Default Inventory System for VNmaker

Discussion in 'Visual Novel Maker Improvement Boards' started by Canini, Mar 11, 2018.

?

Is it necessary to have a callable inventory event/interface built into VNmaker as a default?

1. Yes

39 vote(s)
    95.1%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Default Inventory System for VNmaker
    • A default inventory that can be called as a common event just like the message box
    • A simple inventory that can store 4-8 items that the player can aquire

Mockups:
    [​IMG]

Why is this feature good?
    • I think many people, both players and developers came to the Visual Novel Genre from the Ace Attorney game or Point and Click games and would appreciate a rudimentary inventory already implemented into the engine
    • Even if you are making a more traditional Visual Novel you can make some variations by showing some items instead of actual respons choices.

Possible issues with this feature?
    • Far from all visual novels uses an inventory and if it is a part of the default interface via common events there may be conflict problems.
    • There are already a large amount of inventory tutorials on youtube and other websites. Is it necessary to have one built into the engine?

Although it is fairly easy to cobble together a inventory from online tutorials, I think that a lot of people coming to VNmaker are fairly new at game developement and would appreciate a really simple inventory system. It could be called like a common event (just like the message box) either by certain points in the game or by the player him/herself. Under the collection tab in the editor there could be an additional collection list called "Inventory items" where the developer could add the graphics for the items. Then, when things happen in the game there could be a aquire item event (just like join screen, for example) which means the item is placed in the inventory. Naturally there is a similiar even for when an item is used or consumed. I am aware that far from all Visual Novels have use for something like this, but I hope this thread works as a gauge of how many Vns use a inventory system.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2018
    LysRose, Suiton00, Guiguimu and 4 others like this.
  2. Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith Developer of "Delta Origins" Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Great idea. I voted "yes".

LysRose, Canini and Guiguimu like this.
  3. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Nice, I appreciate it! It seems like this suggestion is popular. It would be great to know from the developer if this feature would be easy to implement or if it would require a substantial rewrite of the engine.

Thomas Smith likes this.
  4. Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith Developer of "Delta Origins" Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yup, 16 votes up and 0 votes down. XD

5. LysRose

LysRose Villager Member

First Language:
    Rus/speak Eng
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Voted too. That would be a very useful function indeed! Please, developers, do it!

By the way could you please help me with inventory tutorials. Are there any on the theme except the manual and KnightVil Entertainment youtube videos? I would be so thankful!

6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @LysRose Please do not hi-jack a thread with an unrelated query.
    Start a new thread in VNMaker Support and ask there.
    Thanks.

7. Yunan

Yunan The Silver Stein Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Yeeees pleeeeasse!! :biggrin::stickytongue:

8. Deldel

Deldel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    That would be awesome!
    edit: It double posted, sorry! Didn't find an option to delete the message :(
    edit 2 : nvm my computer is crazy ....

9. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    I noticed that a few no votes have started to appear. I am actually grateful for this, as I feel it brings greater legitimate to the question. Remember, while the inventory idea is a neat one it could be created with tutorials or plugins. The vote is wether it is worth to add it to the default engine!

LysRose likes this.
  10. FoxySeta

FoxySeta Cleric, script kiddie and fudanshi Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Noticed this thread after months :kaomad2:
    Voted yes obv.
    The best VNs out there are either investigative (so you need to store evidence/people profiles somewhere) or escape-the-room (where putting tools in your bag is essentials) IMAO. Also, I've seen otome-like modes of VNs where you choose an item from your inventory as a gift for the NPC.

EDIT: I haven't seen an extension for this yet, so if the devs aren't going to implement this someone should start working on it

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Canini likes this.
  11. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Thanks for voting!
    Yes, hopefully this feature can be implemented into the game engine somewhere down the road, as there seems to be an overwhelming need for the feature. Some of the old tutorials I found about how to make an inventory has also been taken down unfortunately so the need for this for the average user is greater than ever.

FoxySeta likes this.