RMMV Darkened Corners (Lovecraft-lite, Search and Puzzle Game)

NinjaKittyProductions

Professional Murder Hobos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
While working on Storybook Hero, we have been bouncing around an idea for a different style of game. One of puzzles, search and find mechanics, and hopefully a little horror. Check out a little preview we put together ^_^.

On a side note, what kind of elements would you all be looking for in a game such as this?
What kind of puzzles do you find fun?
Would the ability to use a weapon (say your service weapon) make the game less scary?
Besides jump scares (which we refuse to use), what elements make you all squeamish or feel uneasy when referring to a horror aspect?

NocaToca

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Even though I dont play many of horror games, I still will give my input, but I dont know how much you'll want to go be it.

My favorite kind of puzzles usually involve using your surroundings. Like things that seem useless becoming useful to help you open a door or something, or it being utterly useless. I also really enjoy things that involve math, like sodoku, but I'm not too sure if that'd be useful for you

I definitely feel having less to protect yourself makes the game scarier. Though if weapons serve a purpose, there should be a reason to keep them.

Things besides jumpscares that scare me are definitely basic fears, like darkness and such. I also feel really uneasy by noise or lack thereof; creepy soundtracks, soundeffects, and silence. I also dont like when I feel like something is going to happen, but it doesnt.

Hope's this gives you at least something to help you out! :kaoangry:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love any kind of good puzzle games with a bit of think work and adventure.
which is more zelda and prince of persia games.

Any game close to that is good for me.
I'm no fan of horror games besides 1 game of Resident Evil which has a bunch of puzzles
in it. Can'trecall it console though, but its probably one of the best on the series so hit me
up if you need any playtesters and I see what I can find :)

NinjaKittyProductions

Professional Murder Hobos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My favorite kind of puzzles usually involves using your surroundings. Like things that seem useless becoming useful to help you open a door or something, or it being utterly useless.
We completely agree with this as well. A good puzzle/horror game should use the surroundings. It make for better world/atmosphere building in our opinion.

Things besides jumpscares that scare me are definitely basic fears, like darkness and such. I also feel really uneasy by noise or lack thereof; creepy soundtracks, sound effects, and silence. I also don't like it when I feel like something is going to happen, but it doesn't.
We actually have a member of our team that suffers from Nyctophobia so he has been a tremendous help on the events and things that he experiences.

I love any kind of good puzzle games with a bit of think work and adventure.
which is more Zelda and Prince of Persia games.
We hope to emulate adventurous puzzles in our games :)

k_mckenzie

Fey.Earth
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like it when there's a timer, pieces move fast, etc.

I like pressure applied to my puzzle.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You don't have to hesitate to use jump scares, you just can't use them carelessly and you have to build up to it. I thought the same thing before I made my own horror game for a game jam. You could watch this video from Extra Credits to give a framework of how to build your horror game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Julian Brooks wrote on Hudell's profile.
Hi, I'm trying to use the Orange Mapshot plugin on Mac, but it isn't working. Could you assist? I'm attempting to do Parallax Mapping. Thanks.
I can't believe my dlc flopped that hard. It's depressing. I'm a fricking failure at being a musician.
Person: "Taxes are bs and money is, too! Anarchy!!" *Literally anything goes wrong* Same Person: "Why hasn't the government fixed this???"
Stream will be live shortly with a session of Haunting Ground! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Azarae