Deficiency Productionz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Aaaaaaaaa! Thanks so much for playing!
Controls have been mentioned to me in the past and I'm very interested in pixel movement going forward. Are you paying attention to telegraphs? Combat is very reactive, so choosing the optimal ability is crucial for success. For example, the "hunker" command is actually useful in Throne. Additionally, consumable items are a necessity.
Most fights are completely optional, but at the moment there isnt a completely "pacifist run" when some bosses are taken into account. Battles become significantly easier as you find character upgrades. The demo doesn't really have a set ending either (unless you count the end of the world) It's more about exploration and reaching milestones at the moment.
Zeda is a trinity, one of which is heavily characterized by bloodlust. Things need to be sacrificed for creation to take place. I think of Sol as a force of nature which is just now forming his motivations. The "blind idiot god" idea definitely applies here.
I can see how better-lit areas would provide some beneficial contrast. And I'm sooooooo glad you like the tarot system! It was a challenge to implement, but I really feel like it adds depth to combat.

Your support in particular has been very motivational, Alice, so thank you :)

EDIT: released a new hotfix which fixes some bugs :)

Last edited:

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you paying attention to telegraphs? Combat is very reactive, so choosing the optimal ability is crucial for success. For example, the "hunker" command is actually useful in Throne. Additionally, consumable items are a necessity.

Ya, I went down the well now, and I see what you mean. Parrying was pretty satisfying when I got to anticipate it properly! Sadly, that big pincer type beast got me...

Another satisfying thing: getting to light the sconces. :biggrin: I know it probs doesn't do anything, except in that sokoban room, but it's still fun to get to permanently affect my environment.

EDIT: Soo... I was cornered by a couple of gallboys, and the fight went poorly for me. I thought it best to fold, hiked up my skirts and fled, but lo! I was still cornered! So I had to fight the gallboys all over again, and this time they were back up to full health... But miraculously, I won! :biggrin: Prob because one of them fled.

The problem, besides my fleeing being ineffective? Once Gallboy B had fled, the game still informed me that "Gallboy B is racing towards you!" Every turn.

Managing my focus points is starting to be pretty cool, although I still suck at fighting. Also, I really don't want to use my consumables, because everybody knows you gotta save up your potions till the last possible moment! :biggrin:

Aaand... one last thing mebbe? If you got the time for it, the walking animations could use a bit of polish. Odessa walks a wee bit stiffly, wouldn't ya say? :biggrin: That's probably the only one I'd focus on if you can spare the spoons, since Odessa's the one we're gonna be staring at the most.

Last edited:

deficiencyproductionz

Deficiency Productionz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ya, I went down the well now, and I see what you mean. Parrying was pretty satisfying when I got to anticipate it properly! Sadly, that big pincer type beast got me...

Another satisfying thing: getting to light the sconces. :biggrin: I know it probs doesn't do anything, except in that sokoban room, but it's still fun to get to permanently affect my environment.

EDIT: Soo... I was cornered by a couple of gallboys, and the fight went poorly for me. I thought it best to fold, hiked up my skirts and fled, but lo! I was still cornered! So I had to fight the gallboys all over again, and this time they were back up to full health... But miraculously, I won! :biggrin: Prob because one of them fled.

The problem, besides my fleeing being ineffective? Once Gallboy B had fled, the game still informed me that "Gallboy B is racing towards you!" Every turn.

Managing my focus points is starting to be pretty cool, although I still suck at fighting. Also, I really don't want to use my consumables, because everybody knows you gotta save up your potions till the last possible moment! :biggrin:

