NWeiss

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi friends,

First of all, I'm a full-blown noob all around (I'm not a programmer in any sense, I'm new to RPG Maker, this is my first forum post, and, while I've studied and played games for my whole life, this is my first game), so I apologize if this is in the wrong place or I say something dumb. I appreciate any help anyone can give.

So here's my issue:
I deployed a WIP version of my game to show some people what I was working on. After I did that, my playtest function within the builder (not sure of the terminology) no longer functioned properly: I now need to deploy whenever I want to test any changes I make.

At first, I thought that was just an annoyance and a hindrance, but this was slated to be a smaller project (it being my first), and I couldn't find a solution online, so I decided to ignore it and suck it up.

However, I noticed that my project was getting bigger and bigger at an unbelievable rate and that the Deployments were taking longer. I looked into it, and it seems like each time I deploy, it is creating a copy of everything within the game folder and putting that into a subfolder within the game folder. The result is like a nesting doll of versions of the game. Each "WWW" subfolder has all the audio, data, fonts, etc. and also another WWW subfolder.

The end result is that my project file is now 20GB(!), and I'm only about half-way done with what was intended to be a small game to begin with. I was planning on distributing it for free once I'm done, but that's already difficult at this size and will surely be impossible, at this rate, once I'm actually done.

Does anyone know what I did wrong and, preferably, how to fix it? Obviously, I'd rather not have to delete everything I've done so far and start from scratch, but I figured I should come here to the experts before I kept working or else I might just be adding to the pile of work that might ultimately need to get scrapped.

Thanks again for any help anyone can give.

Some pics of what it looks like below:

Deployment-issue.png Deployment-2.png

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When you deploy, you need to make sure you are selecting a folder that is not you game's project folder. You are continually deploying it into your game's folder, thus the issues and the size bloat you are having.

NWeiss

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, well, that was easy enough. Thank you!

Any idea what's up with the playtest not working anymore unless I deploy first?

NWeiss

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, well, that was easy enough. Thank you!

Any idea what's up with the playtest not working anymore unless I deploy first?

Nevermind, that appears to have been related, as it has now fixed itself. Thank you. I don't know if this forum likes to lock or delete threads once they've been resolved, but if so, we can do so here. Thanks again!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, they are related. If you deploy into your game folder, you overwrite one of the files there that controls the play test, making it unusable.

To have a thread locked, report your first post and let the mods know it's resolved. They'll lock it for you.

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's stupid that the editor allows this, so I started a suggestion thread in the improvement forum that it should be made impossible in the next version.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally caved and implemented TAA Spider's book plugin. What little I lost in terms of aesthetic for the drawn books and notes, this more than makes up for in legibility, organization, and that sweet, sweet update text feature.
oft0nxA.png
Really hard to let go of a pet.
Switch actor positions during battle
Download
01010.PNG
SF_People3_1 added!
index.php

Micro rant. The worst part of working from home when you live with your family is seeing how inconsiderate they are. "Hey, you're sitting in front of your computer, that means you're not doing anything! I want to put the TV at 200 decibels!"

If I was working in the office would you still talking me like that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRR19