RMVXA [DEMO v1.3!] Palasiel Quest

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by McTricky, Jul 14, 2012.

1. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

1000 years ago, there was a great evil that brought upon terror on the world of Palasiel. This great evil was known as Azazel. In an effort to cease the chaos, a man was marked as The Chosen One. He, and 4 other adventurers dubbed the Five Warriors of Light went on a quest to defeat said evil. But they could not destroy Azazel, and could only ever hope to seal him away.

Sound familiar? Only sounds like the most clichéd setting to an RPG ever.

Well...it's the base concept of Palasiel Quest.
    For those who may remember seeing this title on this forum, you may notice that this opening post has gone under a major overhaul. That's mostly because of the forum upgrade somehow deleting my entire post, so I'm starting from scratch. As well as that, this game was originally going to be an episodic parody RPG with lampshades on JRPG tropes and yada yada. Over the course of development, Palasiel Quest's tone and focus has shifted to something that takes itself a little more seriously. While the base concept still draws from the whole "Chosen One" trope, the story this game tells will be something different and more relatable. So here's the true story:

In the world of Palasiel, dark forces are at play behind the scenes as empires fall, kingdoms topple, and civil unrest ever grows. The Creator decides to..."borrow" 5 young people from Earth into Palasiel to be this JRPG world's heroes. Daran, our appointed "protaganist" is given one instruction: "Defeat the Evil Lord". Only then, will Daran and the other be granted passage back to their own world. Join Daran as he journeys across Palasiel in search of the other people who were spirited away. Get caught up in kingdom politics, assassination attempts, crazy alter egos, prison breaks, throne usurping and more!

Characters

Palasiel Quest has a wide range of characters that you'll get to know through the main story and through character quests! First, there are the main characters: the five people brought to Palasiel from Earth. Click the spoiler tags to meet them!

[​IMG]
    One of the five who were spirited away to the world of Palasiel, Daran is the designated "main protaganist". Not one to get himself involved with trouble, a strong sense of responsibility guides him on his journey. He is told one thing: You are the "chosen one". There is an "evil lord" to defeat. Go.

Daran's given class is the "Warrior". He is typically balanced in both offence and defence. He can draw enemy attacks with his "Taunt" arte, and completely nullify damage for a turn with his "Sentinel" arte. He's also one of the very few people to deal elemental damage with his wide range of elemental artes before the player meets a dedicated mage.

[​IMG]
    One of the five who were spirited away to the world of Palasiel, Ariel is a spunky individual, proficient in the arts of healing magic and thievery. Having arrived in Palasiel 2 months before the start of the story, she has had time to venture around. She is a key member of the Palasiel Rogues, a resistance group looking to liberate their kingdom.

Ariel is dubbed a "Thiefmage". She is a hybrid of a white mage and a thief. She boast incredible speed and magic stats, but falls short in other areas. She has a versatile range of supportive magic at her disposal and is able to deal Holy magic damage with her "Lum" artes. She can also inflict status ailments with certain artes such as her "Still of Night" arte and then deal major damage against enemies with stacked ailments with her "Assassinate" arte. She can also steal items from enemies. Doing this against certain enemies may have other effects too.
    [​IMG]
    One of the five who were spirited away to the world of Palasiel, Keon is a suave and cunning individual and fancies himself a hit with the ladies. Despite being in Palasiel for a considerable amount of time, he actually enjoys being there and hasn't thought about going back.

Keon's role in battle is somewhere between a support character and a technical attacker. He's got the right tools for specific jobs, and can buff the party with many boons with his "Bulletcraft" artes. He's also able to use his hunting skills to deal major damage to certain enemy types with his "Golden Bullet" artes!

[​IMG]
    One of the five who were spirited away to the world of Palasiel, Sanya has a lot of experience in this world, having been there the longest. A charming individual, often calm and composed. She's spent a lot of time in the wild honing her survival skills and is currently in prison for murder.

Sanya's playstyle revolves around heavy hitting "Berserker-class" artes as well as being able to learn enemy artes to use as her own!

[​IMG]
    One of the five who were spirited away to the wold of Palasiel, Opal Beryl is a young girl blessed with the gift of magic and intelligence, even if she doesn't always act like it. She is a very upbeat and energetic girl who has proficiency in alchemy! Opal has travelled back in time from a future where everything went to chaos.

