[DEMO] Lost Legend: Dawn of the Managate

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Nanaki_Fan, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Nanaki_Fan

Nanaki_Fan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Progress report:

I've currently made a few more maps for the game, expanded on some old ones and added in some new areas.

enemies have been tweaked to give a little more exp and less gold for balancing.

In the meantime I am working on unique equipment for the various characters as well as new items and skills.

I hope to have a new demo up tomorrow night!

2. RPGator

RPGator Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I actually just downloaded the demo you have out earlier today (awesome title sequence btw). Would you suggest waiting for the new demo? I don't want to play and give you feedback on the current demo if the new one is much different!

3. Nanaki_Fan

First Language:
    English
    I would recommend that you wait for the new demo :)

EDIT: To give you an idea of some changes I am implementing for characters:

- Fletch:

Can now equip Quivers. They don't offer any defensive bonuses but increase atk, agi and offer resistances.

- Gizmo:

No longer uses claw weapons. Uses Guns!

Can carry a "side arm". A side arm takes the place of the shield slot, it decreases defense and agi but increases atk and offers access to new skills. Depending on the side arm equipped you can access double, triple and multi-shot skills.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2016
    RPGator likes this.
  4. leon93

leon93 Veteran Veteran

I can see your efforts in the beautiful environments.

But if you are pushing for a commercial release, you should include more custom resources especially for your original characters as the standards of rpg maker games is rising with the release of MV. Your gameplay video should be at the top of your first thread so it will gain the most exposure and let others understand how the game actually is.

Cheers and happy game making!

Leon

5. Nanaki_Fan

First Language:
    English
    Hello Leon,

Actually my videos and screenshots are massively out of date. My main characters no longer us the default face-sets and use custom ones as well as sprites. I will get round to updating the first post sometime soon.

6. Krad1213

Krad1213 Laughin-Prince Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Aww I wanted to try this Demo but the download won't work D:

Nanaki_Fan likes this.
  7. Nanaki_Fan

First Language:
    English
    Yeah I took the demo down while I work on a new version :)

8. Nanaki_Fan

First Language:
    English
    Updated first post with new pictures as the other ones were really outdated!

Still working on a new demo :) so for now the link still wont work.

9. Krad1213

Krad1213 Laughin-Prince Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    How do you get the sun beams OwO

10. Nanaki_Fan

First Language:
    English
    Parallax mapping :)

I use lots of different layers in my maps. While the path/maps are pretty basic and shouldn't NEED parallax mapping I use it to enhance my environments.

11. Freank

Freank Veteran Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    nice work !

Nanaki_Fan likes this.
  12. Stanley

Stanley Nobody, Joystrike Scientist Veteran

First Language:
    Malay, Lotudian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just downloaded this one demo out (because the demo link in the OP leads to an empty Google Drive folder named "lostlegendnew"). Gonna try it out. 

EDIT: Just played it until the party's return to Vendale, the party froze after talking with Ruhl's grandpa when they were going to report to the mayor what had happened, couldn't move, couldn't open the menu. Intro is nice. Lance's motive made him somewhat likeable as a villain. Mapping is quite okay. I like how to town guards only took 4-5 damage while I take 30-40ish damage in the beginning haha. However, I somewhat can't buy the plotpoint where Gizmo is captured, questioned and tortured and Lance learnt of the managate's fragment location all too easily by the time Ruhl and Fletch arrived there. I think...there should be a lil more development in there. Battle is fast paced but I hope you make it at least a lil more strategic. Overall, 65/100. Keep it up!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2016
    Nanaki_Fan likes this.
  13. Nanaki_Fan

First Language:
    English
    Hey!

Firstly I was horrified that you got access to an old demo! Then I was happy because it means if you play the new one you might appreciate the improvements more :)

Thank you for the mini review, lots of points to consider. I made the guards at the start really tough because the early battles can overwhelm the player to start with. Gizmo's plot point is that she was researching the ruins when lance turned up. Lance already knows the ruins hide something and he thinks Gizmo knows what it is. Lance makes a good villain?......hehe.

Anyway I hope you enjoy the new demo when I release it and come back and try it out!

