Harmill

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So because I was still very early, I decided to get the new demo and catch up to where I was. But I think I found a minor bug. There's one treasure chest at the south gate of the starting town that contains 3 Vials of Water or something and when I checked my inventory, they weren't there. Maybe double check that the add item event is there.

Fernyfer775

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hmmm, did you check in the "Supplies" section of the item tab?

If you scroll to the Right of the "Quests" item tab, it should be in there.

* Newest Updates (July 14, 2014)*

So just a couple of things I've fixed in the mostly uploaded demo:

• Increased experience gained from many of the crafting recipes, and lowered the levels required to make some of the items as well.
  • Fixed tile passability bugs I encountered in recent test play(s).
  • Fixed a few grammar mistakes encountered in recent test play(s).
  • In Blison Town, after speaking with the Guard Captain, the barricade blocking your path into Blison Forest is supposed to disappear, but I forgot to add the 2nd page event which makes them go away, so this has been fixed.
  • Added a new mini cut-scene after the 2nd Legion encounter in Accu City.
  • Did some minor enemy balancing (reduced defense of all enemies by about 10% across the board).
  • Fixed prices on a few crafting recipes.
New demo is up and ready, those who wish to play through Blison Forest and on will need to download the new demo!

Last edited by a moderator:

Harmill

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So yeah, there's no bug about the Vials of Water - I didn't realize there were two extra item tabs if I scrolled to the right. They are kinda hidden.

Fernyfer775

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
So yeah, there's no bug about the Vials of Water - I didn't realize there were two extra item tabs if I scrolled to the right. They are kinda hidden.
I really do enjoy watching your Let's Plays. You have the kind of voice that I totally imagined Alex having, so hearing you read his dialogue makes me grin! ^_^

* Newest Updates (July 16, 2014) *

• Fixed an issue in the Hyrupe Dungeon where you could not access to the final puzzle before the boss (transfer event error on my part), which has now been fixed.
  • Two new mini-quests have been added to Kader Town, and one to Blison Town.
  • A special reward has been added to the story-line quest in Blison Town, which can be earned depending on how many people you save (aka, don't murder) while in Blison Forest.
  • A few minor changes have been made to dialogue, including more grammar corrections.
  • Legion boss #4 and #5 have been slightly buffed, as they were reportedly a bit too easy.
New demo is up and ready, those who wish to play through Hyrupe and on will need to download the new demo!

Harmill

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm enjoying the game so far - games with monster-capturing instantly have my attention and so far there isn't anything jumping out at me as frustrating. It's a bit unsettling to miss when I have 95% Accuracy but it hasn't been frequent enough to tell me there's something off with the balancing.

I really do wish there was a delay (wind-up) before a character starts their ultimate attack though. I'm often caught off guard and unready to start the button inputs either because my commentary has distracted me or because the turn order can be a bit hard to predict when I can expect the ultimate attacker to go.

Fernyfer775

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Hamil: You have no idea how much I appreciate your feedback on some of the more "technical" things in my game that most people don't catch onto or mention, such as tool tip inconsistency and capturable demons and fightable demons having different abilities (Every ability the enemies use in battle, your demons end up learning as they level up, but I have to rebalance a few things as to not confuse the player on why their demons don't have the abilities when they're initially captured). I will definitely be looking into streamlining that stuff a bit more.

As for the checking your "gathering level", I am using a specific script at the moment that will be replaced because I can't for the life of me get it to show your gathering level, and as my scripting knowledge is somewhat mediocre, I will be going a different route with it (I'm a pro eventer, so I'm sure I'll figure something out).

I will also be adding the option to get a skill description from the abilities Moggo can learn so that they know exactly what they're choosing instead of guessing and hoping it was the best choice for them.

Fernyfer775

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
* Newest Updates (July 22, 2014) *

• The demo will now end around the point where the player fights the 2nd Legion.
  • All gathering events have been updated to no longer have a chance at "failure" and have had their "gathering timer bar" removed as well.
  • More story-line dialogue has been added for Miranda, Ferny, Robert, and Council Knight Urnis to give players a bit more back story on these characters (these have been implemented in the form of cut-scenes).
  • Hyrupe has been fully completed. Maps, events, story-line, mini-quests, shops are now 100% functional.
  • Legion boss #4 has been updated to be a bigger challenge since he was reportedly a tad bit too easy.
  • Satact City has been completed, minus mini-quests. Working on Legion #6 encounter and dungeon.
New Screenshots will be added soon! :D

** ATTENTION **

As Demon Hunter reaches it's final stage of development, I am looking for a couple of trusted bug/test players

that will be able to give very thorough feedback on the game mechanics (more-so balancing, mapping errors, finding grammar errors, etc).

