Another Ned

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@MiniTitan: Yay for drawing more! And lots of motivation and stuff for your goals!

@Schlangan: Well, artillery can always be used to break up things. Erm, I mean, visually. That minigame sounds interesting.

@Arithmetician: Yay for so much progress!

@Saint Federacy: Effects that end up not visible are a pain. D: First, one spends so much time putting them up, and then they don't even have the decency to be noticeable.

@AceOfAces_Mod: Ooh, that does sound quite interesting.

@Azurecyan: Good luck and lots of motivation for your goals! (and the "decided to do a new, smaller game to finish one" thing sounds too similar to what I've been doing. ... I'm on my third of that type, hope you have better luck than me xD)

@EliteZeon: Thanks for the info. Also, I think the map looks fine with not too many named towns. Might become too cluttered otherwise, and maybe, the person in-world who commissioned that map from a cartographer only wanted the most important places to be named. : D

@Zeriab: *throws imaginary confetti* Yay for the mouse! : D

Progress, 07th:

Finally made room for my scanner and it's still working!

• scanned in all the sketches I've made on paper
  • spontaneously threw all face sketches into one file and added in colour

Result in the spoiler, if someone's interested:

Top row: Salin, coloured only the two I have to decide between. More sketching required.

Second row: Aranee (placement and size of her facial features is still not quite clear) and Barysh (his hair is a big question mark).

Third row and first of fourth row: NPCs that appear in the intro.

The rest: Characters that are at least mentioned, maybe some appear as NPCs and/or enemies, still have to decide on that. Kâlladre will need a few more iterations, both versions are still not quite her.

Azurecyan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Chiara thanks! It's probably my 5th or 6th(or something...I lost count lol) time doing the same thing haha 

Progress report:
- Finished character background and currently working on weapons, skills, armor for each character. 
- I'm currently drawing out the "world" map: 

The setting takes place on this one continent, Ablativus. I will be adding more detail overtime. I'm still debating if I should create an overworld or map-to-map transitions.

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
  • Added Yanfly's Target and Target Selection Cores to the project
  • Realized I'll have to add some note tags to keep certain skills from targeting enemies by default now that these cores are active
  • Revised and implemented the rest of the Chemist's core skills (not counting all Mix recipes, etc.)
  • Tested that the Chemist's skills work as intended
  • Connected Chemist Sprites to the rest of the actors
  • Jobs Done: 8/16

Chemists

Chemists + Mix.png

Chemist Skills.png

@Azurecyan Cool world map.  Overworlds are fun, at least for a retro feel and making the world feel large, giving a chance to really explore it, but do whatever works for your project.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
@ChiaraThe insects can't survive the winter unless they are INSIDE or colony insects INSIDE their nests... *sigh*  as many animals seems to think... I am a welcoming enough big fat mammal and... *sigh* so are half of my felines!  (yeah... the rest might be hunter ready to get poisoned.  ;)  )  And nice faces.  Also, graphically speaking the scanner place is an almost sacred place for our drawing to save their digital whole!  It was a bit I wanted to see what you'd do!

@MiniTitanWoah ready for your next game?

@SchlanganI was thinking of the inverse; an imaginary room that kinda could contain real inventory.  But for some reasons you might be right... I must be held in a real room that can contain imagination. (This seems to be an idea for an headache game)

@Arithmetician Hurray for your rep!  and seems that your work is going well!

@ksjp17*cybermentally hides*  Hope I didn't crossed too often this line

@EliteZeonI love your map and especially its graphical style!  :D

@ZeriabYay more game with mouse use!  I mean, I am now so naturally opening games made from our favorite editor that I always forget midway that the mouse doesn't works inside so... *cybermental hugs*

@AzurecyanNice near pangean map!  Will you keep it a bit beige and blue?

Progress:

I can see my finger prints getting restored a wee bit now and I will be up and going soon.  I also unscrewed my old Logitech MouseMan wheels and...  Guess what my mouse have been eating lately in there?  You got it!  Cat fur!  Lots of it to get off with ice pick, needles, screwdriver, tonsils and used fingertips.  XD  It is relatively clean now and...  Phew!  I think for at least 2 weeks I will be able to sprite or face portrait with it. 

Dunno what I will start with first. 

(Yeah Daughter cat have long hairs... Yeah Daughter cat likes mice...  Yeah Daughter Cat likes rescuing mice...(plushy ones so far)...  No Daughter cat can't know a certain mouse eats her fur and gets damaged out of the deal! :p  )

So left to do so far and in no peculiar order;

-1 Zombie illustration

-1 second dragon biting sprite outline at least

-3 Evilgod heads (I am looking forward finishing this chapter of the basic $Big_Monster set extension)

Annnnd... that's about it unless I get home invaded by aliens crashing their UFO in my apartment or something! 

Doktor_Q

I'm not a real doktor, but I am a real Q
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Reminded myself that I am not actually that good at art, or at least color choices. This week would be kind of a bust for progress, but I did figure out how to make states with variable stat bonuses and how to implement skill levels on top of yanfly's skill core, for a more authentic dungeon crawler experience, so I guess it's not all bad.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Looks like some nice progress while I was out battling the evil cold virus with the weapon of Nyquil. Nice weapon, but it puts you to sleep after you use it. :p

In all seriousness, I'm feeling about ready to return to the land of game making, and should be back on here soon. And in a non-game making note, the book is done as soon as I do a run through the built in spellchecker to make sure I didn't miss an obvious typo after reading it over multiple times.

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
  • Installed and tested a Geomancy plugin for functionality, confirming that it works with Yanfly's plugins.
  • Continued revising my planned skill lists
  • Implemented hadecynn's animations for Potions, Ethers, and Growth, adding sound effects and flashes from the RTP of my choice to them.

Azurecyan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Arithmetician Thanks! I'll probably come back to it once I finish the world map. I know I plan on doing backtracking for this game(for quests and story-related), but I'll probably implement an item similar to the Chimaera Wing from the Dragon Quest series for easy backtracking.

@Marquise* I plan on keeping the beige and blue. I'll also be adding some green and maybe white(if I plan on having a snowy area) to it too. Much of the colors will be on an overlay/multiply layer so you won't have to worry about not seeing the beige tone.

Progress Report:

• Finished character weapon skills. Not sure if I'll be adding anymore since each character specializes in two types of weapons each, with 5-6 skills each weapon. To add to that, magic is optional(with about 10 skills in each elemental category) and can be learned through equipping certain items that teach certain elemental magic.
  • A list of status effects is almost complete.

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Thank you @Chiara and @Marquise* :3

Now that I have reached my December goal I don't really know what to do =o

@Chiara I am digging your drawings. Good work!

@Marquise* I hate when the mouse jumps all over due to hairs inside it. I can't really imagine how much that must annoy artists.

@Arithmetician Looks like you are on track to finish all the skills in December :D

*hugs*

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Azurecyan  Well, I suppose such an item is easy to create if it's only warping the party to one location.  It requires much more complicated eventing if one wants to instead return the party to the start / outside of a dungeon.

@Zeriab I think so too.

Good job on your progress, both of you.

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I want to give a huge shout out to @Ultima2876 for his MV Asset Converter. I've taken the plunge and converted everything in my project from VX Ace to MV. It's only been a couple days but I'm sticking with it so far. There's still a few bugs with events and scripts that I'm getting fixed/commenting out to be fixed later but I think it's a good choice. I miss VX Ace but I think it's just growing pains as I become comfortable with MV during this transition time.

Thanks! I'm glad it helped out :)

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Zeriab If you don't know what to do, I'm sure someone, somewhere, would be able to find a little something for you to gnaw at.

@Schlangan Schlangan was able to persuade someone to do something?  Perhaps he's not just a force of nature on two legs then.  I shall have to revise my image of him.

@Chiara I love your sketches. If I had to choose, I'd say that the Salin sketch on the left (as you look at the image) has more potential.  I prefer the jaw line, more distinctive.

@MiniTitan That's a very useful day job skill to bring to your game making.  Good luck with your project.

@Arithmetician I've seen a lot of posts about how incompatible Victor Sant's stuff is with Yanfly's, so I'm not surprised that you've come across a glitch.  Good idea to consolidate the story at this stage.  You don't want to leave it too much longer, or you could end up with a few dead ends, or work that has to be scrapped because it no longer fits with what you want to do.

@AceOfAces_Mod Fonts, yeah, a total pain to find one that is suitable and that is free as well (I'm assuming that being free is a requirement).  I've found a couple that I'd love to use, but I can't use them in a commercial game, or I'd have to buy a license to use them in any context.

@Azurecyan That's a big list of goals for just one month.  Don't be disappointed if you don't quite make your way through all of them.  I like how you've started your world map.

@EliteZeon The more of your world map I see, the more impressed I am.  I agree that you don't necessarily want every town named.  I've never played a table top game - got no one to play with, and I imagine trying to do one solo would be rather pointless.

@Marquise* Hair in the mouse - that produced a wonderful cartoon in my head of a (computer) mouse at the hairdresser, getting it styled.

@Doktor_Q You're right, that's not bad progress at all.  It's important to notice the good, and not just what didn't get done, otherwise one can get a bit discouraged.

@bgillisp Nice that you'll be back in harness.  When does the book go to the printers?

My update

Boring repetition of the last two updates.  Mapping again, though with some eventing thrown in as light relief.  I have, though, received and tried out the animated battlers for all the party members, and I'm pleased with the way they turned out.

