Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
zqJK0x2.png

Backstory

The year is 2083. Once a beacon of hope for what remains of humanity, the city of Neo Orbis, owned by the megacorporation Citadel, is now being consumed by crime and corruption. Police struggle to keep order in the outer sectors as gangs with illegal cybernetic mods continue to rise in power. The population begins to reach maximum capacity and unrest starts to grow. Citadel issues the NPZ (No Police Zone) system for sectors where the violence cannot be contained, leaving civilians at the mercy of the gangs and sinister organizations.

hVypdhy.gif

Combat
  • The combat in the game will feature animated enemies, each with their own death animations.
  • Rather than learning skills by levelling up, players will have to equip cybernetic upgrades to gain the advantage in battle.
  • All weapons have their own animations and most have special abilities.
  • Healing in the game is limited so players will have to use shielding strategically to mitigate damage.
  • Certain battles have multiple outcomes defending on how you deal with the enemies.
TWLBgaY.gif

Music

I believe that music is just as important as visuals or a good story, which is why I've been licensing music from from various retro synth artists, to fit the cyberpunk setting.

Last edited:

Alastor01

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
N/A
This game has a great potential!
Especially your battle system, it is very well built.
Could you please share how you have done weapon animation in front view? Did you use a plugin?
Thanks!

Kemsyn

Not bad...for a human.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This game has a great potential!
Especially your battle system, it is very well built.
Could you please share how you have done weapon animation in front view? Did you use a plugin?
Thanks!

Thanks, I really appreciate that.

The weapon animations aren't that complicated, I just created the weapon image on an animation sheet and made a new animation in the database then I positioned all the cells until the animation looked right. The muzzle flash was made using one of the default animation images and once i had all the frames positioned I lowered the cells below the weapon, after that I just assigned the animation to a weapon. I also used Yanfly's YEP_CoreEngine to increase the animation speed so things move smoother. Most of the weapon animations are around 30-50 frames.

Hope I explained that well enough haha

Alastor01

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
N/A
I appreciate your help!
Best of luck with the project ;)
You are definitely on a right track in terms of gameplay. I personally enjoy FPS-like view, makes it unique here in RPGs. With firearms it makes the experience much more intimate. I was thinking it would suit a survival horror genre as well.

Kemsyn

Not bad...for a human.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I appreciate your help!
Best of luck with the project ;)
You are definitely on a right track in terms of gameplay. I personally enjoy FPS-like view, makes it unique here in RPGs. With firearms it makes the experience much more intimate. I was thinking it would suit a survival horror genre as well.

DemonCyber actually has some horror elements later on in the story so I can definitely see it working in a survival horror game.

Dude, I love the 70's neon style retro.

Thanks! It makes me happy that you can appreciate the style I was going for.

Kemsyn

Not bad...for a human.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Recently acquired a new track for the game by Matt Mason, he makes some really cool cyberpunk inspired music if you're into that kinda thing.

Other than that I've been busy trying to finish the demo when I can find the time. I finally started work on the melee animations, which I've been putting off for ages.

EVEkxq1.gif

Last edited:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow! This game looks fantastic. I'm particularly fond of the FPS style battles you've created. I love seeing how others use RPG Maker, it always inspires me. :)

Kemsyn

Not bad...for a human.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow! This game looks fantastic. I'm particularly fond of the FPS style battles you've created. I love seeing how others use RPG Maker, it always inspires me. :)

Thanks, I really appreciate it. It's comments like this that keep me going. My aim is to create an RPG with familiar gameplay but with a story and setting unlike anything else. The first person battles were inspired by an RPG I had way back called Miracle Warriors, it didn't have animations but I always imagined what the spells looked like in my mind. I'd love to make a dark fantasy RPG one day with a similar battle system.

Skurge

Archtross Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oooh I like the look of this, I especially like the animations with the cutscenes like the drive by shooting.
I'll have to give this one a go!

Kemsyn

Not bad...for a human.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oooh I like the look of this, I especially like the animations with the cutscenes like the drive by shooting.
I'll have to give this one a go!
Thanks, I got a few messed up animations like that which probably won't make it into the final game. Maybe I'll post them here for a laugh.

Also, you don't get to try my game until I play the Archtross demo, dam slacker.

Skurge

Archtross Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Haha we'll have to see, my project has a few bugs I can't understand that's in the way.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kemsyn I think you've definitely got something great and unique here. that music has such a nice retro vibe. It's also good to meet another dev who said to himself "this is what I want to make" then just went for it. It takes a lot of passion and dedication, and that's something I greatly respect.

Keep up the good work. This, and @Skurge's game, are definitely projects I can't wait to play. :)

Kemsyn

Not bad...for a human.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Skurge That sucks dude, I really hope you get it sorted. I didn't have an account then but I used to follow Archtross on the forum, it was one of the games that inspired me when I was learning how to use RPG Maker. I ran into a few brick walls at the beginning too, but I think the worst is over for me.

@The Stranger Thanks, that means a lot to me. I started learning RPG Maker and pixel art from scratch about about 2 years ago so my passion for the project has to make up for my lack of talent and experience. I even attempted to make my own music for the game but it was taking up too much of my time and I wasn't very good so I decided to license it instead.

Speaking of music, I added another track to the game. I cut out the intro with the talking at the start and I'm using it for certain boss battles.

I just finished one of the bridges connecting the outer sectors and I thought I'd share it since I spent nearly all night making the background.
hVypdhy.gif

Here's an image I'm thinking of using as a news broadcast or something that you access when interacting with TV's and displays. It would also serve as a kind of world map so you have a general idea of where you are in the city.
LKOwtrz.png

Last edited:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Really like the holographic city map. Big fan of interactable objects in games: newspapers, teles, radios, etc. Will these things change as the game progresses?

Kemsyn

Not bad...for a human.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Really like the holographic city map. Big fan of interactable objects in games: newspapers, teles, radios, etc. Will these things change as the game progresses?

Sorry for the late reply, I've been really busy with work and personal life the past couple weeks and haven't had much of a chance to work on the game.

I'm aiming to make the city interactive whenever I have the opportunity. As well as the map I posted, there will be things such as news broadcasts, adverts and TV shows to flesh out the world and immerse the player. You will of course be able to interact with many objects and even find hidden goodies in unexpected places.

I've mainly been powering through the battle animations recently and should have enough to complete the demo soon.
Here's a couple that I just finished:
BvYnbYt.gif

Last edited:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Really got your work cut out for you. Sounds awesome, though. I loved sitting there while listening to the radio in VTMB.

I really do love your battle system, and that flamethrower looks fantastic. The death animation of the enemy reminds of those old Doom, Duke, and Blood games. :)

Kemsyn

Not bad...for a human.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I definitely have a long hard road ahead but I'm determined to see this through to the end. I plan on running a kickstarter after I complete the demo, so that I can hire some help to speed things along. You'll be happy to know there's already a jukebox in one of the bars and I plan to implement radios too.

I looked at a lot of old fps games for inspiration when it came to the death animations. What I'd really love to do is get a plugin that allows certain skills to activate specific death animations, that would mean a lot more work for me though :(

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it'd be a nice thing to have, but personally, I'd say you already have enough on your plate as it is. Something like unique death animations could always be implemented at a later date should you feel it's worth the effort. :)

Yay for bars and clubs! Will there be a section of the dance floor the player can interact with which triggers a little dancing animation for the character? :p

Kemsyn

Not bad...for a human.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Seeing as the main character is a cybernetic weapon, created to be the ultimate killing machine, it might be kinda weird to see him dancing :guffaw:
He will undergo a lot of character development throughout the game though, and there is some wacky stuff in there too, so it's possible! Thanks for the idea :)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

AABS laser beams features:
1,Shoot penetrating laser beams for player's normal attack
2,Beam's width/damage/comsumes/loot can be controlled by events/variables with great flexibility
3,Beam can rebound to walls or certain regionID
4,Can play SE when shooting beams
5,Beam's images can be solid images or animated ones.
Surprising nobody, it turns out "next Friday" for the next Jump into Javascript has become "possibly Sunday if you're lucky" XD
Folks, if anyone sends you a message inviting you to add their API to your game, please report them. We don't want people spamming our members asking them to add stuff to their games for their own (or others') benefit. We've updated the forum rules to confirm this.
I'm listening to iiluminaughtii talking about the secrets behind shady businesses and scams. Meanwhile I'm writing a fanfic about Sephiroth from FF7, one specifically for my stepmom. I'll get to give it to her, too, because my boss said I could take the holidays off! Dec. 22-27 I will be in Orlando, and maybe Fort Myers too, visiting my dad and stepmom!
Of course, I bought a handful of games on the Steam Black Friday sale. Will I try them? Will I complete any? Who knows...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WakeNBake