Deep Rock Galactic: Danger. Darkness. Dwarves.

48Tentacles

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Logo_DRG_Shadow_WithSub_300dpi.png
TLDR:
DEEP ROCK GALACTIC is a co-op-first sci-fi FPS featuring badass space Dwarves, 100% destructible environments, procedurally-generated caves, and endless hordes of alien monsters.
For Steam, Xbox One and Microsoft store.

Imagine Minecraft and Starship Troopers are married and made a child together. That child is DRG.

You play as a team of dwarven space miners to complete missions for a company you're working named Deep Rock Galactic. The missions consist in activities related to mining: you have to collect a quantity of minerals, or you have to accompany a vehicle to get a very valuable mineral, or you have to construct and protect a refinery... while you defend yourself from an insane amount of hordes that will attack you without any second thought. You will be given a number of weapons and gadgets to help yourself and your entire team. Teamwork is key in this game. You can set up sentries, call for supplies, build platforms, make tunnels... in order to complete the mission.

I've been staying away from multiplayer games thanks to predatory practices like microtransactions, live services, and life expectancy from players (because you need players to keep a multiplayer game alive). Pretty much I was a hardcore Single Player games guy. Until I played this game.

Big names from big companies put microtransactions in their games. DRG does not.
In mobile games and Free 2 Play games there are premium skins and premium shops that you need to use your credit card. DRG does not.
AAA games need at most around 100GBs of space in order to play. DRG needs 3GBs.

If you are still not convinced with all above, maybe this narrated trailer will:

DRG was recommended by most of my friends and I didn't want to believe them because I thought they were shilling for that game. Months later I got hooked into the game after watching a few trailers and video reviews (made by regular users). I highly recommend this game, that's one of the most fun games I have played in years. And there's a very strong community, everyone is willing to help the newbies and gladly reply any questions asked. It's very rare to find a rogue player who will sabotage you and your teammates. Even if you end up playing alone you will be accompanied by a little cute robot named Bosco. If you put him to good use he will do half your job.

It does have a little bit of DLC, but they're literally all cosmetic. No DLC campaigns, no DLC weapons, no DLC gameplay things that will make you a Pay2Win player... the DLC of this game consists of exclusive skins, the Supporter Pack that gives you cosmetic gold features to publicly show that you supported the developers, and the soundtrack for this game.

In the game there are things you have to unlock by playing the game. You unlock weapon skins by upgrading those weapons, by playing the game. By using the credits and resources you obtain by playing the game. There is literally no way to spend your credit card money in that game except those DLCs and the soundtrack but that's it.

I can't think of a way to end this thread except for a few words that come to mind for some reason...

ROCK AND STONE

Last edited:

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been playing this for a bit after my friend said it's basically like Left 4 Dead in space, but I'm not really feeling it. Hard to say exactly what it is, but something's missing for me in this game. Maybe some story, or overarching goal to work towards. Playing it solo has also been kind of a miserable experience, where it feels like certain mission types just aren't made for solo play.
Not to say it's a bad game. It's quite enjoyable in co-op with my friend (then again, most games are...) Having ingame unlockables is nice; it's just sad the state of gaming has become so bad this is now a selling point.

48Tentacles

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hard to say exactly what it is, but something's missing for me in this game. Maybe some story, or overarching goal to work towards.
I can't blame you. The only story I know is found available in the wiki of DRG. While there is a little to tell about the story there are still conjectures, like who is Karl. I don't know, I like mysterious lore, maybe that's me.

In September 26th of 2019 they added an Update that focused pretty much on what the devs call "the end game", that gives special mods to weapons and special skins that you can't buy in the normal shop. Players who didn't reach their character levels to 25 and "be prestiged" at least once can't have that privilege. That, in my view, is the overarching goal and motivates me to play more missions and having fun.
Playing it solo has also been kind of a miserable experience, where it feels like certain mission types just aren't made for solo play.
You're right. With solo play you can enjoy more with specific missions (like the mining ones or looking for eggs) but with the rest you're going to spend much more time than if you were accompanied by teammates. I was once in an extermination solo mission for one hour, and the rewards weren't exactly appealing to me in the end.

Having ingame unlockables is nice; it's just sad the state of gaming has become so bad this is now a selling point.
I know right? I used to play games like Counter Strike and Rocket League but once they implemented these repetitive monetized characteristics I was like "I'm done with you" and went more into Single Player experiences.

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Seen a friend play it. Seen a review from a small-audience YouTuber I like. The game looks like a ton of fun, and it's on my Steam wishlist. Without a doubt, playing the one class that eventually gets a plasma gun. He's even got a red outfit. :p

It kinda reminds me of Minecraft with sci-fi weapons, but where each generated world is a) a lot smaller and b) actually has an objective. Also fills the void in my heart from not having space dwarves in Warhammer 40k. If you're up for watching it, I don't think this guy gets enough views. He's got a chill but insightful style of describing the gameplay.

48Tentacles

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Seen a friend play it. Seen a review from a small-audience YouTuber I like. The game looks like a ton of fun, and it's on my Steam wishlist. Without a doubt, playing the one class that eventually gets a plasma gun. He's even got a red outfit. :p

It kinda reminds me of Minecraft with sci-fi weapons, but where each generated world is a) a lot smaller and b) actually has an objective. Also fills the void in my heart from not having space dwarves in Warhammer 40k. If you're up for watching it, I don't think this guy gets enough views. He's got a chill but insightful style of describing the gameplay.
Saw the video, this guy looks good with a nice and clean microphone like some Youtubers I follow. And he describes the game pretty well.

About that plasma gun. The Driller is the only one who's able to use it, and you require the level class 15 to unlock the assignment, complete it and you get the gun. This gun makes wonders that you wouldn't believe, like for example taking the Engineers' and Scouts' jobs with specific builds on mining activities.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hey everyone! No Studio Blue RPG Maker Critiques Stream today! But you can always check the playlist for old streams you've missed!

I ran out of paper sheets to draw, so I guess I'm forced to do digital for a while now...
x778xt8.jpg

Still haven0t found a colouring style that I like :kaoswt:
woods.pngshop.jpgboss.jpgRoom.png

Mapping is becoming so much easier!
FirestormNeos wrote on Neikoku's profile.
the cat in your profile picture is adorable
Are the default-size "chibi" sprites really a bad thing for a project? I'm not planning to sell my game anyway but I was wondering if they were as hated as some videos seem to claim...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GalertyEarth