Opal is an "Alchemage" which is a hybrid class of an "Alchemist" and a "Black Mage". Her role is the dedicated magic DPS, and can access higher tiers of elemental magic by using her "Augment" arte. She can also user her alchemy skills to create supportive or offensive items user her "Mix" arte.

And here are some of the supporting characters that you will meet. Some will join your party as guests!
    NOTE: (MORE WILL BE ADDED AS ART GETS COMPLETED)

[​IMG]
    The Creator is simply...just that: The creator of the world of Palasiel. He is responsible for spiriting away the five main characters to this world. He has a rather charismatic and laidback personality, and often speaks in vague terms, but promises he's here to guide the characters on their quest.
    [​IMG]
    An adventurer hailing from Parisian regions, Mikhail is a friendly warrior whose skills often get him recommendations into the Parisian Knight Academy. However, he prefers the thrill of adventure and travel, and recent tensions in Parisa aren't exactly enticing.

[​IMG]
    Saoirse is a knightess-in-training, studying at the Parisian Knight Academy. She is a cheerful and graceful young woman, with her mind set on becoming the top of her class. She joins the party for a brief time after she asks for help collecting demon magic.

While dubbed a "Knightess", Saoirse's playstyle is very versatile. Inspired by FFXIII's "Paradigm" mechanic, she is able to switch between three roles: Attacker, Blaster and Healer mode, each giving her a palette of artes to choose from. Her special arte "Memento Mori" restores the party's health should she fall in battle.

[​IMG]
    A core member of the Palasiel Rogues, Nolland Roche is the brains of the group. In charge of reconnaissance and operation briefs, she guides the Rogues to success on missions. Always tinkering with her inventions, Nolland is a dork at heart. Though she has immense strength, she's quite the pacifist.

[​IMG]
    A member of the Vanguard within the Palasiel Rogues, Elise Fiore is not your typical resistance member. She hails from nobility, and while she sometimes has a condescending attitude, she has a lot of compassion for other people. She's a prodigy at the piano and violin, and fights with her rapier.

Dubbed the "Virtuoso", Elise has one of the more complex playstyles in the game. Elise's knack for music plays into her role in battle. She can switch between 4 modes known as "Movements": Presto, Vivace, Appassionato and Cadenza. They highlight speed, offence, magic, and defence respectively. The key to Elise is to weave through each movement akin to a dance.

[​IMG]
    A member of the Vanguard within the Palasiel Rogues, Tydas Lucidus is the moodmaker of the group. While he can come off as incredibly lazy, he pulls his weight in battle, utilising his Savate training, his hidden blade and an assortment of tools and traps to confuse opponents.

Dubbed the "Trickster" a lot of Tydas' artes utilize items he may have on hand such as his "Venomous Throw" arte requiring Darts. He can also deal strategical damage with his weapon artes as well. His "Smoke Bomb" has a chance to inflict the Blind status ailment on ALL battle participants.

Features

Influcence the storyline!
    While Palasiel Quest features a linear story, it can be influenced quite a bit through choices in the game to the point where ideally playthroughs between different players will rarely be the same. This is influenced by two mechanics known as "Choice Divert" and "Path Diverge".

Choice Divert System!
    At certain points in the game, Daran will be presented with a choice. Whether the choice may seem big or small, the effect these choices may result in can be anything from a small alteration in a scene, to a less/more difficult dungeon to even a character death. In essence, Choice Diverts shape the future.

Path Diverge System!
    A Path Diverge is a story segment that’s triggered by talking to certain NPCs at which point the party will diverge from the main story route and take a different path in the story, or take a detour. Path Diverges can lead to additional backstory information, bonus scenes and additional Choice Diverts.

Character-driven Quests!
    Sidequests in this game are character-driven and won't have you fetching three pieces of wolf fur for a reward of 20 pieces of gold. You can look forward to quests where you can learn the stories of the many characters in the game!

Guest Party Members!
    While the main five characters will remain in your party for the most part, Palasiel Quest has many secondary characters, most of whom are fully playable at certain parts of the story. There are also other guest characters who will join the party as a non-battle participant, but may still aid you in battle from the sidelines. So they're not completely around as dead weight!

