MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So this was an EASY fix back in Ace, but it's being problematic for me in MV.

I will start by showing the code i have in Ace for this.

In Game_CharacterBase

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------- # * Update Walking/Stepping Animation #-------------------------------------------------------------------------- def update_animation update_anime_count if @anime_count > 43 - real_move_speed * 7 update_anime_pattern @anime_count = 2 end end #-------------------------------------------------------------------------- # * Update Animation Count #-------------------------------------------------------------------------- def update_anime_count if moving? && @walk_anime @anime_count += 1.5 elsif @step_anime || @pattern != @original_pattern @anime_count += 1 end end #-------------------------------------------------------------------------- # * Update Animation Pattern #-------------------------------------------------------------------------- def update_anime_pattern if !@step_anime && @stop_count > 0 @pattern = @original_pattern else @pattern = (@pattern + 1) % 4 end endIt's basically set up so when you walk, the frames of animation has more of a wait time between frames than when you dash

But in MV, i did not find much to work with, so i'm having hell changing it.

I found this code in rpg_objects

Game_CharacterBase.prototype.updateAnimation = function() { this.updateAnimationCount(); if (this._animationCount >= this.animationWait()) { this.updatePattern(); this._animationCount = 0; }};Game_CharacterBase.prototype.animationWait = function() { return (9 - this.realMoveSpeed()) * 3;};Game_CharacterBase.prototype.updateAnimationCount = function() { if (this.isMoving() && this.hasWalkAnime()) { this._animationCount += 2.5; } else if (this.hasStepAnime() || !this.isOriginalPattern()) { this._animationCount+= 1; }};I'm having HELL figuring out how i can alter it in a similar fashion to get the same effect.... a lot of hell.

Where is says

"Game_CharacterBase.prototype.animationWait = function() {return (9 - this.realMoveSpeed()) * 3;"

I can change the 2 numbers there, and it will adjust the wait between frames, but it effects it for both walking and dashing.

I just hate how Kadokawa has this set up... most games i have played where you can dash, the player starts animating faster significantly... and you notice a difference.

Now, if there is already a plugin included i over looked, point me to it.. and i apologize now if there is a way to fix this already.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'll do it :)

Edit: I just have to wait for MV launch on Steam.

MaxLionheart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Thank you Hudell! I was also going to ask for the same plugin :)

Little question though: would it be possible to make this plugin compatible with Shaz's plugin (that was bundled with RPG Maker) "More Character Frames"?

Thank you! :)

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Probably, I'll check that one out.

Jesse - PVGames

Game and Graphics Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You know (minor thread hijack), it would really be awesome if this went one step further to also have the option to have an idle animation.

My ideal setup would be something like 8 direction sprites for walking (8 frames of animation, so if compatible with shaz's script, super great), 8 direction sprites for running (also 8 frames of animation), and 8 directions idle (when neither walking nor running - 3 frames of animation).

MaxLionheart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Good point Jesse, it'd be awesome to have an idle animation as well.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Idle animation is quite simple :)

This is currently number 2 on my list, so I should have it working by tomorrow.

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't need any of those things folks.

I just want more control over the wait between frames during running as appose to walking.

Funny how i figured that sort of thing out easy in XP, easy in VX and easy in Ace.. all using forms of ruby... but we get to MV using JS and i'm totally lost... Javascript feels more complicated than ruby.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't need any of those things folks.

I just want more control over the wait between frames during running as appose to walking.

Funny how i figured that sort of thing out easy in XP, easy in VX and easy in Ace.. all using forms of ruby... but we get to MV using JS and i'm totally lost... Javascript feels more complicated than ruby.
if I understand correctly, you only changed this line on Ace, right?

@anime_count > 43 - real_move_speed * 7Then on MV you just need to change this part:

Code:
Game_CharacterBase.prototype.animationWait = function() {    return (9 - this.realMoveSpeed()) * 3;};

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I tried that, the walking speeds up really fast as well when you do that.