Aaand... one last thing mebbe? If you got the time for it, the walking animations could use a bit of polish. Odessa walks a wee bit stiffly, wouldn't ya say? :biggrin: That's probably the only one I'd focus on if you can spare the spoons, since Odessa's the one we're gonna be staring at the most.
The bladespawn is challenging, but with a little strategy its attainable to defeat early-game.
Nice job beating the gallboys! Hopefully the reward is worth the effort.
I'm really glad you enjoy the resource management aspects :smile: It's smart to save your consumables. Of course, crystal flasks and fonts refill everytime you sleep.
Yeah, the Odessa sprite could use some work. I've been iterating the same stiff base sprite for a while now, so it's probably time for an overhaul. :rswt
I'll get to work on these suggestions right away! I've already gotten the pixel movement you suggested functional, and it feels much better.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I beat the bladespawn and levelled! :biggrin: Shield bash made it actually pretty easy. Say, would it be a hassle to tell the player at the very beginning how levelling works? Like, in DS1 they jus' told us, plain and simple, to get souls and level up. I know part and parcel of the Soulslike getup is bein' cryptic, but how about just plain ol' telling us, "Yo, get stuff to sacrifice for Zeda to level up."

Aaand... in case the game did tell me this and I just forgot it... sorry. :biggrin: My ability to focus reeeally sucks sometimes!

Also, do the various caves connect? I haven't really explored everything thoroughly yet, but just in case they don't, make them connect please? :biggrin: :biggrin: But only if it's fitting, of course. Also also, the caves I was in seem a bit too similar, in terms of looks... Could we do something to that? Like... I dunno... a different colour palette? Or different layouts, or something? I know that you probably want the caves to be pretty narrow, so avoiding the enemies isn't so easy, but... I dunno. Something?

Like, in the well in Membré, there are spikes and the walls loom close and claustrophobic. What if the next cave was instead constrained space-wise by chasms? Like, you could have a similar design, in that the player has little room to manoeuvre in and avoid the monsters, but the looks are different since it's chasms instead of walls that limit the movement. Stuff like that?

I know I've only been to, like, what, two caves? So maybe this isn't an issue at all, maybe you got all these super diverse caves waiting for me. But... y'know, just in case! :biggrin:

deficiencyproductionz

Deficiency Productionz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I beat the bladespawn and levelled! :biggrin: Shield bash made it actually pretty easy. Say, would it be a hassle to tell the player at the very beginning how levelling works? Like, in DS1 they jus' told us, plain and simple, to get souls and level up. I know part and parcel of the Soulslike getup is bein' cryptic, but how about just plain ol' telling us, "Yo, get stuff to sacrifice for Zeda to level up."

Aaand... in case the game did tell me this and I just forgot it... sorry. :biggrin: My ability to focus reeeally sucks sometimes!

Also, do the various caves connect? I haven't really explored everything thoroughly yet, but just in case they don't, make them connect please? :biggrin: :biggrin: But only if it's fitting, of course. Also also, the caves I was in seem a bit too similar, in terms of looks... Could we do something to that? Like... I dunno... a different colour palette? Or different layouts, or something? I know that you probably want the caves to be pretty narrow, so avoiding the enemies isn't so easy, but... I dunno. Something?

Like, in the well in Membré, there are spikes and the walls loom close and claustrophobic. What if the next cave was instead constrained space-wise by chasms? Like, you could have a similar design, in that the player has little room to manoeuvre in and avoid the monsters, but the looks are different since it's chasms instead of walls that limit the movement. Stuff like that?

I know I've only been to, like, what, two caves? So maybe this isn't an issue at all, maybe you got all these super diverse caves waiting for me. But... y'know, just in case! :biggrin:
Congrats on the bladespawn kill! Ideally, chaining parry and shield bash should be effective but very costly on FP
Some major caves interconnect. I'll work on making more connections in the future because I see that as a great reward. I like the chasm idea-- that's a very good solution to mix things up. Reminds me of the level where you meet Sabin in ff6.
I'm painting the textures, so I want to find creative ways to get all I can out of my work. There are very unique caves waiting to be discovered! Unless major bugs are reported, I'm going to hold off a few weeks for the next update so I can release something substantial!

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some major caves interconnect. I'll work on making more connections in the future because I see that as a great reward. I like the chasm idea-- that's a very good solution to mix things up. Reminds me of the level where you meet Sabin in ff6.