Stanley likes this.
  14. Stanley

Stanley Nobody, Joystrike Scientist Veteran

First Language:
    Malay, Lotudian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Nanaki_Fan

Okay, keep us posted

Nanaki_Fan likes this.
  15. Nanaki_Fan

First Language:
    English
    Will do :)

16. Nanaki_Fan

First Language:
    English
    Hello everyone! Thank you very much for you patience on this new demo. It has been a lot of work bringing this all in line with a lot of my older maps being redone and changed to reflect all the new things I have learned this last year. I have taken all the feedback from previous versions and attempted to implement many of the suggestions. The result is new demo, which provides more of a deeper story, background and greater game play which has become a 2+hour demo.

I have updated the first post with new images for the Characters section so you can all get a look at who they are!

Before I get on to the DEMO link and the change log there are some points I want to discus which are mainly for me but I feel I should share. Some are development topics and others are tips for the game.

1) My demo change log has been jumped to version 2.0.0. I am going to be using this standard from now. The first digit will change when a major update is done. So a version 3.0.0 will appear when a lot of new content has been added. The second digit will change if its just a fix update. So for example a 2.1.0 means that something has been fixed. The final digit will change if its just a very small amount of content added (like a new item) or just a bunch of tweaks, not necessarily new content have been made (i.e re-balancing, adjusting item prices). So for example 2.0.1 means something small has changed. This is just easier for me to keep an eye on older versions and see what changes worked/did not work. It also allows me to know what version people are playing :)
    (NOTE: I might had a version number to the menu or something)

2) This game project started off as a bit of fun then I really got into it and suddenly I found it a little overwhelming with real life stuff that also needed doing. While I am not very well known on the forums, I have to say that popping in every now and then to ask stupid questions has made me realize what a great community this forum is. Everyone has been really helpful and my motivation to release this new demo was helped by the fact that when I hit a stumbling block and I posted a thread about what I needed/wanted someone always pointed me in the right direction. So thank you. This is as much your demo as it is mine.

3) This is just a demo and things can and possibly will change. I am not claiming to be a great story teller or game designer but I really hope that you guys enjoy this. Please please please do tell me what you liked, what you did not like and more importantly don't be afraid of hurting my feelings. Honesty is best when it comes to game development. How else am I supposed to learn?

4) I have been thinking of doing some google sheets about the items, locations and creatures you can find in game to help players who become stuck or wish to know more about certain skills or items. Do you think this is a good idea?

5) I claim 2+ Hours on the Demo but this is based on my play through. I know where all the secret areas are so I have a little bit more to explore and wander around. It is possible to blast through the demo in 2 hours or less but you would have to be taking some major short cuts.

6) Talk to everyone and search everywhere. NPC's can point you to secret areas, offer game play advice or tell you something you didn't know! Also search everywhere. I love old school RPGS and as such there are many hidden areas and items. Some items are plain to see with a little "star" shinning on them. Others might just look like static objects. Found a rusty key? Think: Where did you last see a locked door? An item looks out of place? Interact with it. Seriously, there's lots of mini rewards to be had by just interacting with stuff. Back to NPC's: I don't have a quest system but some NPC's will ask you for favors if you talk to them.

Anyway, my mini rants over! To the demo.

DEMO:

The demo can be found here. First post has also been updated.

So whats new? Well a lot! Here is a breakdown of whats changed in case anyone here who played the old demos is curious:

New in Version 2.0.0:

Characters:

- Gizmo has been completely redone. She no longer uses "claw" weapons but instead focuses on Pistols and gadgets. She can equip a "side arm" that allows access to a double shot; some pistols unlock new elemental skills too.

- Fletch has had some balancing worked done, with damage and skill costs adjusted. He became very powerful at a very quick pace and these changes have been made to reduce that power play.

- Fletch can no longer wear shields, but he can now equip quivers which affect his damage output.

- Rhul had some tweaks done and now starts with a skill. His skill costs have been re-done and has access to a few new skills

- All playable characters have a "bust" in the menu now. This was to make the menu stand out a bit more.

- Greyback now has a skill. When his FP is high enough he will use that skill randomly.

Menus:

- The main menu has a slight update, mentioned above. It will show characters busts, thanks to Galv's menu script. It just provides a different menu screen to make the game a little bit more unique.

- Equip menu has changed and uses Yanfly's More equips. This is so Gizmo and Fletch can use their new equipment.

Items:

- Most items have been re-balanced both in effect and cost.

- Potions are harder to obtain outside of shops. Before nearly every enemy dropped a potion guaranteed. Most now don't drop them and those that do have a lower drop rate than before.

- New "drinks" have been added. The starting Inn will sell Ale but not Elderberry Wine. Elderberry Wine can still be obtain through other means until you reach port town where it will be sold. (NOTE: Port Town is not accessible in the DEMO.)

- New status healing items added to cure things such as blindness, paralysis and what not.

- New weapons, armor and accessories added to the game.

Enemies:

- All enemies have been re balanced.

- Flowering Vines reduced in Forest areas.

- Vines reduced in non-forest areas.

- Vines and Flowering vines have new skills and skill animations.

- Orcs tweaked to provide more of a challenge and loot levels decreased.

- New Ogre boss added to Orc Hills

- Many other small tweaks.

- Bisdan soldiers have a bit more of a presence in the Orc Hills.

Maps:

- Most maps have had a refresh with more detail added.

- Some smaller maps have had expansions making them more worthwhile exploring.

- New secret areas.

- Most chest found in maps have been tweaked to provide a more balancing game play. High powered items completely removed.

- New areas

Quests:

- Bluefoil quest has been tweaked. Mostly dialogue stuff

- Chasing Rabbits quest added.

- Tutorials added for: fighting, save crystals, barrels & urns, Inns.

- Skip option added for Opening Cut Scene and Fighting Tutorial.

- Orc Skull quest added. Find three orcs performing a ritual, interrupt it and chase them down. Decide if you want to finish their ritual.

Dialogue:

-Many many spelling and grammar fixes.

- Mayor dialogue expanded

- More background for Rhul, Fletch and Gizmo in various dialogues

- NPC's now give useful information

- Many books in Vendale provide information.

- Some NPC's have different dialogue depending on whats happened.

Other stuff:

- Mini game added to the Tower.

- Barrels and Urns rewards tweaked. Harder to get stuff now.

- Interaction with more objects/people.

- Skill animations tweaked.

- Music for different scenes tweaked.

- Extended opening cut scene.

Plus many more tweaks, fixes and additions!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2016
    Stanley likes this.
  17. mardin

mardin "...pretty please?" Veteran

First Language:
    German
    So far the best RPG Maker Game a user has done I have played. Good use of scripts, mapping is nice. Balance is very good at the beginning(played on normal), but became an issue later. Battles are a lot of fun, well done. Maybe a bit more variety musicwise?

I just type here what I have written down during the game...(mild spoilers)

The opening cut scene felt a bit too long...

Some of the music was really good, some of it felt missplaced. I don't know if it was all standard rpg maker music (if so, try to find a few unique ones), some of it could use a bit more "mild&gentle" approach (but I think that is just me) (Later in the game it feels really annoying to get the same battle music over and over again)

Focus attack was explained way too late. At this time I already used it for quite some time. And it is a bit underpowered imho for my character and overpowered for Fletch. Also my character does not get any XP when he is knocked down in battle...why? Feels a bit unfair. Now that the person is knocked down, what do I do? I am deep in the forest, should I go all the way back to the town? Seems like the only way to go, because I accidently used the campfire already...meh. Reload time...maybe I have just overlooked too much things and didn't find all the antidotes and revive potions?

I had some issues with the poison mechanic. The poison stance doesn't end with the battle, and in the forest with all the spiders and bees you get poisoned all the time. I had 3 antidotes when I was heading for the forest, but it wasn't nearly enough. Later when I met Fletch everything turned around and it became very easy. Even the big spider was a piece of cake. But without poison antidotes your health slowly drops and drops...and when you get to the orcs I had to fight the 4 orc group which i barely managed with low health and two steps afterwards (3 steps before i could reach the fkn crystal!) I have to face a 3 orc-group which finished me off in no time. It was frustrating to start all over again at the last savecrystal (Motivation -5).

On the 2nd try everything went very easy. Maybe I had very bad luck in the first run. I noticed some bugs with the orc corpses when you interact with them. Got poisoned again. With no antidote, poison from a giant spider is like instant 1 health in the next battle...for the rest of your life. frick that (Motivation -5). I asked Fletch to suck it out of my wound, he did not respond...I think he is a shy guy deep down inside.

