Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Hello RPG maker folks,

I'm new here. :smile:
My journey with RPG Maker started with RPG2k and ended with XP. Since then, I've really lost track of how the products and communities around RPG makers are doing today. After hearing about MZ, I'd like to start developing commercial games. But I hesitate.

Here's the question: why isn't there a big dedicated marketplace for RPG maker games built like Steam? Why the fight with Steam and Co. where RPG maker games are less accepted or have difficulties with their visibility? A dedicated marketplace for a dedicated community would make sense, right? Like from RPG-Maker Gamers for RPG-Maker Gamers.

Is it because the community isn't that big? Or aren't there enough good quality games that people would pay for? Or has the community established the attitude that RPG maker games must be free?

I like to hear it from your perspective.
Thanks.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
There is. Aldorea is exactly what you're looking for. It's @Indinera 's website.
In the past there were a couple of other sites as well, with Aveyond/Amaranthia being the most popular among those, but the owner has moved on from rpg maker and I don't believe they're selling other devs' games anymore.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Or has the community established the attitude that RPG maker games must be free?
Not at all. As you can see from my signature, I have 4 commercially released games and am working (albeit somewhat slowly because of RL) on my 5th. There's a whole section here (link) for commercial games, but as slimmmeiske2 says, Aldorlea (link) is the best site for selling.

jkweath

Goes Fast
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will comment that while Aldorlea is the only dedicated commercial RPGMaker site (as far as I know), its community is geared mostly toward the "long story-driven fantasy jRPG" type of RPGMaker games. Nothing wrong with this, of course, but I've noticed that games that don't fit into that niche usually don't perform well (or at all).
It'd be nice to have a commercial RPGMaker website with a community that's more accepting of all RPGMaker games--or at least one that features different categories for different genres.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I started really going in on my project April of last year... I'm just now making starting the actual game... making assets (and not even all of them), whoooo... TIME SINK.

Imagine being a pleb and using --------------------.js :LZSwink:
Ami
--- Survival For RPGist Part 2 ---

Survivalist: Now,I going to Test you: Fishing with Spear
M.Spear Knight: Leave it to me.
(M.Spear Knight Spearing the Fish with His Battle Spear)
M.Spear Knight: How it is?
Survivalist: I know you did it,but...Is that the Spear for Battle,not for Fishing?
M.Spear Knight: But,is that same?
Survivalist: (Sigh)...Whatever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SosukeTheBro