I would very much love any help in this department that I could get. I currently have 1 full-time tester helping me out, and hoping

to find 1 or 2 more. The more eyes looking out for these errors, the cleaner my game will be once it's fully released.

Thanks! 

Harmill

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi Fernyfer775, I don't plan on posting every time I have a new video but here are Parts 4, 5, and 6:

Part 4:

Part 5:

Part 6:

As for your search for a bug tester, I won't commit to being a bug tester, but I first and foremost play RPG Maker demos with the intent of finding bugs and providing the developer with feedback. I will play your game thoroughly, and provide detailed feedback when I can, but I probably won't redownload new versions that require me to start from the beginning (I won't say never though).

As for current feedback (because I don't always articulate my feedback well during videos):

Battles:

I feel like normal enemies have too much HP. While it is true that I can often complete a battle in a single turn if there is one enemy, it requires all four party members to attack the same enemy to defeat it in one turn. So far, I haven't had any fights that have more than 2 enemies, and so battles seem very repetitive with little variety. I like that you are going a "Pokémon route" with your skills: having universal skills that you then distribute to a number of different demons (ex: many enemies can learn Fury Swipes, or Body Slam, etc). But I don't find that I have to use my abilities for any strategic uses. I'm still using "whatever ability does the most damage" every turn, every fight, because enemies don't have interesting behaviours or resistances to prevent a single strategy from being applicable to all fights.

I find it interesting that stats like "Hit Rate", "Evasion", "Critical Chance", etc, increase as you level up. Is this because you've tied them to various stats?

I'm not a fan of Limit Break skills in general (they usually come across as the "easy mode" for boss fights), and so I'm especially not a fan of needing to perform key inputs to successfully use them. I understand that there is meant to be a risk/reward factor in using one (you lose a turn if you fail the inputs), but right now there other factors that conflict with it. Namely, it's hard to be fully prepared for the button inputs because there is pretty much no "wind up" time before the skill gets activated. At least in Final Fantasy X, the screen would focus on Auron preparing his attack before the button inputs showed up on screen. It gave you the opportunity to prepare for it.

Character Progression:

First off, I have yet to find a single accessory to equip to either Alex, or any of my demons. Accessories are usually the equipment slots that provide the most customization and strategic use for the player. Do they get introduced a bit later or have you yet to design them?

I really like your usage of your four sword "classes". It was especially smart of you to give all swords the same ATK and SPI stats and instead differentiate them with their "unique bonus". There is a really cool sense of progression as I get the Lv.2 versions of the swords, and seeing the CRIT Chance, or Bleed Chance go up! These types of systems get me hooked because I can't wait to get stronger and stronger swords to see my "Physical and Magic Evasion" chance increase to high levels!

I've noticed that Alex has really slow character growth compared to demons. As in, with each level up, Alex gets less stats per level than demons. I've realized that this seems to have been done to offset the permanent stat gains Alex receives for completing quests or freeing souls. However, because of this offset, I feel like anyone who chooses not to do quests (and you can be sure that not everyone is going to do quests if they don't have any interesting qualities) will have a gimped Alex. I've done every quest I've come across, and all the bonus stats that Alex has received has made him slightly stronger than my demons. I can only imagine how much weaker I'd be if I chose to skip quests.

And that leads to my next point: quests. They don't have much substance. Particularly, in Part 6, I do the "Put 5 posters on the shops in town" and it's just....not challenging, not fun, and it just feels pointless. I just run around the town, press X on the pre-marked locations, and I get rewarded for it. Quests in general tend to be difficult to make interesting (this is why I do not care for Open-World RPGs...because their quests tend to be boring and repetitive), so if I don't feel like I have enough ideas to make them interesting, or I don't want to spend the time to make them interesting, I'd rather opt to not have quests at all. This is just my opinion on quests though, and so far there's only been one quest that wasn't boring (fighting the Prick monster). I do quests because I am a completionist by nature, so even if I'm not enjoying them I still feel compelled to complete them. And by completing them, I can actually let you know when I think there's a specific problem with one of them, or a larger problem with quests in general.

Dungeons/Field

I think it's nice that I don't have to worry about random encounters, but in dungeons, the corridors are too narrow for me to sneak or charge past the red enemies. It seems counter-intuitive. Yes, by having Touch Encounters, we can now trigger battles as we please, but if you create the pathways to be so narrow that I cannot avoid the Touch Encounters, or it becomes to cumbersome to do so that you might as well fight them, then it defeats the purpose of having Touch Encounters (well, maybe not entirely, but you lose a distinct benefit that Touch Encounters have over random battles). It would be nice to widen up some of the areas.

