Alisu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not exactly sure if this is the right forum, but it seemed closest one. When creating game (with MV) I can increase the database size for various things to suit my needs. To keep some semblance of order, and knowing I can't plan it well ahead, I'd like to space things well apart so certain number blocks are reserved for different things. However I'm concerned this will inflate the database size so my question is, how much space the empty database entries take? Or more so, is the space requirement for empty entries negligible enough that it's not a trouble to use the whole number array freely?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's only text, and I think empty slots just have null values, so very little. I wouldn't go silly with it though.

You might save yourself some space by planning things out first, using a spreadsheet to keep track of everything you have, and then you won't need to leave as much space.

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Some plugins (notably Yanfly's) iterate through the entire database for the requisite data types when the game loads. In theory this could noticeably impact your game's startup time, though I've not yet gotten to that stage with any of my MV project attempts. Like @Shaz says, spreadsheets are your friends, though it's probably a good idea to leave a few spaces open even if you think you've got everything planned out.

Oh, and the default MadeWithMV plugin (if you're using it) might make things look worse than they are on startup, especially with a few of Yanfly's notetag-based plugins; there's a performance fix over here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/madewithmv-performance-fix.78537/

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Pretty sure that music, sound effects and a good number of large images impact your game's file size more than any database would.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Too bad the Boss Battle Build Bout isn't also for VXAce.
I might not participate in the Boss Battle contest after all... I have more important things to do, like Wishful Wanda. And of course the Dark Deception spinoff I plan to pitch, Demon Slayer.
Changed my avatar, goodbye Alan Sugar, hello George Carlin (one of my favorite human beings ever)
If you still don't subscribe our Polish channel please consider it :)
1.png
Who wants to see my review of the worst star wars movie? This movie has all the excitement of being on Jury Duty of the most boring case ever about trade negotiations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krinalle