LegendaryNono

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello everyone, i need help and i absolutely don't know what to do ! I've been creating a game for my friendgroup since 3 years now. Last week i just finished it and deployed both Windows and Mac OS versions for everyone to play (there are roughly 20 players of my game).

But for some reason, the Mac version doesn't even open, and it's sad since 2 persons actually have only a macbook to play. I tried multiple solutions found on the internet but nothing worked. We guessed that maybe it doesn't work on some version of Mac OS (my friend has Big Sur). I wanted to propose a Browser version and an Android/IOS so they can at least play elsewhere, but these versions doesn't work at all either.

Can you all help me ? I'm very sad and exhausted that some of my friends cannot try it, after all these years.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
do your friends get a folder or an app?
what OS is the system when you deploy to MacOS?

One of the problems is that a MacOS harddrive has a different structure than a windows harddrive, and if you deploy from windows the engine can't create the flag that tells the MacOS "this is an app" because that flag does not exist under NTFS. That is why the deployment result is a folder when deployed from Windows and an app if deployed from MacOS.

LegendaryNono

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well he gets an .app (Game.app) when he download it. I deploy the game from my pc (Windows 10), then i compress it (.zip) and then put it online so they can download it.

We also try to skip the compressing and put online for him the original deployed game but it still doesn't work. Should i deploy from a Mac ?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well he gets an .app (Game.app)
that might not what I'm talking about.

on your windows computer, that is a folder named game.app
but what is it on his computer? a folder that opens on doubleclick or an application that runs on doubleclick?
only the second one is correct, and if it is an folder then you should try to install the editor on the mac (needs steam installed) and then deploy to mac from MacOS.

LegendaryNono

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that might not what I'm talking about.

on your windows computer, that is a folder named game.app
but what is it on his computer? a folder that opens on doubleclick or an application that runs on doubleclick?
only the second one is correct, and if it is an folder then you should try to install the editor on the mac (needs steam installed) and then deploy to mac from MacOS.
On his computer, it's an application that runs on doubleclick (at least SHOULD run, but instead display an error messag). That's not a folder.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
then you are already past that problem I thought of.
next possibility is a conflict with the latest MacOS version: there are already several topics about that, some reporting partial or full success in solving it.
Unfortunately I don't have the links, you'll have to search for those topics.
there should be two or three different ones in the last few month, and you'll have to check all of them because I don't know which one had possible solutions.

alternatively you can deploy to web and send the www folder to your friedn, who could then play the game by launching the index.html with safari or firefox or so.

LegendaryNono

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
RMMV
then you are already past that problem I thought of.
next possibility is a conflict with the latest MacOS version: there are already several topics about that, some reporting partial or full success in solving it.
Unfortunately I don't have the links, you'll have to search for those topics.
there should be two or three different ones in the last few month, and you'll have to check all of them because I don't know which one had possible solutions.

alternatively you can deploy to web and send the www folder to your friedn, who could then play the game by launching the index.html with safari or firefox or so.
I looked up to some topics but couldn't find something helpful. The most elabrate solution was using some other logiciels, but when i follow the links it never propose RPG Maker MV (only other version like MZ, VX, VX Ace etc...). I'll try searching for more.

Would love to deploy a web version, but it didn't work too and i'm not sure of how it works ? When i deployed one, and try playing by the "index.html" the game instantly crash saying than a specific file is not found (Actors.json) although the said file is INDEED present.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
" the game instantly crash saying than a specific file is not found (Actors.json) although the said file is INDEED present.
that usually means that the filepath above the file contains letters or symbols that break the networking rules required for a HTML5-based game.

If you give us the full filepath beginning with the drive letter ("c:\folder\folder\" and so on), then we can tell you which part of that path breaks the rules and causes the problem.
(the playtest redirects the path to a virtual folder exactly to prevent that, but that requires access you don't have in a regular browser)

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
What message appears if you click on the "question mark" icon?

Would love to deploy a web version, but it didn't work too and i'm not sure of how it works ? When i deployed one, and try playing by the "index.html" the game instantly crash saying than a specific file is not found (Actors.json) although the said file is INDEED present.
About the error that happens when you open index.html:
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/fix-error-failed-to-load-data-actors-json.124240/
(Use this as a last resort.)