Found a Revive potion! Finally I can die in peace without having to start every battle with 1 Health (+10 Motivation)

Orc Boygroup Encounter is getting quite frustrating because I seem to have bad luck with stunning the Leadsinger. And Leadsinger shaman hits hard...running out of potions. But Orc mountain really looks like a nice place (good mapping, +5 Motivation).

I got to a worldmap, but I really don't have any clue where to go. I mean I found out that these soldiers are behind it all. I should go back and tell everybody, as well as bringing back the 10 plants for the tea...seems like the game rather wants to go after the bad guys and then do...something!? Or did I miss something at the Orc Mountain? I encountered the soldier, but not much more...well there is a tower and towers are always interesting...

Lacking 100 Gold to buy all the awesome skills. F'#@ing Jien does not buy my stuff, only sells skills. I have 2 short swords and a dagger ready to sell. Jien doesn't care (-5 Motivation). Since it took me a while to figure out that you can actually jump through the hole, I got interrupted by encounters waaaaaay to often. Everytime...the same battle music...again...again...again....I CANNOT TAKE IT ANYMORE. And when I thought I was done, rescued the girl and was about to leave...a giant spider appears. You guessed it...Hello again, 1 Health (-20 Motivation)! Did not made it far into the cave...I thought playing on "normal" would be a bit more easy.

Please make an easy mode for stupid people like me who get bitten by spiders way to often and don't find any antidotes!

Stanley and Nanaki_Fan like this.
  18. Nanaki_Fan

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for that kind comment!

Onto your notes: I laughed pretty much all the way through that review. Please continue reviewing games!

Poison is not meant to heal afterwards and a lot of the creatures in the forest drop antidotes. I will see about either increasing the antidote drop rates or perhaps lower their price in the store, oh the store also sells revives, camp fires and potions. 

The blue flowers are meant for the player to make the choice: head back through the forest and hand them in (also heal up and sell stuff they found) or continue on and do it later. Its all about creating a false sense of player choice.

I have toyed with the idea of the Skill merchant selling other items but its more about mechanics. The skill merchant is using a script that allows the skills to be sold and not the conventional RPG Maker shop method. I will look into this though.

Hopefully when I get the next demo up, you will come back and have a replay. I am a bit disappointed with myself that you were unable to get to the end of the demo.

As too the music, this new demo actually changes it up a lot. Before I used a lot of stock music but recently purchased some music packs to change it around a bit. I guess I have some more work to do on that!

Oh, also what was your play time?

19. mardin

mardin "...pretty please?" Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Hard to tell, I would say 3h.

By the way no encounter ever dropped an antidote for me. Just money and I think 1-2 potions through the entire demo.

Nanaki_Fan likes this.
  20. Nanaki_Fan

First Language:
    English
    Hmmm I will look into this. Thanks for the info :)

3h? I am quite happy about that ^_^

If you decide to play through again here are some *spoilers*:

In Vendale, look for a bush "in" a cliff face, just before you hit the farm with the rabbits.

Theres a shield in the well in Vendale

A chest of gold is behind the mayors house.

In the blue foil quest house check the table/sides for potions.

Rest at the INN for an experience bonus.

EDIT:

I took some of your points and worked them into a new demo.

>>>>Download here<<<<  first page updated also. 

Change log  for Version 2.1.1

Fixed:
    -Missing glow for Save crystals in Forest glade and Mountain pass.
    - Missing background for skip cut scene text.
    - Fixed miss-aligned text for save crystal tutorial.

Tweaked:
    - Changed Book Faceset for tutorials/guides.
    - Changed Fancy red Chest in Grandpa Home and Basement to wooden chest.
    - Added extra dialogue to Save Crystal tutorial.
    - Added Book Face to Save Crystal tutorial.
    - Adjusted the price of antidotes from 20g to 15g
    - Hornets, Spiders, Giant spiders and Flowing flesh vines have their drop rates for antidotes increased.
    - Increased the damage of Rhul's Focus attack
    - Reduced the power of Fletch's Focus attack
    - Reduced the attack power of Fletch's Skills
    - Re-balanced Fletch's bows to prevent overpowering character early on.

Added:
    - Game Control tutorial and book in Grandpas house.
    - Game control book is a key item.
    - Added Save Crystal to Orc Bridge Cave.
    - Skill merchant now has a normal "wares" section.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2016
    Stanley likes this.