Yay! Also, this made me wonder... what'd happen if ya were to rethink the whole cave thing from the ground up? Y'know, to decide how the caves were actually formed or made... I mean, in a lot of RPGs, mine included, caves just sorta are there, so that they can contain monsters, treasures, and a boss. They're just kinda, "Imma put this series of caves here as a backdrop. Ta-da. This cave is lava, this cave is ice. This cave's for flava, this is for fries." It's, y'know, mechanistic? But... what if it weren't?

Like, what if we were to think what the caves are there for? Why were they formed? What's the story behind it? Why is the cave here? Who lived in it? Who lives in it now? Why?

I mean, if we think of DS1, many "dungeons" are there for a reason. There's a story behind each one. Or, that's what it feels like. Like the Undead Asylum. The story? Undead started to pop up, so they needed a place to lock 'em all up. What better place than some godforsaken mountains, where nobody goes anyway? Just pop an impregnable fortress there and get a big, brawny demon to guard it. Then forget it for a thousand years, 'cause you got it all set. Presto! The Undead Asylum.

Or the Depths? Simpler, but really makes sense: you got all these apartments in the Burg. Where do you drain all the poop that gets made there? In the Depths. You don't need light there, since nobody would go there anyway, all you need are tunnels for sewage. Then, once you got it set up, you've made a perfect habitat for things that need darkness, dampness, and privacy. Like... slimes.

It just dawned on me big time, but once we think of dungeon design this way, we won't have as much trouble with trying to come up with something "new" or trying "diversify" our design or whatever. Once we know the history of our dungeons, we know what they're like. All that's left is to just paint 'em up! (Uh, ideally, anyway. :biggrin:)

And yeah, I know this is not the most original idea, but it just... I dunno... grew on me forcefully just now. So sorry 'bout the rant. :biggrin:

deficiencyproductionz

Deficiency Productionz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yay! Also, this made me wonder... what'd happen if ya were to rethink the whole cave thing from the ground up? Y'know, to decide how the caves were actually formed or made... I mean, in a lot of RPGs, mine included, caves just sorta are there, so that they can contain monsters, treasures, and a boss. They're just kinda, "Imma put this series of caves here as a backdrop. Ta-da. This cave is lava, this cave is ice. This cave's for flava, this is for fries." It's, y'know, mechanistic? But... what if it weren't?

Like, what if we were to think what the caves are there for? Why were they formed? What's the story behind it? Why is the cave here? Who lived in it? Who lives in it now? Why?

I mean, if we think of DS1, many "dungeons" are there for a reason. There's a story behind each one. Or, that's what it feels like. Like the Undead Asylum. The story? Undead started to pop up, so they needed a place to lock 'em all up. What better place than some godforsaken mountains, where nobody goes anyway? Just pop an impregnable fortress there and get a big, brawny demon to guard it. Then forget it for a thousand years, 'cause you got it all set. Presto! The Undead Asylum.

Or the Depths? Simpler, but really makes sense: you got all these apartments in the Burg. Where do you drain all the poop that gets made there? In the Depths. You don't need light there, since nobody would go there anyway, all you need are tunnels for sewage. Then, once you got it set up, you've made a perfect habitat for things that need darkness, dampness, and privacy. Like... slimes.

It just dawned on me big time, but once we think of dungeon design this way, we won't have as much trouble with trying to come up with something "new" or trying "diversify" our design or whatever. Once we know the history of our dungeons, we know what they're like. All that's left is to just paint 'em up! (Uh, ideally, anyway. :biggrin:)