This error that happens with your friends' Mac-OS may be an isolated problem. Ask them to download small games for MacOS, I believe the same error will happen:
https://itch.io/games/platform-osx

LegendaryNono

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that usually means that the filepath above the file contains letters or symbols that break the networking rules required for a HTML5-based game.

If you give us the full filepath beginning with the drive letter ("c:\folder\folder\" and so on), then we can tell you which part of that path breaks the rules and causes the problem.
(the playtest redirects the path to a virtual folder exactly to prevent that, but that requires access you don't have in a regular browser)
Well the full path to this file is "c:\Utilisateurs\Admin\Bureau\Légion RPG\www\data\Actors.json" . I think it's pretty classic, isn't it ? (my pc is in french, and "Légion RPG" is the title of the game)

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
It may be that the problem is the accent in the folder name.
If so, it is very likely that several files will crash the game because it cannot be found.
This problem is very common in several languages, German, Portuguese, Russian, Japanese and others.

LegendaryNono

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What message appears if you click on the "question mark" icon?

About the error that happens when you open index.html:
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/fix-error-failed-to-load-data-actors-json.124240/
(Use this as a last resort.)

This error that happens with your friends' Mac-OS may be an isolated problem. Ask them to download small games for MacOS, I believe the same error will happen:
https://itch.io/games/platform-osx
I don't remember exactly, but it was something about administrator access (which he has). I tried to put the command of the topic (--allow-file-access-from-files) but it still doesn't work. I'm not really sure if i put it in the good place though.

Oh and i asked my friend to go look for some other games (to see if it's an isolated problem).

It may be that the problem is the accent in the folder name.
If so, it is very likely that several files will crash the game because it cannot be found.
This problem is very common in several languages, German, Portuguese, Russian, Japanese and others.
It's not the accent, i removed it and the same error appears :/ (Error Failed to load data/Actors.json)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Légion RPG
the problems are both the accent AND the space in the foldername.
There might be additional problems, but those two have to be replaced for the file access of the browser.

if you still get the failed to load after changing both of that, can you give a screenshot of the console output when that message appears? That might help us to point to additional problems.

LegendaryNono

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the problems are both the accent AND the space in the foldername.
There might be additional problems, but those two have to be replaced for the file access of the browser.

if you still get the failed to load after changing both of that, can you give a screenshot of the console output when that message appears? That might help us to point to additional problems.
It still fails, without the accent and space. I'm sorry, what is the console output and where can i find it ? Sorry i'm not that gifted in technic problems ahah ^^'

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

@LegendaryNono, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can use the "Edit" function on your posts to add additional information you've forgotten or respond to multiple people. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

You can use the +Quote button to select each post you want to reply to, then reply to them all in one post.

LegendaryNono

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
RMMV
[dpost]@LegendaryNono[/dpost]

You can use the +Quote button to select each post you want to reply to, then reply to them all in one post.
Oh okay i'm sorry ! I didn't read the rules already, but definitely gonna do ! Thanks a lot for the information, i'm testing all functions one by one ahah.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
It's not the accent, i removed it and the same error appears :/ (Error Failed to load data/Actors.json)
Bro! You are confusing the two things that I explained.
The accent is on the "Game.app".

The command in the browser is so that they can play the browser version (index.html).

If the "File not found" error was in the "Game.app" it is because I was right about the accent.

To be more detailed:
  • Game.app -> Conflict when reading compressed files with accents
  • index.html -> Web browser -> Works with accents, but needs permission, try using Firefox
Good luck

LegendaryNono

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bro! You are confusing the two things that I explained.
The accent is on the "Game.app".

The command in the browser is so that they can play the browser version (index.html).

If the "File not found" error was in the "Game.app" it is because I was right about the accent.

To be more detailed:
  • Game.app -> Conflict when reading compressed files with accents
  • index.html -> Web browser -> Works with accents, but needs permission, try using Firefox
Good luck
Sorry, i'm still a bit confuses i guess. I tried opening the index.html (for a web version) on firefox but it didn't work. This was the same error again : Error Failed to load data/Actors.json.

Tomorrow i'll try to remove all accents before compressing again a file. I'll hope this help. Thanks to you two for all your help !!!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Time for my daily walk/jog ''Literally starts raining while I open the door''
I just discovered there's a giant jellyfish in the Ace RTP. My day is made.
I'm pretty sure I submitted a username change like 4 months ago.
No offense but uh, still waiting for my name to be updated :/
Boss #1 - All 3 phases.
w5fSXys.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul_code