RMMV DEMO: Rukhnar - A Pokémon reinvention!

hyuugacln

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Version 0.3 out now: Download (Google Drive)
This version contains mainly bugfixes and polishing. The content is mostly the same as in the previous version.

• Improved loading / caching routines to prevent lag
  • completely new pathfinding: NPC's now move based on pixel-vectors (curves!)
  • loading/saving should be way faster now
  • the game is slightly easier in terms of battle balancing
  • fixed the following menus: Gold Window (finished), Attack overview (finished), victory screen (almost finished), monster overview (almost finished)
  • visual improvements such as NPC battle indicators
  • Clutter elements (doodads) no longer wiggle when moving diagonally
  • misc. ...
rukhnardemo09.03.2018onr7y.png

Last edited:

Adam1013

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Very much looking forward to playing this when it’s further in development. Been a topic in our discord recently lol looking good, keep it up!

Rishi Raj Jain

Pokemon MV Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh!! Thank god this is not an exact copy of pokemon, I thought Why the hell you are going to release a Pokemon game commercially, and get yourself sued by Nintendo.

It touches some points of Pokemon games, which is cool.
Whereas many aspects are different including the Battle system.

Pim

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh!! Thank god this is not an exact copy of pokemon, I thought Why the hell you are going to release a Pokemon game commercially, and get yourself sued by Nintendo.

It touches some points of Pokemon games, which is cool.
Whereas many aspects are different including the Battle system.

As far as I understood the first post, it isn't even gonna be a commercial game but completely free. Don't ask me why, because both the presentation and the demo's I've played are way better then most commercial games, but going commercial and getting sued by anyone doesn't seem to be the intention of the maker.

hyuugacln

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As far as I understood the first post, it isn't even gonna be a commercial game but completely free. Don't ask me why, because both the presentation and the demo's I've played are way better then most commercial games, but going commercial and getting sued by anyone doesn't seem to be the intention of the maker.

It's going to be released free but there might be a kickstarter or something to cover the development costs. I don't violate any copyrights by Nintendo. This game is set in a completely different universe and is merely inspired by the Pokemon frenchise.

Reactions: Pim

hyuugacln

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just wanted to let you guys know development has been on a break since earlier this month and won't continue until next month. This is due to my actual work piling up.

*Sips coffee number 15 for today*

But worry not, I'm determined and motivated like I've never been before. <3

But what I did in the meantime was fixing a plugin called "SRD Super Tools Engine". This plugin is amazing but wasn't optimized very well. I changed several parts of it to make it less laggy.

Mister-ABC

Grumpy Artist
Reaction score
First Language
luxembourgish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can't even play your game. As soon I click on new game i get: "Type Error Cannot read property 'filter' of undefined"

OneManIndie

THE One-Man Indie!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
As a fellow MON-COLLE game dev, I like what I see here. Great job!

BlueVikingr

The Dragonbirb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I suppose I should report a bug... As I journeyed along Route 1, when I encountered Luisa and she asked how Pyrall and I were doing, I became trapped in some sort of loop. Couldn't move or open the menu, and Luisa kept coming up and talking to me over and over.

Jellicoe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ladies and gentleman!

After 16 months of development I proudly present:

headderg8p7n.jpg

Hello everyone! Welcome at the official announcement and presentation of Rukhnar, the arguably most ambitious Pokémon-fangame these days, even though it's not even a Pokémon game. It's set in a complete new universe, with new stories, new characters, new places and new ideas. Despite the clear Pokémon vibe it differs boldly in details, so get ready for a whole new experience!

DOWNLOAD NOW AVAILABLE
Alpha 0.3 (Google Drive)

Take the tour!

praesicutcmsuy.jpg

Story synopsis:

Aaron shouldn't have chosen "Unsolicited adventure travels" for his vacation plans. He never reached his holiday destination. Not at all. When the plane got caught in a sudden storm, everything changed. A lightning strike: The formerly crowded plane was suddenly empty. A second bolt: the engines went off. The next thing he could remember was waking up in the burning plane wreck, but this wasn't even the biggest of his problems: Men with red masks were pillaging the luggage, refering to the plane as a "strange, winged metal thing". And they had monsters. Literal monsters. And so did everyone else on the secluded island Aaron crashed into. Where was he? How and why did he get here? And how could he possibly get off an island where the concept of planes is absolutely unknown? There's something cooking ...

Bonus facts:
  1. Rukhnar is beeing developed in German and in English.
  2. It's going to be completely free.
  3. The player may or may not join one of the evil organisations.
  4. Unlike the original Pokémon series, the player takes a huge role in dialogues, which often results in different outcomes.
  5. There is a hidden easter egg in the game, which let's you battle Red (from the original Pokémon series) after the main story line. ;)
  6. I'm not a native english speaker soooo ... please forgive me. Don't worry about the game's translation, I have a guy for that.
  7. A (partially) original score written and produced by me.

