RMVXA [DEMO v1.3!] Palasiel Quest

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by McTricky, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Kaje

Kaje Renaissance Ninja Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm not a big fan of dramatic orchestral JRPG music, but the two tracks I heard for this game are great. You're going for a homage to classic RPGs, right? Well you've nailed that, but not in the really "retro" intentionally bad way, instead your soundtrack is legitimately good in its own right.

Because of this I really think you should use the music as a big selling point. Anything original in a RM game is such a boon for making people interested to play it, and as I've seen you're using RTP-style graphics, make sure to capitalise on the music as a unique selling point.

I'm sure you're probably fully aware of this, but definitely play to your strengths, especially where original content is concerned.

McTricky likes this.
  2. Lars Ulrika

Lars Ulrika I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm really intrigued by your game, please let me know when it's released. If I have some free time, I can test it if you wish. 

McTricky likes this.
  3. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I updated the first post quite a bit, removed a few things from the features section, such as the Gears system, which I'm no longer using in this build. I've replaced the old screeshots with some new ones I've taken over the course of GMD February, as the old ones were from the game's old build that got lost. Updated the Artwork and Music sections too. Also added the features of Path Diverge and Choice Divert.

PATH DIVERGE: A Path Diverge is a story segment that's triggered by talking to certain NPCs at which point the party will diverge from the main story route and take a different path in the story, or take a detour. Path Diverges can lead to additional backstory information, bonus scenes and additional Choice Diverts.

[​IMG]

CHOICE DIVERT: At certain points in the game, Daran will be presented with a choice. Whether the choice may seem big or small, the effect these choices may result in can be anything from a small alteration in a scene, to a less/more difficult dungeon to even a character death. In essence, Choice Diverts shape the future.

[​IMG]

Artist, Judee Zabala has sent me her draft copies of the character portraits.

[​IMG]
    Posted Image
    And I've got some more music to showcase.

She Sought Solace is a sorrowful yet epic boss theme that plays for one fight in the episode.

Forward, In Search of Meaning (also included in ReStaff Feb 2013 pack) is the episode's second battle theme.

4. West Mains

West Mains Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'll wait for a demo before making my mind up, but in my opinion being intentionally bad just to go "haha lol this is how bad and silly things are sometimes! lol!" is both lazy and all it does is just make a bad game. It might just be that I think forced meta-humour is the single least funny form of comedy, however.

But I'll wait for a demo. 

5. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Where are people getting the whole "intentionally bad" thing from? I mean, I can sort of see where you're coming from, but there's no where in the thread post that implies a game that's going to look and feel intentionally bad. If I wanted to make it intentionally bad, this game would have been finished already, and I wouldn't bother commissioning artists and composing my own soundtrack for it. Yeah, I get it, forced meta-humor has that thing of being done really good or really bad.

That said, the episode is about demo length anyway, so there'll most likely be no demo release.

6. West Mains

West Mains Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's because these kinds of things always do the "intentionally bad" thing to protect their asses in advance when it turns out the game itself isn't very good. It's so they can say "no, the game was SUPPOSED to be like that!" I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but that's how it looks it might go. 

I disagree. I think meta-humour is just lazy. 

McTricky likes this.
  7. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Chaos Avian likes this.
  8. MyLordRobinson

MyLordRobinson Emperor of Carnelia Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's because you've presented your game as a satire rather than a homage to RPG's.

9. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Here's a post to say that a demo release is well on its way. I've gotten a bit of official artwork in from our artist.

I've prettied up the first post a little, added bios on the side characters in this episode as well as new screenshots and new artwork.

Daran Logan

[​IMG]
    Ariel Niño

[​IMG]
    Saoirse Verdant

[​IMG]
    And those are the three characters that will feature in the demo.

As well as that, I put up a short video that showcases a bit of the voice acting in the game, particularly from the three characters above.

10. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    UPDATE: Guest Party Characters || Side Character Playstyles

With the 5 main characters being Daran, Ariel, Sanya, Keon and Opal, they are each introduced slowly during the pilot episode of Palasiel Quest.

The game will have plenty of side characters that will join Daran on his adventure, each boasting a different fighting style that will give players an interesting take on the turn based battle system.

For example, one character, Soltier, is a weaponmaster, and this plays into his fighting style in that he has a different skill set for each weapon type. So while he has an axe equipped, he becomes a powerful attacker, holding a blade will have him focus on aggro direction and defence, whilst holding a rod or wand will have him magic focused. He's the only character able to "requip" weapons in the middle of battle, increasing his versatility.

Another example is a character called Elise who is a fencer that wields a rapier. Her fighting style was an interesting style to design, and I based it around music and dancing. She has four different “modes" which I call Movements. Each movement focuses on a different asset. For example her “Appassionato" Movement focuses on magic and healing. Certain skills will move Elise into a different Movement, where she’ll have another set of skills based on the Movement she’s in.

Another feature is Guest Characters. There will be some characters that will join your party, but will not be fully playable as a party member, at which point they’re referred to as Guests. With Guest characters about, they provided certain special bonuses, and at times, they might intervene the battle by casting defensive magic, or throwing a bomb at the enemy that might stun them. Similar to what happens in Final Fantasy III.

11. Lars Ulrika

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    "Intended to look like sheep"?!

Seriously?

Did you take the time to look at the screens? Oo

I mean, seriously...... games meant to look like sheep with lousy humour are light years away from this one. And satire doesn't necessarily mean "let's make a game that looks like sheep trololo".

12. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Rules of Awareness.

Something I came up with and started thinking about earlier today, regarding this project. This is more of a ramble as well as information about the project itself, rather than a progress report.

When I first posted this thread there was an initial bit of backlash over the project being just another mindless parody RPG with no thought to it, and trying to hard for cheap laughs. That really wasn't what it is about, but I do believe I might have brought it upon myself. Initially, Palasiel Quest was planned out to be a web-comic, and the main characters had totally different personalities and ticks to the ones they do now, and when I decided to make it into an RPG Maker game, I still had that mindset of a webcomic carried over, which is why I kept emphasizing the parody part of it.

Palasiel Quest has since evolved from that over the months of development and has started to become it's own RPG...almost. One of the key things about it are having Rules of Awareness.

For those that don't know, Palasiel Quest is about 5 young people from the real world being spirited away to world of Palasiel, an RPG world. Where RoA is involved is asking yourself: "How aware are these characters? To what extent do they know that they are in an RPG? How aware are the NPCs?".

I think this plays a key part in how engaged a player might be with either the character(s), story, or the setting. The 5 main characters are most aware, but they will never be so aware that they KNOW they are being played by the player. They will also never be aware of things such as BGM changes (unless of course the music is in-scene), or tileset changes and then comment upon them. They WILL, however, comment upon changes in the scenery and comment about the creation of the place.

I think I get just a little bit of leeway with this since because of a character called "The Creator". He is the person who introduces the game, the one who brought the main characters to Palasiel and is essentially the personified character of the developer, i.e me). He acts as a guide to Daran for the first parts of the game, before returning to simply overseeing the going-ons in Palasiel as well as pop up every now and again for some hints or banter. The main characters know that Palasiel is a world that's been created, by The Creator.

Those are the Rules of Awareness I have set for the 5 main characters.

As for everyone else, the NPCs. How aware are they? Do they know that they're in an RPG world? No, they don't. However most will act like NPC would/should. Their level of awareness only reaches the point of which they think that Palasiel is the only world there is. While a few will make remarks to certain RPG-esque happenings, the way they actually portray these remarks (through dialogue or whatnot) will always be within the boundaries of their awareness level.