And yeah, I know this is not the most original idea, but it just... I dunno... grew on me forcefully just now. So sorry 'bout the rant. :biggrin:
That's an interesting point. I'd have to argue for my dungeons here. While the visual design is admittedly in the works, there is lore behind each cave. A new civilization has been built atop the old one. For example, the well is attached to a catacomb of mummified children who were drained of their blood in rituals to Zeda. The walls have stone replicas of their faces in memory, and slots for each body. Of course, this has long fallen into disrepair and is now inhabited by a terrible bladespawn. There are several subterranean complexes built to protect ancient artifacts. One altar is a place of ritual ascension for mages of the old city. The throne room is obviously not just a cave. My point is, each cave is important from a lore perspective. The overall design is not as distinct as in dark souls, and I'm working on that. You are playing an alpha demo, and things will change in the future.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's an interesting point. I'd have to argue for my dungeons here. While the visual design is admittedly in the works, there is lore behind each cave. A new civilization has been built atop the old one. For example, the well is attached to a catacomb of mummified children who were drained of their blood in rituals to Zeda. The walls have stone replicas of their faces in memory, and slots for each body. Of course, this has long fallen into disrepair and is now inhabited by a terrible bladespawn. There are several subterranean complexes built to protect ancient artifacts. One altar is a place of ritual ascension for mages of the old city. The throne room is obviously not just a cave. My point is, each cave is important from a lore perspective. The overall design is not as distinct as in dark souls, and I'm working on that. You are playing an alpha demo, and things will change in the future.

I see you got it covered already! :biggrin: Imma try and get deeper in the demo soon, been out gettin' apples and stuff.

EDIT: I spoke with Woodrow and slept by his fire, and the game progressed again. It made me wonder, was there a way to rest (i.e. recover HP and FP) without progressing? If there was, I must have missed it...

Last edited:

deficiencyproductionz

Deficiency Productionz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I see you got it covered already! :biggrin: Imma try and get deeper in the demo soon, been out gettin' apples and stuff.

EDIT: I spoke with Woodrow and slept by his fire, and the game progressed again. It made me wonder, was there a way to rest (i.e. recover HP and FP) without progressing? If there was, I must have missed it...
There are a few one-time heals which are secrets to be discovered. Otherwise, the beds are the only way to fully heal. If you're strategic with tarot and ethereal blood, this shouldn't be incredibly limiting. Of course, players should be encouraged to keep time moving.

AbstractMan

Forever lost in the Tea Room of Despair
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I must say that this game has an amazing atmosphere. It’s art direction, music, and sound effects all work perfectly to create a bleak hopelessness that my sick self enjoys in a game. Great job.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there a way to beat the Prowler in the demo? I guess I need that petrification resistance Woodrow was talking about, but I haven't found it yet.

Also, have I told you how awesome it is that one of your elemental types is salt? 'Cause it's very awesome. :biggrin:

deficiencyproductionz

Deficiency Productionz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I must say that this game has an amazing atmosphere. It’s art direction, music, and sound effects all work perfectly to create a bleak hopelessness that my sick self enjoys in a game. Great job.
Yo-- thank you, truly! I'm the same type of sick person, so lets enjoy this pot of bitter tea together. Still trying to get some traction, so spread the word to anyone else you think might be interested!
Is there a way to beat the Prowler in the demo? I guess I need that petrification resistance Woodrow was talking about, but I haven't found it yet.
Also, have I told you how awesome it is that one of your elemental types is salt? 'Cause it's very awesome. :biggrin:

Thanks Alice! There is indeed a way!! Pay attention to
nearby wall etchings
. It's easy to get the
tarot card
you need in this demo, but an update is coming soon regarding that in particular. Topical: parchmente.png

deficiencyproductionz

Deficiency Productionz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
NEW LORE TRAILER AND A TON OF TINY UPDATES! Let me know what you think! You're the best!

deficiencyproductionz

Deficiency Productionz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm getting interviewed on RPG Maker Cola, and we're taking a Q&A! Tell me anywhere if you have a question to submit :))

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I wish character bust packs had options for both side-facing and front-facing for the same characters.
Looks like I'm going to have to cancel another game.
For now it is in testing phase: Changing the game icon from Rm2k/2k3 without needing to edit the executable.
Rm2k-DinChangeIcon.png
When there's a will, there's a lifehack. :ninja:

Before i mess with battle UI further, does it look decent enough? :hswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebivy