Hollow 1977

Rpg MV Game Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
To everyone this was a game I was working on for IGMC 2017. I failed to make the deadline but I want to continue to develop it. For now though it is being discontinued. Thanks for the feedback.

A basic tale of heroes doing what they usually do fighting evil. Basically some no name townsfolk from the small town of Gustona are being terrorized by a no name demon lord and a small band of heroes is setting out to slay it and save the day. But something else is amidst and could change path of the story. Only one way to find out. Play this game.

Actors:

Harold : Your average hero whom all damsels fall for and in between he keeps Marsha and Lucius from fighting or Marsha from turning Lucius into human toast.

Marsha: A young sorceress who loves to complain about this that and everything when adventuring. This usually gets Lucius to make some snide remark and Marsha threatening Lucius in some way or another.

Lucius: Your average know it all genius healer who loves to bust out witty snide remarks especially towards Marsha. Which usually lands him in hot water.

Therese: A powerful warrior who is a bit shy although she is quick straighten Harold out when he is crushing on some gorgeous girl.

Control:

Moving around on map or dungeon : arrow keys

Talking to someone or touching some object usually a heal point: Enter

Scrolling text: Enter

Camp Screen: Esc

Saving: Esc then click save on camp screen to pull up the menu.

File Location
Removed.

Thanks for reading and have fun playing the game!

Last edited:

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Moved to Games in Development at OP's request.

onipunk

Archmage of Procrastination
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Few things I've noticed from your post, and this comes with the caveat that I haven't played the game yet but I'll be back with more detailed feedback on the gameplay systems if/when I get around to doing so, but for now here are my thoughts:

Spellcheck, my dude. "Terroizing" isn't right, ""heroes that the have" shouldn't have the "the" and "could of" should be "could have". They're simple errors that could easily be caught by checking your lines in a word processor before putting them into your game, so take the extra few minutes to make sure there's nothing in there that can break immersion. Gotta use some punctuation too, otherwise the sentences come off as flat, awkward and poorly paced. The control scheme doesn't seem particularly intuitive, especially on a laptop, where using arrow keys and Enter requires your left hand to be stretched way over the keyboard and your hands to be super close to each other, and that's just not comfy. I'd recommend either sticking with MV's default scheme of arrows with Z and X, or swapping movement to WASD. If you're using a side-view battle system, you should be moving the enemies over to the left of the screen in the Troops tab because it looks so wrong to have them that close to your party with that much empty space on the left of the screen. I'm not super fond of the mapping, especially the verdant trees in the middle of a toxic swamp filled with other dead trees, that is in itself in the middle of a desert (which aren't usually known for their lush greenery). It's little mistakes like the transparent ground the mountains in the northeast are on that make the difference, but by studying world maps, towns and dungeons of games you like and learning from them you can get much better. Using "your average" twice in the space of four character bios doesn't fill me with confidence that you're actually doing something new or interesting, either, so a little more effort into the game and character description to really sell people on this game isn't a bad idea.

These are problems we've all experienced while starting out in RPG Maker, and no-one makes an amazing game instantly. Every great RPG Maker game is built on the back of a bunch of failed or inferior projects as the creators kept practising, making games, and learning from their mistakes, and there's no reason anyone can't get there. So just keep plugging away at it and learning as you do, and you'll reap the rewards.

Applesaws

Apple
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd recommend not using the default example characters unless that's the point of the game

Hollow 1977

Rpg MV Game Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This was my entry for IGMC 2017 so I did not have a lot of time to draw characters and it was rushed to meet the deadline. Sadly I made mistake and failed to upload the files or do a spell check. Thanks for letting me know about the errors.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been curious about this game because I saw the MV RTP characters, I too am making stories about them in my games (even if my versions of them are completely different character-wise).
I hope you can take my criticism, we are all here to improve after all.

Take a deep breath and...brace yourself!

Problems I've found:

- The game starts too suddenly (no intro at all?), it just goes directly to the world map. Make an intro cutscene please.
- There are a lot of passability errors, I can walk on a lot of world map tiles and I'm not supposed to do that, as some characters are blocking my way and require the heroes to find specific items to advance.
- There are a lot of mapping errors too. You have to shift-map when using specific tiles or else they will look blocky and wrong ingame (especially when you put snow tiles near deserts). Also some mountain tiles appear with a black squared outline.
- Why in a medieval village I can hear a BGS with car traffic and modern sounds?
- The village is too empty, add more cliffs, trees, decorations. Make it more lively.
- The INN door doesn't have any animation and the counter you used for the inside is not a counter but a normal wall tile, also you would want to check the passibility of it because I can walk on the top and it triggers bugs when I talk to the innkeeper.
- The mayor is not standing like he should btw, that's not his normal standing animation frame but a walking one. He looks like he has paralysis if you leave him in that way.
- You might work on your grammar too, there are plenty mistakes and missing commas everywhere. As much as your version of the RTP characters are interesting, their dialogues just don't flow.

I can't seem to procede any further in the game, the mayor asks me to sleep in the INN and I do that, but he keeps asking me to do it everytime...and this goes on and on in an eternal loop. You probably forgot to add a switch to advance in the story.

I hope I'm not too harsh here but constructive criticism and bug reports are what everyone needs to improve with their projects.
Good luck! Looking forward to play an eventual updated version of your game.

Hollow 1977

Rpg MV Game Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks for critique.

Not sure what to do for a cutscene or how to make one.

The inn counter I tried to make it solid but then my character would not interact with it.

The mayor I can fix. I will play thru again and test out. I did have problems with the mayor before.

The dialogue was rushed to meet the deadline. I hope to add more.

The items required by the people outside are correct. You have to have a certain talisman to proceed to the next stage. Right now only the first stage is playable.

I will work on it as I can. Again thanks for comments.

onipunk

Archmage of Procrastination
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm sure there's some great tutorials out there for making cutscenes in RPG Maker but the basics of it involve making events, assigning graphics to them and then using a combination of move routes, text boxes and animations to further your story. Look up some tutorials, play about with it and you'll get to grips with it eventually, just like everyone else has. I guarantee you I didn't boot up RPG Maker and get straight into making a game with cutscenes or amazing maps, but after practising and just continuing to make games, I got there. You will too.

Hollow 1977

Rpg MV Game Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks for the comments. I am going to remove this game for now. I may come back to it but it has been removed from the website. Thanks again for the feedback.

Last edited:

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

Closed at the request of the OP. If you want it reopened, please report this post and give the reason why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be going live early today as I will be working on some music before I transition to art! When I switch to art, I will be focusing on making a new stream avatar~ Feel free to drop by!
For anyone who has uploaded a game to Steam and wonders if they actually check your game's build when you first upload it, I can personally vouch for Steam.
6 more towns to make in my game. SIX. not done with interiors yet but SIX EXTERIORS.
what to do when you come across a person that has stated "What if I say, f*** their EULA? I could probably get away with it." concerning asset packs sold here... on this site ...
So a guy enters in a bar and walks up to the counter. He looks the bartender with a mysterious look and asks him...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yasukun55