What will be interesting about the 5 main characters is their familiarity with RPGs. In the original concept, back when I wanted it to be a webcomic years ago, all the characters had played RPGs before and therefore knew most things about them. While Palasiel Quest will cover some common tropes and clichés, they will either be played straight, or deconstructed. Palasiel Quest will never try to make a joke out of everything. Writing comedy is hard as hell, anyway. Daran, the main protagonist, isn't COMPLETELY familiar with RPGs. You'll find that he's played a Kingdom Hearts there, and maybe a Final Fantasy title or two. Ariel, his side kick, LOVES RPGs and plays them regularly. She is the one who will know her stuff.Same goes for Opal, fifth main character.  Keon and Sanya, have never played an RPG before and their lives and it should be interesting to see how they cope in the RPG world, especially with players playing as Daran who isn't all that familiar with them, so he'll be finding out stuff about Palasiel at the same pace the players will.

Again, sorry. Not much of an update. Just me rambling on at 1am. I actually have to do about 2 weeks work all over again, because I had a harddrive failure and lost everything, but I had a backup on Dropbox which isn't too far back. All I have to do is replace all the facesets with the portraits I have, and insert on characters voices for about 2 scenes and that's it. So progress had been halted for the past 2 weeks.

--------------------------------------

Also thank you for the support, Pokeymon. I think maybe my post might help alleviate some of the initial concerns people may have (had).

MyLordRobinson likes this.
  13. MyLordRobinson

First Language:
    English
    I have been following your music on youtube, McTricky and I am very, very excited to see this bloom into a brilliant RM game.

14. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So I'm just gonna go ahead and give this a lil' ol' boot up. Haven't worked on this as much as I would have like to. I had delays and then uni started, but my laptop screen has been broken for like 3-4 months, so production time has slowed down heavily.

Gonna say some things though. Know how this was supposed to be split into 5 episodes each? That will no longer be the case. Palasiel Quest will be one full game. I made this decision because it will just be less stress on my end. However, the original intended "first episode" will still be released as a pilot, and then the full thing will be released when it's done.

A demo is also due too, but I've had to replace one of the voice actresses who appears in the demo, otherwise that would be out. Definitely pushing for a demo release by the end of this year.

And now here's some music I composed for the game. First up is Obligatory Caverns, a dungeon theme. The name of the cave it's used for is just as generic as the title of the song, I'm aware. It's supposed to be like that, haha.

And this one is called Manaical Prodigy ~Reprise~. It's a remake of the original battle theme that I composed last year. It's unique to one of the antagonists in the game called Aceri, a very dangerous and insane girl. This is the "Tense Mix" version. A Tense Mix is something that occurs in my boss battle soundtracks, where once the battle reaches it's climax (last 25% HP or something) then the Tense Mix of the same boss theme will seamlessly cross-fade in, heightening the intensity of the track. A Tense Mix track will usually have more instruments, additional sections and might have a slight electronic vibe.

MyLordRobinson likes this.
  15. MyLordRobinson

First Language:
    English
    I listened to your music on the youtube channel- It's pretty amazing what you can do.

16. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
  17. Lars Ulrika

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I truly hope I'll have some free time when you release the first demo I love this kind of projects! 

18. Dream3r

Dream3r 90% Dreamer, 100% Dedicated Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey saw your trailer on another thread and came to check your game out here. Why is that game scene not on the front page of this? It sold me right away, good voice acting through and through

19. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    FINALLY GOT A DEMO RELEASED!

Ahem...

This is the first demo (Demo A) of the pilot episode of Palasiel Quest. The game starts at the opening cinematic, and then the demo skips forward to a later part of the game, where you'll be locked into doing one mission. 

You'll join Daran and Ariel as they opt to join a woman named Saoirse to collect the royal Sigils of Parisa. But the journey ends up being more than just a simple treasure hunt... 

The demo is fully voiced as well! The playtime should be 1hr+. You can download the demo here, or check the first post!

Dream3r likes this.
  20. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    this game seem pretty cool Jeriemiah-kun! 

this was for this game the Control Battlestart Se script I do for you ;w;?