Bonus screenshots (partially outdated):
rukhnardemo18.02.2018vjr4c.png

rukhnar18.09.201714_03ppba.png

load7yr3y.png

Alpha 0.01 loading screen vs Alpha 0.02

rukhnardemo17.02.2018nxqi5.png

rukhnar18.09.201714_0b3qg8.png

The current state:

Almost all of the core functionalities have been implemented, such as battle mechanics, monster breeding, player housing, catching, collecting and training monsters, evolving monsters ...
At the moment we're fixing some bugs and polishing the visuals, especially in our custom made menus and scenes. You may have noticed some visual glitches in the screenshots above. Yeah, they'll be gone soon.

Downloads:

Download Alpha 0.3 (Dropbox)

This version contains everything up to the first city.
Be aware of bugs and unfinished / unpolished systems.
Please report bugs by replying in this thread! :)
I will update this post once in a while, so stay tuned. You can also follow the progress on our facebook-page!

Also, I appreciate any kind of feedback, suggestions, ideas, hopes and dreams. That's the stuff that keeps me going! :)

I am so impressed with this! Makes me jealous and inspired at the same time! Good luck! Will be keeping an eye on this project!

hyuugacln

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update
  • We're currently redoing all of the monster designs because of legal and artistic reasons. The new sprites will have twice the resolution of the previous designs.
  • Monsters no longer get EXP at the end of the battle. Instead, they gain EXP during the battle, based on their actions.
    - For example: Defeating an opponents monster will get you some EXP, but using a shield skill will do so as well. There's EXP bonuses for stuff like defeating enemies despite being in elemental disadvantage.
  • Monsters now can learn unlimited amound of skills. But you have to select 4 moves that can be used in battle. This does not change battles at all, but the player may change their mind and re-select previous skills instead of deleting them forever.
  • Changed the lore. Monsters are now treated as tiny deities instead of animals. It kinda compares to that Chihiro movie. Deities are carried around in trinkets, so they act like "real guardian angles", so to say.
  • When changing maps, the game now loads all the needed ressources during the map fade. Slightly longer loading time, but smoother gameplay.
  • The game now checks your available RAM and decides which files to unload based on this. However, it will not take more than 1GB of RAM under any circumstances.
  • Added a mechanic for evolving deities. They need to meet certain conditions (just like in Pokémon), but the evolution won't trigger automatically. You have to do this manually by spending "adventure tokens". The amount varies. You gain 1 adventure token by completing any quest.
    There are quests you can repeat, but there's enough unique main and side quests to complete your Pokede... I mean, to get every available deity. So no grinding for tokens. ;)
  • Fixed tons of bugs.
  • Redesignes all of the menus to fit the higher resolution monster sprites. Also went for a brighter design with higher contrast.

newcanvas11ssdmq.png

rukhnardemo20.12.201801cmo.png

rukhnardemo20.12.2018xrd39.png

Last edited:

Adam1013

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Looks awesome! Still one of my fav projects on here

hyuugacln

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks awesome! Still one of my fav projects on here

Thanks, adam! However, we're far behind schedule and we won't catch up to it any time soon. My apologies.

Boonty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Impressive work. I am downloading the old demo !

Any estimated date for the new one ?

Boonty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Give us screenshots instead to make us waiting :smile:

Bone

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The new EXP system sounds pretty interesting, seems like a good way to keep players engaged even during normal battles when all you normally do is press the A button.

hyuugacln

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Give us screenshots instead to make us waiting :smile:

rukhnardemo20.12.2018ykcnq.png

Here you go. Currently working on the display at the bottom. The left part shows the order of the current turn, the right part shows the order of the next turn. Some skills change the next turns order. Right now I'm doing the functionality, design comes after that.

OneManIndie

THE One-Man Indie!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Instead of having the "deities" EVOLVE why not call it ASCENSION/ASCENDING? Also why not these Ascensions be grouped by Panoplies. Like say you can have Celestial and Infernal Panoplies/versions of the "deities" Ascension. Just something I came up with once I read your update.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is looking great. You game is like Pokemon and Jurassic Park combine which is great.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's a Spanish devlog don't get scared!. (please)
Q:"Why don't you get a job?"
A: Posting statuses IS my job. It just so happens to not pay and happen periodically over the course of three months.
My new 49" monitor has been dispatched from the warehouse. Will it arrive tomorrow? The day after? I love that we can track packages now, even if it does only tell me when it's left that end and when it's arrived at the local centre. As long as it doesn't end up in Melbourne again, which has happened before ...
My friend's doing a surprise stream of my game Origin Hunt on Twitch here ! Feel free to stop by :yhappy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steelybel