Degica Publishing

Dream3r

90% Dreamer, 100% Dedicated
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So I noticed the Midweek madness sale on Steam with Degica as a publisher and it got me wondering...  Under what circumstances does Degica publish games?  I didn't see To the Moon on there so I'm assuming they weren't just listing RPGM games but truly published by Degica.  Does anyone know if they reach out to you or under what circumstances do you get contacted for publishment?

Thanks and if this has been asked before my apologies, I did search for publishing and Degica before posting this thread so I tried to avoid repeating something already answered.  As for me asking it's more so just out of curiosity.  Steam taking thirty percent (according to rumor nothing official) of your sales plus whatever Degica would take out for publishing wouldn't leave much room for profit so it may not even be something I'd personally do but knowledge is always beneficial should I need to seek publishing at some point.  (I also have my eyes on 11 Bit Studios and Devolver Digital)

Last edited by a moderator:

seita

Donn_M
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
May want to redact that part about how much steam takes ;p It's part of their NDA not to disclose that information.

As for publishing, I can't speak for them but it wouldn't hurt to contact them about it.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
We generally hunt for games to publish, though sometimes things end up coming to us. We picked up several of the games entered into the IGMC that either did well, or the issues with them were mostly polish and we thought could be really good if spruced up. If a developer comes to us, we look at the game they have now, and see if we think its worth it to us, and then if we decide it would be good to pick up, work something out with the dev.

Another thing we look for, though this isn't relevant to you specifically, are Japanese indie games that would probably never get a EN release because the genres are just not looked at by most publishers. We just announced today that we are releasing XIIZeal, which is the second Japanese Doujin Shmup that we've released, the first being Crimzon Clover (which I am told is amazing, and is on sale for only 2 bucks right now), and that entire genre just isn't much seen in the EN PC market.

Anyway, I think its worth it to a dev, unless they really want to do all the leg work of marketing and dealing with storefronts and all that jazz themselves.

Dream3r

90% Dreamer, 100% Dedicated
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
May want to redact that part about how much steam takes ;p It's part of their NDA not to disclose that information.

As for publishing, I can't speak for them but it wouldn't hurt to contact them about it.
Good point, I haven't agreed to their NDA for anything nor have I been shown any facts but after information such as the paid Skyrim mods was released and Valve claiming that the 30% take they took in that deal was their average take I assumed it was public knowledge at this point.  But wouldn't want to cause trouble with Valve regardless so I'll put a disclaimer.

We generally hunt for games to publish, though sometimes things end up coming to us. We picked up several of the games entered into the IGMC that either did well, or the issues with them were mostly polish and we thought could be really good if spruced up. If a developer comes to us, we look at the game they have now, and see if we think its worth it to us, and then if we decide it would be good to pick up, work something out with the dev.

Anyway, I think its worth it to a dev, unless they really want to do all the leg work of marketing and dealing with storefronts and all that jazz themselves.
That's good to know.  I'll be entering the IGMC this year and I do expect to do well, if not win, but that's something we'll just have to wait and see.  If I did win the budget for Out of the Storm (current project) would be covered but if not it may be time to look for outside help.  That being said even if the budget is covered I don't have any marketing experience and as much as I want to believe word of mouth will work if people care about our game, that has yet to be seen though granted we've yet to show any substantial gameplay.  (Not due to choice, just haven't had the money to pay for assets and flesh out mechanics)

Like I said, ideally it would be great to stay independent if it's just a matter of creative freedom vs more success, but if it's a matter of morals being broken vs your game not being created at all...I'm going to go with the publishing.

Thanks you two for the information and hopefully I'm able to get the necessary attention through IGMC 2015 to make my game(s) a reality, be it purely from fans or from possible publishers.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good to know that if your project is of a good enough quality that it could be considered for release officially. 

I also agree that not having to deal with marketing and all that crap is worth (almost) any percentage that anyone may wish to take ^_^

Shelby

Diva
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
So I'm still not seeing where to contact them?? Or did I miss something here?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My first Video Scene - Kraken Art By @whtdragon -

Still needs work but its a start.
Considering a side project of making a Choose Your Own Adventure in MV but letting people play it as YouTube videos with the choices at the end leading to other videos. Thoughts?
I've made a rudimentary prototype map for the first game with the MV RTP overworld tiling. I'm probably going to photoshop the crap out of it for parallax, but the prototype has given me new ideas about how I want to place dungeons in the game.
I got tired of not having an avatar image. Couldn't think of anything cool. So I'm just using my game's antagonist instead... How original. At least both of our names start with C?
Expectation: Design/dev a game for the game jam | Reality: "These codes suck, why did I do it this way? lemme fix this. Also what if I add feature xyz because... well, I can."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tocilux