Azurecyan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@ksjp17 it's fine lol I usually write goals that go well into the next month or two. I try to get as much done as possible.

Progress Report:

• added a new element into the game, "Energy." That'll probably be the last element I'll implement.
  • Did some map work. Almost done with one region of the map. I just need to add shading to the trees and add color to the ledges(and maybe add some color to the mountains, but I think they look fine for now)   (_ _) ..zz   Then on to the next region!

Aweed

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Well I am in the early development with my lore and world I have a world ma but I don't know were the geography or towns would go. I also might be helping Cinnamon roll dev with his lore.

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
  • Installed Yanfly's Life Steal plugin
  • Finished designing the Elementalist's core skills (not all summons and geomancy though)
  • Later on will need to see if I can scale the summons to a 1050 pixel wide screen (that's what needed for nice formatting with the sub-jobs in the menu).
  • Associated Elementalist sprites with the actors
  • Jobs Done: 9/16

Elementalists

Elementalists - Summon.png

Elementalist Skills.png

Edit:

• Added Counter Control and Skill Cooldown plugins.
  • Installed hiddenone's rapier icons.
  • Added rapiers and ninja swords as weapon types with corresponding animations (from hiddenone and YogiKun)
  • Installed Avery's MV icons
  • Implemented Fencer's equipped skills
  • Adjusted Knight's Fortress skill
  • Prototyped some of the Fencer's Magic Blade Skills
  • Matched Fencer sprites to the actors.
  • Jobs Done: 10/16

Fencers

Fencers - Magic Blade.png

Fencer Skills.png

Obviously, balancing everything and making the rest of the non-equipped skills comes later, and will be put off until I've revised the story to my satisfaction.

Edit 2:  

• Installed some more plugins
  • Reworked the Fencer's Magic Blade skills with Yanfly's Enfire Tricks and Tips
  • Noticed that my SV Overlays for status ailments have mysteriously disappeared in battle (the file's still there though)
  • Experimented (unsuccessfully so far) with a Lich effect for the Hex class.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Azurecyan: What kind of status effects do you have in your game?

@Zeriab: I know! You can do all my other stuff so I have a fighting shot at meeting my December goals. *runs*

@ksjp17: As soon as I make sure all the little i's are dotted and the t's crossed. Going to try to tackle that this week sometime.

@Cinnamon Dev: Ah, bug hunting. Hopefully you don't have any big ones to squash.

@Aweed: Have you considered drawing out the map on paper first to see where things fit?

@Arithmetician: 10 jobs done? Congrats!

12.10 Update: First day back from being out sick, felt good to be back at the game. Managed to take today to create a spreadsheet and in it noted the average party stats for each key zone in the game. This way I don't accidentally do something silly like make a rat that does 9999 damage to the party. Funny thing is, the numbers seem kinda close to what I had, so maybe the rebalancing won't take too long?

Also proceeded to do light tweaks to Chapter 1 and early Chapter 2 as well, and did a speed run (aka all text on fast forward) to the mid point of Chapter 2. Now to try to fix what bothered me about the ending of Chapter 2 before I got ill, which will require a couple maps that I don't have yet. Thankfully they are small, as they are only used for cutscenes, so I can get away with a partial map if desired.

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
  • Figured out what caused my SV State Overlays to disappear - the Global State priority was too high.
  • Devised a Lich state
  • Implemented the rest of the Hex's Skills  (though Hexbreaker could change with more testing)
  • Matched Hex spites to the actors
  • Slight step backward on the gold icon when I was debugging, but I'll restore it later.
  • Jobs Done 11/16

Hexes

Hexes.png

Hex Skills.png

Edit:

• Completed core skills for the Magus (not all the spells though)
  • Matched Magus sprites to the actors
  • Jobs Done: 12/16

Magi

Magi.png

Magus Skills.png

Edit 2: And now the clerics, 13/16 jobs done.

Clerics

Clerics.png

Cleric Skills.png

That's it for tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

>Testing with fonts change.
>Tries installing a plugin. Doesn't work.
>Tries changing the plugin commands. Doesn't work.
>Tries installing another plugin. Doesn't work.
>Changes a few more plugin commands. Doesn't work.
>Goes directly to the gamefont file and changes the src. Works.

YYEEEAAAAHHHAAAA

Perseverance is key, bois and girls.
What Reviews say on RPG Maker MZ?
Looking back at some sketches, and game design documents on my PC dated summer of 2015. I started development with the release of MZ, but in 2015, I felt a strong desire to make a game out of the blue. I remember feeling sad for no apparent reason, and all these ideas rushed into my head. Now that I think about it, since that day, everything has become easier to do on my PC . . . it’s very creepy.
Everything's going to be alright! We're all in this together. <3
Aaaaannd published my game's tech demo. :D

Feel free to download and play it. And give feedback!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yatsekonn