leenat40

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Lithuanian
Primarily Uses
N/A
This version of "2: Vampyrus" is cancelled and will no longer represent the reworked "2 Vampyrus" in any way apart from the world and the characters.

Day0Vampyrus.png

"It's never just black and white."

""It is the light of our Lord that will guide us to safety and happiness" Yet that light never came. It will never come until the world is extinct of the Vampyrai. But will such day ever come? Will we ever manage to fight back against our forced masters? We're just sheep to them. A renewing food source... Why must we suffer this? Why can't we fight back?!
Because The Church you all love and praise will not allow us to! "We must accept the sacrifices as atonement for the sins of our fathers." How can those shells of men say that without bursting in laughter...?!"

An excerpt of Seyont Omgul's last speech before his death.

"Day 0: Vampyrus" is a prologue to the upcoming "2: Vampyrus" in which you'll be playing as Adrian, a man, on a path of vengeance to avenge what he lost whatever the price. But nothing in life is simple. The man that wronged Adrian is an almighty being known as a Vampir - a blood sucking humanoid that has lost his mind to the sweet taste of blood.
How far will Adrian push his humanity away to finally break the cycle of The Church?

In "0: Vampyrus" you will experience the beginning chapter of Adrian's story and see what leads to the eventual loss of what he holds dearest.

Both "Day 0: Vampyrus" and "2: Vampyrus" offer a unique completely hud-less and menu-less experience, along with great shadow and light work to distinguish themselves with a unique style.

Screenshots

index.php

index.php

index.php

Game

http://www.mediafire.com/file/9mfrxi87ggzl6tj/0_Vampyrus_V2.rar/file (Version 2)

Attachments

• Screen2.png
    Screen2.png
    444.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Screen3.png
    Screen3.png
    692.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Screen4.png
    Screen4.png
    696.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen1.png
    Screen1.png
    278.4 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So I gave your demo a try, but I'm not sure I'd really call it a demo since it's more of a teaser for the full game. Unfortunately I didn't find it effective as either, since there wasn't enough gameplay to keep my interest.
Personally I don't think just giving a warning about the file size is the right way to go about a demo, especially since this took me barely 15 minutes to finish. Instead of having all the files from the other game, why not just make (or copy it to) a new project where those maps and resources aren't included? Then you could have a tiny download, and that could make more people willing to grab it and give it a go.

I actually thought the demo was bugged the first time I played it since it just ends with the game closing itself. I ran through it again, and realized that's just how it ends but it felt more like an error than a developer choice. Instead, returning the player to the title screen would make it feel more intentional.

I'm very confused as to what type of game this is. From what the demo showed me, I think it's a visual novel where you walk to each new scene. Since there aren't any battles or actual choices, I assume the rest of the game will be like that as well. Which is totally fine, I enjoy a good visual novel but I do like to know what I'm getting into from the beginning, so it'd be a good idea to include that in your intro post (just saying that the game's "a unique completely hud-less and menu-less experience" doesn't tell the player that it's a visual novel).

I also had a minor issue with the game being menu-less... I have a terrible memory, so almost as soon as the button info disappeared I forgot which button was save. :kaoswt2: If it was 'S' for save I would've been fine, but 'Q' felt like such a random choice. One idea to keep players from totally forgetting could be to have the button info appear if the player's been idle for a few minutes (I know I stood still as I hit random keys hoping to find save).

There were a few spelling mistakes, which isn't a good sign for a story-heavy game. Here are two I caught, (there could be more but I stopped keeping an eye out for them after this):
spelling mistake.png spelling mistake2.png

These screenshots also highlight some issues I had with the dialogue boxes. Having character dialogue in "bubbles" is a pretty unique style for rm games, but quite often the bubbles would be on top of Adrian if someone was talking to him, covering his sprite. Since there aren't face images, being able to always see the sprite is pretty important. The bubbles also have some weirdness with the borders, you've chosen a windowskin that have a fancy border which unfortunately doesn't stretch well. I think it would look better with a simpler border that is fine when stretched, or use a plugin that lets the border properly tile instead of stretch.

Your post mentions lighting on the maps, but I think you need to work more on the lights to make them work better for a game. All the inside maps felt too dark, in scenes like the intro in Adrian's house I couldn't even see the treasure chest that he kept his armor in. And I thought I saw a balloon over the blacksmith's head in his first scene, but I couldn't actually see what was in the balloon so he could have been annoyed to see Adrian, or in love with him for all I know (which is the option I decided to go with :guffaw:). The tints also felt really red to me, I don't know if the whole demo was going on during a strange storm at dusk (only time I've seen the world red) but that's what it felt like. The red tint also took away from the final scene, since I was so used to red-saturated maps the burning town was underwhelming in comparison.

Since the demo was so short I actually played it again with sound (I get headaches from rm game music usually, so I play with it muted). The music you chose sounded nice, but I felt like they didn't quite fit the scenes. It didn't help that there was a major delay when music was changing, so I'd be three or four messages in before the music suddenly jumps to a new song. The final song during the town burning was so intense that I was sure I'd be fighting the vampir (and lose probably, but I'd get the chance to fight), but instead Adrian went down without me getting to do anything, which was a shame.

Overall, I wouldn't play the full game from what I saw in this demo. There's no gameplay and I'm not invested enough in the story so far to want to play more. If the full game does have gameplay, then I think this demo doesn't do it justice. :rswt

leenat40

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Lithuanian
Primarily Uses
N/A
@hiddenone Thanks a lot for the detailed feedback!
And yes while the game doesn't feature combat, in later sections in does feature some stealth gameplay which I couldn't quite show here to avoid spoilers.

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
But why can't you show some stealth gameplay in the demo? :unsure: If you have stealth as a major part of the gameplay, then why not have a small section where the demo shows it off, perhaps having to sneak past other guards to get to the blacksmith because Adrian doesn't want to talk with them about the night before. That wouldn't spoil any later parts of the game but would still let the player know that yes, there is more than just story to the game.

leenat40

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Lithuanian
Primarily Uses
N/A
@hiddenone Yeah I'm actually thinking of adding a stealth section along those lines for this part. Actually I think I have to add more stealth all around the game because it's kinda embarrassing how much stealth there actually is in the current build.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My mom is finally coming home tonight! In the meantime, Wishful Wanda is back in production.
SA51K_SHADER_IDLE.gifZombie is not the only thing people turned into in this town. There is also something else here. Something has many different names in history, the plague, the black oil, the purity, the filth. And now, it's called the shade.
(Maybe too much X-File reference. :kaojoy:)
Thanks, google for putting together a random pixel art Olympics game in your logo that puts everything I've ever done to shame in pretty much every aspect. ;)
Chizuru
chizuru.png

anyway, i just recovered from Covid.
Work's been delayed for a month but now i'm back drawing again.
Ah yes i learned how to make name boxes Im now profeshonal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bagy