Dead Moon Night

Discussion in 'Arum Games' started by Indrah, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

Once every few centuries, a special night arrives: the Dead Moon.
    Without fail, creatures from the Netherworld will attempt to travel to the world of the living
    to carry out their nefarious plans under the moon's sinister glow.

Morten is one of such dark creatures.
    However, the spell teleporting him is tampered with, and his body is torn to pieces, leaving only his head.
    Luckily this does not kill him, since he’s a Lich (and basically a talking skeleton).

With only his head and a few tricks, he enlists the help of the tragically naïve nun who finds him and a newly raised zombie warrior to find the lost pieces of his body and his Grimoire, the source of his power, which was, tragically, also lost.

Meet spooky, interesting characters typical of Halloween season, each with their totally different combat style, and fight your way through the four dungeons in this quick, fun romp through haunted settings.

Characters

[​IMG]

Morten is a lich and a necromancer who came from the Netherworld, but due to a casting accident has become body-less and unable to use the majority of his powers.

[​IMG]

Mariah is a gentle, naïve, and rather dense nun. She finds Morten's head and offers her help, carrying Morten's head around.

[​IMG]

Robin is an undead warrior risen by Morten in the graveyard to serve as a minion.

[​IMG]
    Other characters also help and join Morten on his search.

Screenshots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The game is an entry for the Halloween Contest over at RMN. It's meant to be a short, 4-dungeon game with quirky characters and a lighthearted comedy mood.

Dead Moon Night takes places in the world of Arum.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
  2. Fomar0153

Fomar0153 All wrapped up for winter. Restaff

First Language:
    English
    As co-creator I would like to give an overview of the gameplay.

First and full most you can not grind to win. The game has no levels. What encounters are for is testing builds and acquiring new mods.

The equipment system in the game allows you to equip 4 mods.

The standard mods raise your stats, HP, ATK, DEF, MAT, MDF, AGI or HP Regen.

However each battler has four personal mods which can do slightly different things.

Using Robin as an example he is generally either a somewhat durable physical tank and moderate physical damager however as soon as you popin his skeletal mage mod he becomes a somewhat durable physical tank and major magical damager.

Scin who tested for us turned Robin into the ultimate tank beefing up his HP, DEF and MDF and spammed his command move which gets the enemies to attack him!

When you've finished I would love to hear what builds you used to get past the bosses!

I mentioned command skills without explaining what they are. Every character has a unique command skill and fighting style based on their mechanic. So taking Robin again his command skill is Cower which distracts the enemies and they attack him. His mechanic is confidence. Which you build up using his weaker skills and then spend to perform his stronger skills. I assure you his is the most tame!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2012
    VitaliaDi likes this.
  3. Ruby

Ruby Of the Earth Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Super cute~

Fomar0153 likes this.
  4. Espon

Espon Lazy Creator Veteran

First Language:
    Gibberish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Cute game and funny dialog. Game was kind of easy though, and battles got a little annoying since there was little you got from them due to lack of experience and mods being so common. I dunno why but I renamed everyone to various pastries.

A few things I noticed:- Stacking Skeleton Mages is completely OP. Three will give you 999 MAT and pretty much 1-shots everything except enemies that take 1 damage.

- After finding the necklace, they said I should go back to the church so I headed to the one at the beginning of the game. I didn't know they meant the blue building in town.

- Battles are too quick to make use of Vlad's Burst ability. He never gets a chance to use it in regular battles, and bosses only lasted about 3-4 turns.

- Never had to heal, only revive. Most enemies will just up and 1-shot someone even with HP mods. Also the ghost (I forget her name, I called her Quiche) can use items even though it says it should make her fume.

- Can Behemoth even kill you? Chaos Overload seems to do nothing (certainly not halving HP) and his attacks only reduce you to 1 HP. Maybe I defeated him too fast.

- I was expecting another battle after the last one with the sudden plot twists.

Fomar0153 likes this.
  5. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    Originally wolves would flee battles but all the testers complained about it, and unless I've forgotten they are the only source of the Skeleton Mage mod and I never managed to kill more than one wolf a playthrough and none of the testers ever mentioned this. I'll label this an oversight. Congrats on probably discovering the most powerful build in the game!

You are made to go in it first and there is a cross. But I guess we could have had another hint.

A long time ago before personal mods, Vlad was easily the strongest character. His Burst moves if you have time to set them up are really powerful though.

I used Spectral Boon and the mod that let me start with 500 Spectral energy and then never had to use the direct heal either. It's dependent on play styles.

If you have any HP regen then it's pretty much negated otherwise it's a two turn death sentence. I didn't want a boss who could instantly kill any character if your team resolves around one damage dealer and you don't have the revival item. The greater demon is meant to be that boss.

Me and Indrah like to play with expectations quite a bit.
    Anyway really glad you enjoyed the game!

6. Scinaya

Scinaya ~ Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Actually was was just asking Indrah yesterday what kinda mushrooms you had been eating to find the mage mod for Robin, since never encountered one. XD Turned out I had given up on wolves after a few times. I got once ONE DOWN! But it had summoned another one in the battle and that one fled, so I never got any spoils from them...

Well, eventually I found my own alternative way to make some use of that self-lashing bone-sack.

Fomar0153 likes this.
  7. Lowell

Lowell The Walking Atelier Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Very fun game, Robin winded up being a heavy striker, with me trying to build up his confidence for Blade of Confidence

The second recruit with his 9 HP turned into the parties tank, dishing out damage with his DEF

the third recruit ravaged monsters with spectral agony while regenerating the parties HP

the last recruit tore the final boss a new one with Flare alongside the 3rd's Spectral Agony

Fomar0153 likes this.
  8. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Mine and yours second and third recruit sounds similar!

