Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

QxjMlYK.png

[COLOR= rgb(0, 100, 0)]Yeah, really, it's December. I know right?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 100, 0)]So bundle up in your comfiest, coziest or if you prefer, ugliest sweater and get [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 100, 0)]busy so you can say you finished the year on a strong note. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 100, 0)]Anyone have any festive game dev plans?[/COLOR]

Last edited by a moderator:

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
- Get one or two battle systems done

- Make the first animated cut scene

Both of which are going to take ridiculous amounts of time, especially since I need to do voice acting for all of it. The battle systems, even though I think I've figured out what I'm doing, that's going to be fun to try to event.  :distrust:  And I don't know enough of Ruby to script them either. As far as the cut scenes, I've never made a fully animated video before (only a video with a whole bunch of quick gifs in it. So, let's see how that goes. 

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you checked to see if there are any scripts that can help you at least get closer to your goal for the battles?

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Let's see... we got the preliminary work of the story concepts and class designs done last month.  We can be more ambitious in the coming month, as grad school classes will be effectively over on the 9th and won't resume until mid/late January.  

• Finish filling in the world map
  • Refine our story concepts and finalize the sequence of job acquisition
  • Connect sprites to classes
  • Do as much as we can implementing the skills for each of the jobs available in the prologue of the game.

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah, I'm still trying to finish my Halloween project  ;_;  So no festive stuff. Will be on the lookout for ones to play though! So get them out if you are working on one and face Vox's judgement!  :stare:

One goal this month I'm setting to complete. Finish my game! Actually, I'll have it done by the end of the week, or at least ready for playtesting; will be on the lookout for some testers later. After that, play some of the titles I got from the steam sale and maybe work on some tiles I started for when I move on to mv.

EliteZeon

Third-Rate Noob
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Focus on the re-release of Chapter 1 for my RPG.

-Bug Squashing

-Boss Animation Spriting

-Cinematic Paintings (Need like 10 of these T_T)

-Cinematic Eventing and Renewed Story Dialogue

-Menu Image Paintings (Like 8 of these)

Others:

-Database Refinement

-Skill System

I essentially also decided not to use the Ancient Dungeons tilesets, at least not for my villages. I might just use it for cities in seperate chapters. I know I'll be mixing styles, but eh, it has the atmosphere I need for certain areas, but it is lacking in other areas, such as interior variation and I really don't feel like redoing my maps to fit this newer tileset. The game is more linear and seperated by chapters, so perhaps the tileset swaps will be less noticeable.

This is a little off topic, but I wanted to express my excitement and wanted to show off my progress in making battlers and swapping up my art style a bit :D A strategy game I've been playing called Dominions 4 has a major mod that a good amount of players use. I decided to help out the mod team and made some sprites for the game. The game just uses two frames for characters, an idle pose and an attack or action pose:

Oc1bH3u.png
D0zg6oW.png

Yama King, it was actually a reskin of an existing sprite, but I think I made some really good alterations to it.

ISeXj44.png
J4VoaXP.png
e7oDnH6.png

They were making demon sharks as a modded unit, I had to draw this one from scratch. Turns out I made it too big and it was not supposed to be a sorcerer warlock thingy... so I resized it. I think the purple acts as a shadow ingame, idk... all the sprites in the database apparently have it.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@mlogan I have, but the thing is, I can't really figure out how to manipulate them so that they're the way I want. See, I want it a bit like Galv's actor duel mini game, but a little more civilized. It looks a bit more like one of those mash-the-A-button-with-your-eyes-squeezed-shut-and-hope-that-you-get-more-hits-than-the-other-person type of game (or maybe it's just because I don't understand the controls.). I'm aiming for more of a medieval duel. Almost like, something where you pick your move set and then it tells you what buttons to mash.

For another, I've already started, but it was taking a really long time, plus it required me to have actual proper sprites. That one was a bit like a TB, but with little quick mini game type of things that build your MP. Actually not that hard, I just took a break from it because I needed to make some progress in my actual game, not just testing this thing out in my side project. 

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
December is going to be interesting for me. I *have* to finish the book I've been working on by the end of that month, so we can get it printed in time for next term. Earlier would be better (for obvious reasons). Plus, I rolled jury duty over the holidays. Fun fun.

So for that reason I'm not going to set goals this month, as December looks like a wash for me. I'll try to still work on the game a little each day and will post what I'm doing, but there will not be an official goal.

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
This December, I'm hoping to:
- Finish the male version of my face generator redesign (It's roughly 1/3 of the way done atm). 
- Finish the TileB recreation for my project. 

I decided to put off working on generator parts until I go on winter break, since I like being able to work on drawing projects all at once rather than sporadically. I just started working on my TileB sheet yesterday, but I think it's going okay so far:

HW0Wuc2.png

Good luck with your goals, everyone! :)  

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What with Christmas, and all the RL stuff that goes with it, I expect to be only sporadic.  So modest goals, that way I can still feel that I've achieved something.

• Complete mapping for the current section
  • Do skills etc for the boss fight at the end.
  • Do a couple of short cut scenes to round this section off.

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And here come the goals. Since there will be a few vacation days at the end of the month, things should get smoother. Hence, my goals :

- Finish mission XVII.

- Add a new explorable area in the Death Realm.

- Start working on mission XVIII if possible.

Things are calming down on Wow and Pokemon, so I should have a bit more time now :) .

Punamaagi

Hero on their own terms
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks like I might focus on working on my project outside RPG Maker this month. 

