Dealing with inconsistencies with time/era/century

jweav8705

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Having a hard time finding ways to explain GLARING inconsistencies with time.

For instance, after a certain part of the world is completed, I want to completely isolate it from the player and remove it, and the method I thought of doing this with is travel.

I thought...a train ride. Could even make a few quests out of it.
- Buy a train ticket (make really expensive).
- Earn a train ticket
+ Help engine crew gather coal for engine.
+ Help conductor find pocket watch.

My problem is my game is set in medieval times.
The first steam locomotive was in 1802.
Steam engine in 16-something.

The medieval era died centuries before this.

I understand that players are supposed to "suspend their disbelief" when it comes to games (a person running around fighting slime that's alive, werewolves, and killer bats while casting fire and frost spells), but I feel like there's only a few things that are forgivable.

Characters in medieval can cast spells and raise the dead, but if one pulled out a cellphone, I think there'd be issues.

SO MY QUESTION IS:
How do you go about explaining and dealing with time inconsistencies?

Redeye

Chronicles Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Perhaps the Train uses some sort of Magic Resource instead of steam and coal? Maybe ditch the actual train part and replace it with something like a Mystic Carriage that runs through dimensional rifts in order to get from place to place? If you're gonna use magic in your story, I'd start thinking of creative ways to incorporate Magic/Runes/Magical Stones and such into your world's technology. Steampunk-style automatons could be easily passed off as Magitech Golems or something along the lines of that, if you know what I mean.

If that won't work, then there's no harm in mixing timelines to create a totally original setting. There are countless rpgs out there with mixed timelines.

EDIT: As a side note, if you want to blend timelines, try not to make the threshold TOO wide. A Caveman/Futuristic Setting would look weird (Unless you're trying to make an Avatar fan game). I'd say that a Medieval/Civil War Setting wouldn't be terribly immersion-breaking, but that's up to the player's personal tastes.

Last edited:

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can use ships/airships or maybe dimensional gates. But just remember one thing... Your game world don't need to follow the same historical setting of our real world. :wink:

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
In my own game the presence of magic has led to technology also beong refered to as a form of magic. There are things like trains and even tanks, bit there are also still mounted knights in magical armor. Then again, the amount of technology is shown often and is very new to the setting. I think how out of place it is depends on how the setting is written, especially if your using a fantasy world amd not earth.

Philosophus Vagus

The drunken bird dog of rpg maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can always go the Final Fantasy route and just mix it all together with the explanation that pretty much everyone can use magic as the explanation for everything, from how advanced technologies exist to how low tech melee weaponry becomes strategically advantageous against entire platoons of soldiers armed with automatic rifles and grenades.

Or just change the travel system to either a sea-based or horse and buggy wrapped one with the same function. Doesn't matter whether the two second faded screen is supposed to account for two hours of travel or two weeks of it, it's a simple mechanic for player convenience either way.

padr81

Guy whose game is taking too long.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Its a game. Unless you specificially say its set in reality in 1600 etc.. then you can do what you want. This is what people don't realise. They didn't have trains in 1760 in the real world. Your game is not the real world. In your world they can have whatever you like.

If a character had a phone that ran off magic, sure they could. If a character had a phone that ran off electricity in a world where no other electric objects were than you have an issue. If lots of electric powered things were run off thunder magic/materia etc.. than no issue.

Look at FF15, the use of mobile phones is constant and doesn't feel out of place in a 50's style diner when said diner looks like it was placed in the middle of the recording set of the hills have eyes.

Having a steam train would be no harm to a medieval game imho. You could simply have the train engineer/designer/random NPC say its the first tech to correctly use steam power/materia/lamb intestines and have him talk of how eventually it would power the whole world etc...

Lonnehart

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
ENglish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I keep this in mind whether making a game or playing a game with an alternate history (such as the Fallout series)... These game worlds take place in alternate universes. The laws that govern those universes are not the same as the laws that govern ours. Hence why things like stimpacks or ghoul transformations are very possible in the Fallout universe, but not in ours (stimpacks in our universe don't heal you from being crippled, radiation doesn't mutate you into a zombie-like being with a HUGE lifespan, and being exposed to lots of RADs will kill you... in a few months rather than instantly).

Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
in truth its your world you are designing, what tech you use, how its implemented, langauge, whole nine yards it is yours to design, so long as you remain consistant with your worlds rules, nobody can really complain

Frozen_Phoenix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I see no problem with this. If it is a fictional world, then anything that is logically possible is allowed.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why not simply having the player join a trading caravan, with horses, carts and all.

Caravans on the silk road were covering huge distance, already during medieval times.

I know folks go saying "do whatever you want, its your game/setting" but tbh if your game is consistently medieval level tech and you suddenly drop a train using steam I'll cringe a bit. Even if its magic powered, the tech/magic elements should be introduced gradually before you drop me a big crystal powered train.

Also keep in mind that there's no train for the sake of train. Train are a mass travel system. If there are no reason for mass travel, no one will develop the idea of a train. And also, a train is a business, ran and maintained by people mostly for profit.

Last edited:

MMMm

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A
Use the excuse of magic or aliens. Aliens from another world brought this technology here as an experiment to see how this planet would develop. If you don't want to use these aliens in your story, have them get killed off years ago by your Big Bad.

.//SnowAlias

Do'er of Things
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you're having a bit of trouble try using longer periods between different inventions, you can use our own history as a timeline and add or subtract 1000 to give your game its own feel (ex: 1017 or 3017). Try to use 10s or 100s for significant events, like 1450, 1400, 1800 and such. Then when your lore is more SOLID you can start tweaking the years a bit to look a bit more 'real' (1452, 1402, Winter 1807, etc.)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Creating 3D CGs for Cutscenes. :kaosalute:

I keep wanting to post every song I make for the game and have to hold back on that because at this rate, I'll have spoiled all the really good stuff lol..
DerniBorges wrote on TSR's profile.
Is there any way this plugin works with the big character, and the QSprite plugin? Using RTP chars, everything works fine, but the big ones, with QSprite, it's like that in the image, it doesn't reflect right. And there is, in the settings, an option to fix it. Thanks.
bug2.png
Bengawan Solo with fantasy style arrangement. :D
So I just got my computer back (Was posting stuff on my phone) But now my dang monitor's broken! I'll need to get a new one, which means... JOBS! Yaaay... When I get a new monitor, I'll post picture of one of my RPGMMV projects.
Wish me luck... :kaodes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starnumb