Though I went with a single skeleton mage build for Robin and used Light with the final member, he was my healer.

9. Chaos Avian

Chaos Avian Abyssal Wing Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Man oh man, I loved this game!~

The characters were bright and colourful and the twist at the end was too hilarious. Those scorpions were annoying... They take too long to kill sometimes.

My favourite character has to be Dahlia!~ Those in battle Fenral with the 999DEF and Furball combo makes him a BEAST (Though he already IS one so...)

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Easily one of the best 1:37 minutes of my RMVX Ace playthroughs!

I told McTricky about it (he's starting Let's Plays) so he started on it, here's part in case you're interested ^^ http://youtu.be/prWKOCFV3kI

Fomar0153 likes this.
  10. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Looks awesome.

I will give it a play through over the next couple of days.

Good luck in the competition!

Fomar0153 likes this.
  11. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ahaha oh sheep I just watcher that LP and it's so fuckign awesome to see someone else playing.

@Lowell

Glad you enjoyed it! Perosnally the second I got Skull Mage my path was decided (and thus Robin because the wimp of the team, what with being padded full of magic enhacers)

@Chaos-Avian

Happy you liked the game! We put a ton of work in it so it's always bliss when people actually take the time to write us a comment, thanks.

Also a big thank you for giving Mr Tricky the link! I can't express how flattering seeing an LP of your game actually is.

(For a moment I thought you meant : 1:37 as one MINUTE 37 seconds and I was like, what? I noticed just now that that's HOURS. Forgive this old woman OTL)

@Paladin

Hope you enjoy the game! Do come back and throw us some bones- I mean, comments, when you're done!

12. Mr.Bukashi

Mr.Bukashi Game Designer/Script Editor Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Clap clap awesome game congrats Looking forward to more games from you guys!

Fomar0153 likes this.
  13. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    @Chaos-Avian

Thanks for playing, really glad you enjoyed it and thank you for starting the chain of events that lead to Mr Ticky's let's play! It's awesome.

@Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Thank you, hope you have a good time when you get to it.

@Mr.Bukashi

We do have something in the works but it'll be a while before we even show anything from it but I'm really glad you enjoyed Dead Moon Night.

14. Domin0e

Domin0e Like a leaf in the wind Member

First Language:
    German
    Best two hours I've had in a long time, game wise. :p

Gorgeous mapping and tileset compositions, as expected of Indrah. Exciting gameplay by Fomar. Hell, the Mod-System is such a cool thing to play with - although I ended up Min-Maxing quite a bit (i.e. 999MAT, Dark Circle spamming Robin, 999DEF, Fur Ball spamming Fenrir, latter saved my butt against the Brides xx) - but I didn't really get into utilizing the last characters command skill (mostly cause of my min-maxing).

The dialogs are really entertaining, and the twist at the end - Didn't expect that, whoa.

so, yeah.. *hands over some cookies* Have a nice omnomnom-cookie and than continue making great games, plx. :3

Indrah and Fomar0153 like this.
  15. stramin

stramin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    spanish
    omg I just started to play it, its so funny!

you really made a story for each tomb in the graveyard XD

the personalities of each character are so nice, I can't stop playing it and its 6:46AM here!!

I can't believe it, I lost fighting with the second bee... ¬_¬

Fomar0153 likes this.
  16. Lady-Elise

Lady-Elise Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Japanese
    Looks like a really simple & fun game:3

downloading now^_^

EDIT:

Pfew, this game is addicting, already 1 hour in:3

Battle are quite easy now though, I have robin with 999MAT,

wolf with 999DEF(+fur ball is overkill) and the ghost as tank with

60% HP generation every turn. hope that there will be some sort of sequel( ^_^)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2012
    Fomar0153 likes this.
  17. estriole

estriole Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    indonesian
    dayum... what's with that ending :D .

don't open if you don't want spoiler

i already guess it when the meeting with behemoth. but prior that. who would guess.... such angelic smile....

and there something that struck me after the ending.

when she tell that the head priest is in his room (next room of her) covered in blood... i start new game. then examine the door at the left. yes. that's his room.

after that i realize... just like the nun actually evil (or not so). the head priest who also demon hunter is actually a pervert!

why?

after the stair...(the only access to priest room) it's directly the nun's room. then the next room is him. how the nun will change clothes :p . (not to mention if he decide to walk to his room... no blind spot to change clothes :p . maybe that's what turn the nun evil.

the only way to break this assumption is if the locked room which i thought the confession room have stair to priest room :D .

and i think you could add some parody too about that door to priest room.

maybe if you examine it 20 times... then the necromancer will force to enter the room. and see the head priest lying in the floor covered in blood. then..... bad ending. :D (just imagine yourself :D ).

and the vampire boss. the difficulty suddenly raised so high when fighting him. after reloading once i remember about the item with unlimited revive. after that then i could won.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2012
    Fomar0153 likes this.
  18. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    Glad you enjoyed it, since making it easy to get Skeleton Mage for the final build it seems Robin's tanking builds are a lot less prevalent. It seems everyone used Fur Tank at least once in their play through.

Maybe I should also do a let's play and show off the less used build archtypes.

Save regularly! Glad you're enjoying it.

Hope you enjoy it! Let us know how you get on!

19. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Haven't gotten too far yet, but I am enjoying the banter in the game.

Also here's the second part to the Let's Play.

Fomar0153 and Chaos Avian like this.
  20. Chaos Avian

Chaos Avian Abyssal Wing Restaff

First Language:
    English
    @McTricky: Keep on attacking! When you get mods it becomes MUCH easier LOL XD

Seriously your reaction was too priceless!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2012
    Fomar0153 likes this.