Skit Scenes!
    Inspired by the "Tales of" series, Palasiel Quest will feature little skits between party members. Viewing them is important as they can contain important Choice Diverts and sometimes missing a skit scene can influence the story a little! Be sure to view as many as you can!

Arte Learning System!
    Artes are not learned in the traditional way via levelling up. In battle, characters (excluding guests) will earn AP (Arte Points) by defeating enemies, using artes and levelling up. These points can be used to learn new abilities in each characters' Arte Tree. This way, players can choose how to build a certain character as they play the game. Will you have Ariel learn more White Mage artes to become a better healer early on? Or will you prioritise her Thief skillset, so she can aid in dealing damage and status ailments more? It's all up to you!

Stellar Soundtrack
    The game will have an original soundtrack scored by Jeremiah George! Known for his orchestral arrangements and his penchant for the epic and melodic, the soundtrack is sure to be among your favourites!

In-Game Achievements
    Palasiel Quest will have in-game achievements that can be earned by doing various things such as finishing story events, beating bosses fast enough, etc. They give you special items upon earning them!

Fun and Diverse Cast
    One of the things I noticed when looking at the JRPGs I played growing up is the lack of diversity in the casts, usually having one token "diverse" character and the job was done. Palasiel Quest will have a diverse cast of people from different racial backgrounds, sexual identities, etc.

Solve Crimes with Opal!
    At certain points in the game, you'll undergo investigative work to solve crimes as Opal Beryl. It'll be an interesting change of pace from all the questing and the dungeon exploring!

Screenshots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Demo
    A demo is indeed available to download! This demo is a v1.4 version of a demo that was released years ago, but it's been updated to include more art, add more features and fix some errors.

This is "Demo A" which essentially functions as a tech demo. You're not going to get much story context in this demo as it will put you right into the middle of the pilot build of the game and you'll be playing an isolated segment of the game. This game features a dungeon played with Daran, Ariel and Saoirse. This demo is to show you how the game looks, plays, and sounds. Complete with original music and voice acting. You can download the demo here!

DOWNLOAD "DEMO A" (V1.4)!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  2. Robin

Robin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If a game just replicates a bad game, so much so that one could not differentiate between the legitimately poor game and the intentionally poor game, then perhaps it succeeds as a piece of art. However, such a game, unless it is really made well, will likely simply be perceived as another bad game.

Now, this project seems not to have the traditional downfalls in such games (e.g., poor English and poor mapping). In fact, you seem to be putting in much work into nearly every aspect of the game! Every aspect except for crafting an interesting story you wish to tell. You're putting your efforts specifically into embracing the lack of innovation in the storyline. I'm just not sure how good a parody of RPG tropes and clichés with a clichéd plot is going to be.

With such a high percentage of extremely poor games in the community, many of which are poor for the exact same reasons as one another (e.g., story, grammar, mapping), I do not agree that a developer who is presumably aware of this should spend more time happily making something of the same sort of quality.

I think it could be argued that the reason some people have their story be "Five Warriors of Light defeating the 1,000 year old evil" is because it's easier to do than telling a "better" story. Parody or not.

(P.S., Of course no story is truly original, and I take that point completely, but I'm really referring to the presenting of "Five Warriors of Light defeating the 1,000 year old evil" without any disguise, I suppose.)

MyLordRobinson likes this.
  3. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Definitely putting some level of effort in this for sure. I wouldn't be going through the effort of casting talent voice actors/actresses for this if I weren't. xD

You make a good point, but you must note that despite all of this effort that I'm putting in, this is ultimately a non-serious game. In the sense, that whilst effort is being made here, this project is being made to get me back into RM'ing and to also bring my little webcomic idea from a year ago to life.

Now, despite what I just said, this doesn't mean I'm not making any effort with some form of plot. It isn't going to be just a senselss parody RPG and probably won't even focus on the parodies a lot of the time (though there's a fair bit of fourth-wall breaking). The whole hero vanquishes the dark lord is still the concept but not is by no means the plot.

Thanks a lot for your input, all the same, Robin! ;D

As for an update:

Who wants to hear a bit of the game's original soundtrack!?

4. d_a_renoir

d_a_renoir Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Project sounds interesting. I agree with Robin about being careful when making parodies. Sometimes parodies comes across as trying too hard to be funny and ruins everything.