The chase behaviour of the red enemies is also in conflict with the exploration and harvesting. If there is a red enemy within 4 tiles of a harvest tile, the enemy will start to chase me WHILE I'm extracting the herbs or rocks, and it can create scenarios where fights auto-trigger as soon as the harvest sequence ends.

Demons

As I get farther into the game and find more demons to capture, I think I'm noticing what is going to be a trend. I've only reached 2 "sets" of demons so far, but it looks like with each new Field/Dungeon I get to, there is going to be one new demon from each class (Ravager, Medic, Sabatouer, etc). And so far, the newest Ravager outclasses the previous Ravager. The newest Sabatouer outclasses the previous Sabatouer. And each new Sabatouer has mostly the same skillset as the previous Sabatouer, making the primary distinction between them their stat spreads. My problem with this is my same issue with random loot in games like Diablo or Borderlands: you can't get attached to your "weapons" (in this case, Demons) because you are constantly ditching them for the newest bestest thing you find. Maybe this is not the case in Demon Hunter, but I'd recommend considering this and seeing which route you want to go. If your intent is for the player to be "upgrading" to better demons constantly, then sure, you can go that route. Personally, I'd rather be able to keep any demon that I find "cool" and not feeling like I'm placing a handicap on myself for refusing to "upgrade" to the most recent demon of that class.

Evil Overlord

The Evil Overlord
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hmph! You thought it was all over? Nonsense! My conquest will not end until this world comes to rest in the palm of my hand! Go forth, my legion!

- Seiryuu -

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/zqeYUd4.png[/IMG]

HP: 3400 MP: 800

ATK: 250 DEF: 120

INT: 250 AGI: 115

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Is no one tackling this beast? Seiryuu, take 20!

RXzL0Ad.png
RXzL0Ad.png
RXzL0Ad.png
RXzL0Ad.png
RXzL0Ad.png

RXzL0Ad.png
RXzL0Ad.png
RXzL0Ad.png
RXzL0Ad.png
RXzL0Ad.png

RXzL0Ad.png
RXzL0Ad.png
RXzL0Ad.png
RXzL0Ad.png
RXzL0Ad.png

RXzL0Ad.png
RXzL0Ad.png
RXzL0Ad.png
RXzL0Ad.png
RXzL0Ad.png

Edit: Also, ironic Seiryuu appears in a thread called Demon Hunter lol

Zane

Food for thought
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
US English
Primarily Uses
Oooh, good catch Alkorri.

Reloads party cannon and fires away!
I could lob Hamburgers -- *Throws Hamburgers* 100% Pure Ground Beef, Take that Seiryuu!

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, good call Zane. Since the store has been sufficiently raided, mlogan prepares the next best thing - water balloons! Hey guys there are plenty here, come and get them!

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Nooooo, Zane... what if Seiryuu LIKES hamburgers?? ;D

Mlogan to the fray!

Zane

Food for thought
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
US English
Primarily Uses
Nooooo, Zane... what if Seiryuu LIKES hamburgers?? ;D

Mlogan to the fray!
Then it'll be too focused on eating to fight! Don't worry I thought this one through ;)

Oh, good call Zane. Since the store has been sufficiently raided, mlogan prepares the next best thing - water balloons! Hey guys there are plenty here, come and get them!
It's not a good idea to go swimming before 1 hour after you eat. lol Ralph said not to bring the monsters pain, you'll give it cramps if it has to swim though 500+ water balloons!

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not to bring the monster pain?!?!? Isn't that the whole idea of this thing?

Zane

Food for thought
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
US English
Primarily Uses
Not to bring the monster pain?!?!? Isn't that the whole idea of this thing?
Nope, the idea is to purify them with love, hence why they're called love balls.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OOOOHHHH, missed that part. Well, water balloons are lots of fun, so it's along the same lines. I think they'll be okay.

Bonkers

I haven't seen you since the plague.
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Gonna toss 20x 
RXzL0Ad.png
 at  Seiryuu.  I remember it's 6 down and 7 left.  You never forget the important details.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Don't think I can ignore this anymore, but it only happens like once a day. Not sure why my entire pc slows down though, its using a lot of memory but not compared to my max. Seem the thread about updating the nwjs it a while ago, it just looked like a pain/tldr :p
nwjs.PNG
Quite the versatile cast so far :p

chars.PNG

Edit: Sprites are made by Alexdraws and TheMightyPalm. I just edited them.
Degica Games Turn Komodo | RPG Maker News #77

Well, rats. Was really looking forward to trying out FPS Creator, but trying to install and set it up was pretty much impossible for my tiny brain to comprehend. So much for that, then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khaotom