Kalyith

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi everyone!

I am interested in making a "ddr" style mini game to my current project. Is it possible to do this in RPG Maker MV? Is there a plugin I can download or will I need to learn to code it myself?

Below is an example of what I'm thinking visually. :kaodes:

screenshot.png

Last edited:

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to MV Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Though, it might require a plugin, so it may need to moved to Plugin Requests. Game Mechanics is for discussing the concepts of mechanics not how to actually implement them.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know what "ddr style" means, and your screenshot doesn't give much info unfortunately. Can you provide more of an explanation of how it works?

Kalyith

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know what "ddr style" means, and your screenshot doesn't give much info unfortunately. Can you provide more of an explanation of how it works?
Hey Shaz,

Here is a link to the video I pulled the screenshot from. Skip to 0:14

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm afraid I'm not seeing any mechanic there. Just a heap of arrows moving to certain positions. What role does the player have in this? What is the game?

I'm guessing you need to press the correct arrows in the correct order, based on the images that appear. What happens if you get it wrong?

It's okay if it's too hard to explain. I've never played or watched this game. Maybe someone else who knows what it's all about can assist.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So, yes, it's definitely possible, but if you actually want something similar to a DDR experience, it's extremely hard and requires expert-level scripting and eventing. I've made a DDR minigame on Ace and it took several weeks to develop something where the arrows came in a preset pattern, stayed relatively in time with the song's beat, and didn't create enormous lag. To be very blunt, RPG Maker is not a good platform for something that requires this kind of precise audiovisual timing.

However, if all you need to do is to have the player hit arrows when they line up with the "hit bar" at the top, it's not as bad. In a very basic sense, what you want to do is make each arrow into an Event, and use a single parallel process event to control when each arrow starts moving toward that hit bar. Then, have a second parallel process event keep looping to check whether the player hits an arrow key on their keyboard, and if so, check the Y-position of each arrow of that type (such as Down Arrows). If one of those arrows is at the Y-position of the hitbar, award a Perfect; if it's one away, award a Good, otherwise award a Boo.

As far as I know there isn't any plugin that will significantly help you make a DDR minigame by yourself. However, you there is Moghunter's Theatrhythm plugin which provides something sort of similar for your battle system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Evil7 added!

I did a bit of a remake on one of the maps, also I made a particle for jumping into the portal, and one for traveling through the portal. I'll probably add more sparkles later to embellish it. :LZSwink:
Polished the animation and added details :kaojoy:
Ami
What do you think about the Wood Bridge inside of Volcano?
Yet another gaming question, i'm currently playing Last of Us 2 and want to get another game to play next but can't decide between Ghost of Tsushima, Miles Morales & Jedi Fallen Order. After the latest mandalorian i AM on a star wars kick, but i also LOVED the last spiderman game that prequels Miles Morales. Ghost of Tsushima is the bottom of my list but i heard it was AWESOME. Just want a good story & fun gameplay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vongolavxv