That OST is super neat, by the way. What did you compose with?

5. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The way this dialogue looks at the moment, it seems more lighthearted than it is funny.

Thanks! I use FL Studio with the Garritan Personal Orchestra VSTs

I may as well take this chance to update.

This episode is well on its way to completion. All that needs to be done is to send a script out to the voice cast and receive back the lines (which will take around a month at most), and while that's being done, I can work on coming up with sidequests/puzzles and making the game look just a little bit prettier with parallaxing and lighting.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2012
  6. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Bumping to let people know that this is still alive. This project was actually near completion about a month ago, but due to unforeseen events, I lost all of the data with no backups to fall back upon. So that was 3 months of solid work over my summer holidays down the drain.

However, I did pick it up again, and I have start anew, hopefully being able to revise some of the dialogue, plot points and music. As things are now, I've re-mapped 70% of all the original maps in the space of a week, and I am now working on the cutscenes and dialogue, so I can have the scripts prepared for the voice actors.

First of all, is it just me, or are the screenshots not showing for you guys too? I may have to host them else where...

I also lost quite a bit of the original soundtrack as well, though some of the main songs are safe thanks to my best friend Chaos-Avian having the only other copies.

So I did compose a new boss theme for the game.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    That boss theme...simply magical. I hope the project becomes stronger than before ^-^

MyLordRobinson likes this.
  8. Developous

Developous Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    your screenshots dont show up.

9. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    dayum. I'll be sure to fix them tomorrow, as I'm just about to go to sleep now.

10. MyLordRobinson

MyLordRobinson Emperor of Carnelia Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I am in love with your music.

11. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Haha, thank you! I actually have a thread for my battle music that I share in packs.

And the screenshots are now up, check the first post to see them! Note, that obviously all the screenshots are from the version before I lost all of my work.

12. Robin

Robin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Whoa, how come you don't have a back-up within the last three months?

Also, how long is the game? I mean, for you to have made such progress in a week, it sounds like a lot of work.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2012
  13. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Because I suck. And I don't think of backing up stuff. I've learned my lesson this time.

Also, the game (planned for 5 episodic installments) was originally supposed to be 30mins-1hr long, but the total playtime (minus the sidequests I have planned) ended up being 2-3hrs.

You might be thinking: "3 hours in 3 months? A bit long, right?" In retrospect, it does seem long, but I was just getting back into the swing of RM'ing having taken a break from it for like 3 years, and then there was resource gathering/making, script testing, voice casting...oh and I also worked the London Olympic and Paralympic games which took a chunk of time.

Getting this far in a week was due to me actually planning this out a little bit instead of blindly charging in. I decided it would be easier to make my maps FIRST (I remember all the maps I needed to make), and then do the databasing and eventing afterwards. This, with the added fact that I know what I'm doing with this project now already, means that I was able to achieve this point in re-development a lot faster.

14. MyLordRobinson

First Language:
    English
    Thief mage.

15. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Whoops. Fix'd. Thanks, Salam.

The opening of the game is looking a lot better. Playing around with some event commands I've never really touched before (like Show/Move/Erase Picture) and making some really cool credits appear whilst an interactive cutscene is playing.

EDIT: Here's a screenshot from said opening sequence. Might do a bit of lighting in the room. Also, a bloody entrance which I graciously forgot to add.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2012
  16. MyLordRobinson

First Language:
    English
    If I may. In that screenshot, it would be a good idea to add the darker brown wall tiles on the bottom.

17. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Fix'd! Forgot about that detail!

I'd love to be working on this more but starting today this weekend is the London MCM Expo, which I'm attending, so there won't be much time to do much. Maybe I'll join the Game Making Drive after all that is over...?

18. MyLordRobinson

First Language:
    English
    I'll also be joining that group later today. If you need any more help McTricky, let me know. I'm really excited that you're actually developing your project and taking it to heart.

McTricky likes this.
  19. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    A change in battle aesthetics was made. It's gone from Yanfly's Battle Engine to a japanese battle script that my best friend, Chaos-Avian found.

20. LionHeart48

LionHeart48 Novam Vitam Veteran

First Language:
    English
    In your fifth screenshot, you see where the stairs are? Theres a waterfall that shouldn't be there. (To the left of the stairs)