCK likes this.
  16. SomaelCK

First Language:
    Burmese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Actually, I just used the word from Dragon Age game and Game of Throne, since it is "cool". :)

Making a new patch for demo with the fix for grammar error.

HaruAkira likes this.
  17. HaruAkira

HaruAkira Artist Veteran

First Language:
    Burmese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Long time no update! We've been busy finishing off the game and adding new features.

I gave my very first try with tree tilesets. They're not the best but I hope they can help polish the maps a bit :)

[​IMG]   Very first attempt.[​IMG] Polished it a bit more. Making the perspective correct is really hard D: 

[​IMG] A cute little flower bush :3
    What do you think? (^__^)/

SomaelCK and That Bread like this.
  18. shayoko

shayoko Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Really ncie trees,but if i recall as its been a while since i played this

the tone of the mapping was more darker/dull

while i looks nice at least to me im nto sure if it would fit visually (im not a picky person so i dont care but)

that looks like it would go more in a more cartoonish game(cant think of the name of a game ive played :( )

personally i like the 1st try more in this case because of its darker tone.

but maybe thats just me :3

SomaelCK likes this.
  19. SomaelCK

First Language:
    Burmese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've tested the new tree tiles on different environments (light and dark) and they look pretty good there, with a touch of watercolor style :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What do you think? We'll add more custom works to improve the visual part of the game :)

Dalph and HaruAkira like this.
  20. That Bread

The tree looks great, sounds like you are going to update the graphics to fit its style. Right now it does not fit in with the other trees.

SomaelCK likes this.