• Write down the plot of the introduction and Chapter 1 of the game - Since I realized last month that I hadn't been thorough enough with my world-building and plotting, I will finally try to reserve some time for creative writing and jot down at least the main plot points (and possible branches) for chapter one. I am fairly satisfied with the introduction, but it might be good to write its contents down as well so I can mentally process the purpose of the events and characters' reactions.
  • Plan/revamp skills, items and states (and possibly enemies) - Currently, each character has 14 skills, but they lack in-game formulas and action sequences. Items and states shouldn't be too much trouble (because I might not make more than e.g. 2 or 3 HP potion equivalents and because states are strongly tied to skills anyway).
  • Make a title screen - It will/would be awkward to ask people to test a game which doesn't even have a proper title screen. I have a couple of ideas; I just need to consider which one works best and then draw it.

As for festive game dev plans, uh... I might try to draw my main characters decorating a Christmas tree or something silly like that? Nothing too big, in any case: I don't trust in my skills to finish anything grander before the season is over, heh.

Rayhaku808

Chubbizard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Finalizing the design of my battle UI....

None of the actors' HP/MP will be displayed on the bottom. That's where all the skills are and will be displayed at all times.
I'll have their bars located underneath or above them since I'm using sideview.
I'm simplifying MP as some sort of point system that's easy and quick to look at so you can focus on other aspects of the battle easily.
Kinda like - - - - -  mini bars! But more full looking. Either going with 5 or 10 and that's what you're gonna have for the entirety of the game.
But to use this system for HP too? Now that's gonna be a tough one.

Lantiz

PunyMagus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Other
Oh my! So many posts already...

@mlogan love the header.

Get one or two battle systems done

How is it going to work?

Vox's judgement

You got a new spell last month?

I won NaNoWriMo! Woo! Now gotta take some rest

Woooo congratulations!

@bgillisp Don't run away! I would miss your tips.

Now that sounds g@y, hope you're a girl '-'

If you're not... eh, I'll send flowers (joking [:)

@Amysaurus Your portrait is too cute to be true :x

Looks like I might focus on working on my project outside RPG Maker this month.

What's that about?

My goals:

• Fix the danm bug in my hud plugin (it screws the save file when saving and there's a head bubble being shown)
  • Finish testing/balancing
  • Start a game topic
  • Publish the demo
  • Play the hell out of Final Fantasy XV \o/ (this is my gift for working... yeah, like a kid)

Kyuukon

主人公
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Things are calming down on Wow and Pokemon, so I should have a bit more time now :) .

This. Though I admit I didn't buy Pokemon this time D: But yeah...

About my goals: Finish the BETA of the "short" modern horror/mystery project I've been working on for the past few months now. I really like the direction it's taking.

Lantiz

PunyMagus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Other
Ok, it's done.

Demo tested and ready to be published.

Guess I'll have the month free hahaha.

Time to start a topic :D

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Vox Novus In my experience, play testing usually reveals at least another month's work.  Because other people come at the game with strategies that perhaps you never thought of, or overlook what you think is dead obvious, or simply never catch on to the sneaky way of dealing with the Boss, they will discover bugs you didn't imagine in your worst nightmare.  But that's okay, that why we have testers.

@Marsigne Congratulations! I'm pleased that all your hard work paid off.  That event you're going to join looks interesting.  Good luck with it.

@EliteZeon Re-release?  It will be interesting to see the differences between that early version and this one.  Cities often look very different, and in the case of contrast with villages they need to look different, so I don't think there would be any problem with a different tile set.

@HexMozart88 I too found Galv's mini-dual a bit too button mashing.  Are you scripting your version or using events only?

@bgillisp Book completion and jury service - that could be a tough combination.  Hope it all works out well.

@Amysaurus For just one day's work that's a significant number of tiles done.  If you're going to be able to keep up that work rate you'll be finished well ahead of schedule.

@Schlangan So WoW and Pokemon out of the way - I take it then that you're not going to get sucked in to the FFXV time sink?  

@Marquise* What the RM world needs right now is a biting dragon, so get stuck in!

@Punamaagi I wouldn't worry too much about not having a title screen for your testers - that's not what they are testing!  And I think most testers are used to seeing placeholder graphics.  If you want to make it really explicit, why not have a very simple image with just the name and something like "final graphic not yet in place" in middling size font.  Your testers will see that and just move on.

@Rayhaku808 Can I just check because I'm not sure that I've understood your post properly.  Is that 5-10 MP for the whole game, or something else?

@Lantiz Congrats on getting the demo out.  We assume then that you managed to squash the HUD bug.  err, I wouldn't count on having December free - with luck you'll be getting feedback on the demo which you might want to work on.

My update.

Mapping and more mapping.  I think it's going to be that for some time.  Here's where I'm up to with the first map after our heroes get out of the tunnel/caves that they were in during November.  Not completed yet, but what the heck, I'll post it anyway.  It looks a bit dark because the mapshot has got the little bit of screen tint, but can't include the sun rays overlay which changes it a lot.

Eastern Hills 1.png

As you can see, I found another use for the water-cascading-into-a-hole graphic.  After all, the water in that waterfall in the cave has to come from somewhere, so there's the stream which feeds it.

As well as the exit marked with the dirt path, there are 2 other exits off this map leading to maps which in their turn have other maps.  I have to be very careful how I organize my map tree so that I can find things quickly and easily.

EDIT

In case you're wondering about the chest on an apparently inaccessible ledge, one character can get to it if you picked a particular class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Checking out the Judge's Round Table. Really cool getting their perspective in a Q/A environment like this.
I'm heading back to Orlando tomorrow! Dad said he's going to take me to my favorite arcade and maybe Aquatica.
animated message windows <3
or message window that uses background images that can be animated?
Still need to fix some things, but it's going great so far :)
CEPjLJn.gif
just when I thought one of the greatest game of all time couldn't get any better, they announce a new dlc for it.
For anyone interested: there's another huge humble bundle with JRPG assets + a game jam starting next month - it's for a good cause, so check it out <3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zabasin