RMMV Demo - Playing Both Sides

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by Ailius, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Ailius

Ailius Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Playing Both Sides
    Warning - Politics, Implied Sex, General Offensiveness​

SECTION A: GAMEPLAY MECHANICS

• Mechanics will be fairly standard JRPG fare, with a few key differences.
      Leveling is mostly flat. Stats only improve slightly as you level.
      Skills will be a series of paper-rock-scissors style moves which counter each other.

I can make it through the dungeons with healing potions to spare, but I know the enemies' move sets. A key piece of information I need is how hard it is for someone figuring it out as they go along.

SECTION B: CHARACTERS

• Eric - A young man who signed on to a crew of privateers seeking riches.
      Morgan - The love of Eric's life. She may or may not be a witch.

SECTION C: STORYLINE/PLOT

• People have long forgotten the proper name of the Lawless Sea. There are no honest men here. There is only might, and with might alone are fortunes made.

The only authority within this locus of chaos is the brutal Patriarchy, a group of men who before all else hunt down witches, letting virtually all other crimes go unpunished.

Aboard the privateer ship Antelope, the adventure of a young crewman named Eric begins. A target ripe for the plunder has been spotted, and the Antelope is poised to attack, but the series of events that has been set in motion is beyond imagination.

Features of this game include:
    • Witches
    • Gender Bending
    • Possible Cannibalism
    • Schizophrenia
    • Title IX investigations
    • More witches!!
    • Battlestar Gallactica style not-swearing
    • Pirates
    • Instructions in the safe handling of explosives
    • Reading things
    • Mind control
    For the one of you who played the VX demo, it may seem like I lost the plot. No, I was planning on it going this way the whole time.

SECTION D: SETTING AND/OR WORLD DEVELOPMENT
    • The geography is centered around a central sea with an island nation called "Tires" (I mentally pronounced it ty-res and it took a while before I noticed the spelling.)
    • There are several nation-states, but the central conflict is between a quasi-governmental Patriarchy and a rebellion of witches.
    • The conflict will be one of subterfuge. Characters will lie to each other often. The main character will eventually become a sort of double agent.
    • There will be a 'semi-branching' storyline.
    • The magic system is completely sexist. Only the women can use most magic, though men get "anti-magic" that blocks or reflects spells. Also, biological strength differences exist.
    • The aforementioned organizations are not exclusive to either gender.
    • That being said so far I've had the 'discovery' style where the characters are driving.

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS

DOWNLOAD LINK
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/1a7hk1ta7b5xwee/PBS.7z/file
    Credits to
    VictorEngine's custom scripts
    Thalzon's Battlers

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Rixis (릭시스) likes this.
  2. Rixis (릭시스)

Rixis (릭시스) Mecha Queen Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Cool concept, would love to see how you expand on the battle system as you get further along.

Ailius likes this.
  3. Ailius

Ailius Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the feedback.

I noticed when MV was on sale and purchased it. The MV games seem to be more popular, so I've already converted this project into MV.

I still have the VX assets and to me, some of the MV artwork is a bit cartoony, so I'm still using a lot of the VX assets.

The only things that were really lost were the character faces, which didn't really scale up as well as the sprites, and the layout of the mines. Losing the mines is okay though because I rebuilt them and they're definitely better now.

What I've changed since the demo is I've reduced the HP on the mobs because they seemed a little annoying. I've also added a slight bit of leveling.

Since the demo, I've added a new town, several new enemies, a magic system, a new class, another dungeon, and a bunch of cutscenes.

I'm trying to stick with Yanfly's "new town, small cutscene, 5 room dungeon with 7 enemies, repeat" model, except I'm only having 2-3 monster types per dungeon since I've made the combat system complicated. But, there have been a lot of plot points to go over.

I might need to release another demo. Pretty much the very next thing I do after we left off is force the player into the magic system which is different.

4. Ailius

Ailius Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm bumping the thread because I updated the demo. It was VX before, now converted to MV. The new demo is twice as long, even though it's 1/4th the file size, and a whole lot weirder.

The mods might want to move this thread to the "Games in Development" forum.

And two spoilers which are actual spoilers, on account of the positive feedback about the combat system:
    The very next character to join the party will be a warrior with the same skills as Eric had pre-transformation.

Eric's transformation will not last until the end of the game.

5. Aome

Aome Villager Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi, I just played through it a little bit.
    The dungeon was nice, but the rats couldn't damage me. Also I could escape every possible fight.
    Liked slashing the bushes in the nature area!
    I'm not sure why there are cannibals and it was so easy to get into the crate.
    Had a good laugh at the guy throwing the crate on the dock!
    Dungeon boss duo was very repetitive because they use the same attacks over and over and they had so much HP.
    Not bad :)

6. Ailius

Ailius Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    With regards to the cannibals:
    It's a joke scene. Eric *thinks* the village is full of cannibals, but they're just normal fisherman. (or, they were in VX. Now they're clam fishermen) It's not actually a stealth session and you can literally start a conversation with the npcs and nothing will happen.

The purpose of the scene is to calibrate player expectations, so that when they meet the villains later, the player is using the appropriate level of critical thinking. I'm lying to the player early so that when I'm lying to the player later for plot reasons, the player is expecting it.

My take-away from this is I need to flush out the two sailor's dialog in the next scene.

Thanks for pointing out the rats.

I guess I can lower the HP a bit on the boss fight, but I don't want to give them any more moves. The first dungeon is about establishing the basic attack, parry, feint relationships. All the monsters up until the end of the first dungeon have two of those. If I give them three, then the player just has to mindlessly guess and hope. If I give the monsters the special skills, the player has no idea what they're being hit with.

7. Aome

Aome Villager Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey Ailius thanks for your reply. I had fun playing the demo!

Interesting hahaha, I assumed they would attack / come after me so I went into the crate as fast as possible! Joke's on me, I never went up to the NPC's.

About the moves, at least for me the move system was very clear right from the very first battle. So it might be interesting to surprise the player in the first dungeon with a new move, especially on the boss to make it a more interesting battle. But I understand your way of thinking and it's not bad. In the next town the fight already had more moves I saw, so that was great. Thanks again for the demo! :)

8. Ailius

Ailius Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is another bump as the demo has been updated again. I revamped the magic system. Secondary effects now affect the entire battlefield, so there's always a drawback. Also, I've updated the status icons because the colored dots weren't doing it. Now it's just about as fun in the one-on-one as the combat system.

The latest 'dungeon' has a four actor party. I found it too easy to 'power through' in a group, so I limited its length and plan on mostly keeping one or two actors in the party at a time from now on.