DMJohn0X

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Idle animation is quite simple :)

This is currently number 2 on my list, so I should have it working by tomorrow.
Any progress on this? I've been hoping for an easy way to implement idle animation. Hopefully compatible with Shaz' More character frames plugin.

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Isn't there like.. a rule against hijacking another thread like this?

Why not just make another asking about something like this?

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I hope it's okay to bump this up!

Well i figured it out!

Game_CharacterBase.prototype.updateAnimation = function() {this.updateAnimationCount();if (this._animationCount >= this.animationWait()) {this.updatePattern();this._animationCount = 43;}};Game_CharacterBase.prototype.animationWait = function() {return (9 - this.realMoveSpeed()) * 13;};This change is made to rpg_objects.js

Where it says 43 it was set to 0, and where it is 13 it was set to 3... those 2 changes now make it clearer between running and walking animation counts.

They made it more complex!

Rather than that ONE little portion like in Ace.

It's the little bit of code just above it AND the one at the bottom.

Try it!

You can CLEARLY see a difference now between walking and dashing.

I would turn this into a plugin for folks, but i can't wrap my brain around the plugin creation.. thing.

MaxLionheart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
So it lets you change graphics when you're dashing? How do you need to rename the second file?

(Unless there's something I don't understand... which seems to be the case...)

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So it lets you change graphics when you're dashing? How do you need to rename the second file?

(Unless there's something I don't understand... which seems to be the case...)
It's something else. This thread got mixed with two different subjects.
I'll be finishing the dashing sprites plugin tonight.

If MikePjr don't mind, I can turn his code into a plugin for him too.

ps: Sorry that I forgot to check this, it was a crazy weekend with too many threads to keep track of :X

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's something else. This thread got mixed with two different subjects.

I'll be finishing the dashing sprites plugin tonight.

If MikePjr don't mind, I can turn his code into a plugin for him too.

ps: Sorry that I forgot to check this, it was a crazy weekend with too many threads to keep track of :X
Do what you like Hudell.

Well, you could mix stuff together into a script for changing things about what a player does on the map.

I seen your other script for moments.

It could be some things like true or false for pixel movement type stuff, and what ever else, and options for frame rates for walking and dashing.

Your call though, i'm just spit-balling ideas towards you man.

I'm also working out scripting that turns the box that stretches over things you select it's not a plugin sadly...

There are just little things they don't give you in MV that no one in the community so far is creating plugin wise.

There is STILL no pointer arrow cursor type plugin that let's you have a different type of cursor rather than rectangles stretched out.

There is mostly a focus on plugins for gameplay, not presentation, and i feel graphics and presentation is just as important to a game as gameplay it's self.

MaxLionheart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Hey Mike, little question for you:

I've tried your script, it's working great! I've been looking for something like this since the launch!

However, I understand nothing of the script... I've been trying to tweak it to achieve what I want, but no success...

So my question is: Is there a way to keep the same wait between frames whatever the speed of the character? I'm using 8 frames cycles for a walking animation, and I have different animations for characters that walk (villagers), and characters that dash (the hero). Right now, with your script, I've been able to get smooth animation for either the walking character OR the dashing character, but not for the two of them at the same time.

So, is there a simple way to have everyone with the same wait between their frames whatever their speed?

Thanks!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So I'm resuming work on the Shadowstar Trilogy. I've decided that it will take place between the end of G4 and the start of G5, and two of the Lost Rulers will be Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer (who is the moon princess in my AU).
Been working on some sprites, My favorite out of all of them is this guy, his name is Moss:
anyone else 'round here gonna be doing the retro game jam that's starting in a few days on itch.io?
I also wanted to say that my bro brought back nostalgia and got me a GBA SP for my birthday! Ah, the memories of Pokémon Sapphire and LeafGreen! It came in a gray shell but he ordered a red one so it'd look like the one I had as a kid. It looks brand new!
qhE9zC8.jpg
LsluASM.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OkamiKami