Define where the RTP path is?

Chaeeg

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey everyone,

Not sure if this is the correct forum to use for this, but I have recently had the urge to work on RPG Maker VX Ace while at school (on my laptop), but the laptop is school issued so it blocks a lot of things you put on it.

However, there's one specific folder on the computer that acts as a secret "everything works" folder. I put the installation of RPG Maker VX Ace in there, as well as the RTP folder, however, when I run the .exe, it says the RTP is not installed.

Is there any way to manually tell RPG Maker that the RTP is located in that folder, or does it have to be installed in the specific folder that it checks? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chaeeg

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
AFAIK, people have been able to change the paths for that... check the Registry (if you don't know how to manage the registry, read tutorials and take care coz a wrong edit might cause a lot of problems for you) if the install path of the RTP is there, if yes then change it to be equal to the new location...

or import all the RTP files (or only the files that you use) into your game folder then open the game.ini file and remove the RTP line so that it won't check for the RTP (also makes it such that you can ship the game without needing to have the RTP)... if you did the import only what you use, then everytime you need a file from the RTP, you would use the import manager to look for the file and import it...

Chaeeg

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I used the second method of importing, and it lets me run the game, however I can't work on it (which is what I wanted to do), since I have to open the RMVX Ace program before I can edit it.

I'm pretty sure I'm simply missing the file that lets you work on it in the actual game folder, so if that's the case is there any way I can get it? If not I'll try to find it when I get on my home computer.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
then maybe RPG maker still needs the RTP for it to open, so try to do the registry check to see if the RTP path is specified... btw, have you actually installed the RTP or simply copy-pasted it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaeeg

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sadly, I can't run the regedit command on this laptop (with all its restrictions).

I think I'm just out of luck for this. Guess I'll keep editting it purely at home and not during my breaks at school.

Thanks for the help,

Chaeeg

EDIT: I simply copy-pasted the RTP. Do you think running the install in the folder would work?

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
yeah try to install directly in that folder... so that any registry item that needs to be written will be written

Chaeeg

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah, as I figured running the install program is blocked by group policy, so I'm unable to do anything with it.

Thanks for the help, though! :)

kerbonklin

Hiatus King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Curse the system! xD

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I see, that's a shame... well maybe just stay doing your project from your own comp for now...

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
I remember that in school back them I would have a registry file on the flash disk and press that and it automatically edits the school registry to find the RTP in my Flash Drive and allows me to use RM. But I can't remember how to do that ;~;

muramasa

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Well, you can generate a reg file by using regedit, you just need to locate the entry at RegEdit, and go to File->Export. After that, you can edit the .reg file with Notepad.

For the RTP location for example, all it says is this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Enterbrain\RGSS3\RTP]"RPGVXAce"="C:\\Program Files\\Enterbrain\\RGSS3\\RPGVXAce\\"(I don't remember the original location for the RTP, as I've already put it in somewhere else).

As you can see, you can easily change the RPGVXAce line to point the location you want (i.e. your flash drive) inside Notepad. I don't give you an actual .reg file because I know nothing of where you want to put your RTP files :-D.

And after all that, you save the file as something.reg and voilà.

So, good luck! if you want to try that is (it's your registry, I can't decide for you, neither know if it will work),

Orochii Zouveleki

PD.: Also, if your regedit is being restricted, there is a possibility of Windows not wanting to accept changes made by .reg files. I don't know because my Windows installation is always open-minded.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
yes that exactly haha. Don't forget to put quotation marks when saving as so it would turn as .reg.

You can always edit it with notepad if the location changed from pc to pc.

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
muramasa saved me the time to look for it and post it.  I had to do this when I uninstalled the Steam version and kept the PC version without re-installing the RTP all over again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

*when the One Map Challenge is the only time you can finish a game*
Drifty wanted to make sure the default MV spark animation lived on, so he made it in Effekseer for the contest :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:
Thanks to a post in a forum thread we can better create MV/MZ plugins in Haxe.
Latest video of my adventures in Kingdom Hearts 3~
Imagine every unfunny joke gets a laugh track, and it doesn't top until you genuinely laugh at that unfunny joke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheFaz