Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh boy.....

My first game....

heh heh...

It was a game called Elementalists Evolved.

Sure,it had good artwork. @AceOfAces_Mod has a friend who is a great artist, the artist is called  @Silver Wishes

But the game itself sucked.

And the weird part is that I prided myself on the game....

First of all,it used WAY too many default RTP assets.

That just screams unprofessional and unoriginal.

Not to mention,it was full of way too big interiors,already made maps from the RTP and it had the WORST writing.I've been writing for many years,but that skill didn't seem to apply when I wrote EE's story.

This person who made it big with a fangame,DirectDoggo,started criticising my game.Except it was unconstructive.

But in a way it was constructive,it helped me realise how stupid my project was.

I tried reworking it,but it couldn't work.So I just cancelled it.

At times,I've been trying to make EE:Remastered.

But I just can't bring myself to it.

Hopefully,I will...someday.

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Uhm... I've made two minigames and did a polish them up a bit into to stand-lone playable thingies. Can't remember which I did first though.

Push Puzzles: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ijlwzzmdmnz/PushPuzzles_unencrypted.zip

A mini-game where you have to push boulders onto a number of positions. The script checking positions was my very first script. A later revised version is present here though. The scene-selector and stuff I created a couple of years later.

Collect letters: http://www.mediafire.com/file/qjndzydnd2y/Collect+Letters.zip

A mini-game where a maze is generated and you have to run around collecting as many letters as possible.

This minigame actually laid the foundation for my anti-lag script. When testing on a 500x500 map I got... was it 10k or 20k events (non-movable) to spawn, and to run around without any noticeable lag on my machine bag then ^^

They might require the RMXP RTP to play. Can't remember.

*hugs*

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Um... I don't think you want to know. It's serious garbage. It was all RTP and DLC firstly. I was so bad at events at the time, and my story was so badly written, it was literally eye-bleeding just to read. I was trash at drawing back then, so my title screen was terrible. 

aliensalmon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My first game was Project Rachel, made with the VX Ace engine. It was a fantasy/sci-fi hybrid, similar to my other recently abandoned game, Project Elemental. It has similar characters and themes. I've been starting and restarting the project ever since that first iteration.

TheOriginalFive

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The first I actually completed was a text choose your own adventure about the Mechanical Armageddon. Since it didn't get the rip-roaring response I hoped for (The dev I showed it to said the intro was too long!), I'm remaking it in RPGMaker.

The first RPGMaker project I made was about four boaters trapped on an island, they had to find each other and get out of there. Game ends once they escape the island.

rpgmakerxp

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Punamaagi Yeah that second game actually sounds interesting though! Have you ever heard of a game called "Citizens of Earth"? There's stuff like that in that game. The baker is actually one of the best healers as he bakes his cakes with special effects, etc. So you had a neat idea going there.

And sorry I've been gone everybody, I'll be reading through these this week.

SimProse

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My first RPG Maker game: Not too bad, considering it was my first stab at a game with this engine, which i've grown to like a lot. My next step for a RPGM game: To make the next game even bigger and more complex!

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first game was an entry during IGMC 2014. It was my first time really, really sitting down with RPG Maker. While I used the whole month to plan and make assets, the content of the game was mostly assembled over the span of just a week. I learned a lot about how I work and how my boyfriend works during that time. I think this was probably the most important thing I was able to take away from the experience, as well the feedback on the game.

The end result was definitely by no means anything to write home about, but it wasn't an absolute dumpster fire either. I can still say there are a few qualities I like about it, but the end product didn't really correctly convey much of the idea I had. I'd very much like to and have been planning to remake it and see how far I've come since.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@SimProse This thread is for people's first game, not their first game using RPGMaker. Maybe the advert for Steam would be more appropriate in your game thread?

SimProse

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@SimProse This thread is for people's first game, not their first game using RPGMaker. Maybe the advert for Steam would be more appropriate in your game thread?
Ah, ok misunderstood.

My very first 'real' game was in 1985 using a Commodore 64. It was a dungeon crawler where you could get injured, sick, and you had to go through 100 randomly generated rooms of a dungeon to reach the exit. It was mostly text, but it had a lot of little detail to it (items could wear out, shields had different block chances). It won an award when I submitted it to a magazine contest (I was 14 at the time, and thrilled of course!)

rpgmakerxp

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Ms Littlefish I've no doubt you'll make the remake so much better! Good luck to you!

@SimProse That's pretty impressive actually. Both the fact that your first game earned you an accomplishment like that and that your actually got your first RPG maker game on steam since most people's first game is just a learning experience.

shadefoundry

Is Sinistar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My first game was an abomination made in Rm2k. It was more or less something like 12 different randomly generated maps that would appear in a random order, with randomly spawning enemies that had a randomly balanced difficulty curve. It was technically a rogue like with the only unique "feature" being you had 3 lives and kept any experience/items you picked up on the previous life. Except it didn't matter because I didn't understand balance, or good design so everything relied on RNG and it was kind of a mess at best.

It was entirely made of RTP assets back when you had to pirate rm2k to get an English copy of it and this monstrosity will forever remain on my hard drive, in a folder titled "sheep I've disowned" with every other terrible project I began working on and then scrapped months later because of a lack of having any cohesive idea of what I was doing/going to do in the game.

Moral of the story is to plot out the majority of your project ahead of time with detailed information on mechanics and such so you have an idea of what your doing before you start working.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
and this monstrosity will forever remain on my hard drive, in a folder titled "sheep I've disowned" with every other terrible project I began working on and then scrapped months later because of a lack of having any cohesive idea of what I was doing/going to do in the game..
Ha! I think I have a few word documents where I try to write up my story that should go there.

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
My first game was a clusterflock of bad design practices wrapped up in over-ambition. There were supposed to be five independent playable parties that you could bounce around between like Suikoden 3 or FF6 covering different angles of the war between two countries with a third more market-centric country caught in the crossfire. I made it to 68 maps/2.5 party prologues before realizing that I'd messed it up irredeemably with blended map styles (and characters, and icons and...everything) and features I didn't need and I had no plan for how to balance anything and just scrapped the thing. I still have it on a flashdrive somewhere, and my current game is actually loosely based off of ONE of the playable parties from the first game.

The first game I completed is really similar to @BrandedTales, a game I made with my oldest daughter for her and her siblings to play. It was about our youngest dog, doing silly dog things only in the game she was a detective/vigilante trying to protect her clueless people (us) from the evil plots of the nefarious barn cat and his army of squirrel spies.

shadefoundry

Is Sinistar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ha! I think I have a few word documents where I try to write up my story that should go there.
I have a folder just full of text files with descriptions of scrapped projects. The project I'm working on right now has an extremely in-depth text file with descriptions of all the areas, and every single major event through the game, as well as ideas and notes on how to keep the concept from getting stale. It's a bit text document.

bustedradio

sports anime trash
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
My first game was on VX Ace.

It was never finished, but I'm pretty surprised how far I got. There were roughly 10 maps. Over world, three towns, a dungeon, some shops and a handful of houses. I was most proud of my little port city. It was surrounded by water with nice little canals running through. Every shop and home there felt "lived in" without being too cluttered. I tried to place details where they would make sense to be.

I also learn a lot about eventing and I managed to set up an intro cut scene as well has two or three quests. As silly as it sounded, I was pretty happy with myself. This was my first time making a game, so just getting a simple quest set up and running felt good.

The story was pretty simple. You're a mercenary who works to provide for a small, but failing orphanage. He tires his best to find work, but jobs are drying up. News broke out that the Princess got kidnapped by a dragon and the King put out a bounty. Despite the dangers, the MC decides to pursue the bounty. One his way there he meets a strange wizard from a foreign land named Robin. Robin is a book hunter and there's a side quest to collect all the tomes he's looking for. Next you meet a botanist (no name) who was on the way to the location of the Princess, since the plants there are rare and only grow in that area. She only joins up if you give her a letter from her little brother. Your last team member is a knight (also no name) who you find as you climb the tower. He's the Princess's fiancee and is trying to recuse her. Then when you finally reach her, you find out that there is no dragon and the Princess was actually trying to run away from the knight. The knight is the final boss. You beat him and win the game whoo! If you helped Robin collect all his books, then he decides to stay and help you rebuild the orphanage and you both live happily ever after. If you don't collect all his books, then Robin goes back home.

Unfortunately my computer died, so I was never able to recover the game, but I had a lot of fun learning and making it.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first unfinished game was an abomination, supposed to become the typical 50+ hours of gameplay with 20 playable characters and a huge world, an epic story and hundreds of different sidequests kind of game. Needless to say, it was an utter failure in every aspect and never got completed.

My first finished game started out as merely a test project, where I would go to try out the program to learn how it worked, and from there, I eventually made it its own game. As a result of that history, it lacks quality consistency, with some parts feeling very rough around the edges, while the later parts are a lot more solid. For a first finished game, I think it's still pretty cool and it's a lot different than the average RPG Maker game. For one, because it has no combat at all, and instead has a unique mini-game for each new scenario. It even has three different story routes that all offer completely different content (dialogue, cutscenes, mini-games) that also influence the ending of the game.

Soul Tech

Time Traveler
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My first game finished, it was a pacman style game on rpg maker xp, I designed it to give it to my girlfriend (so cheesy it sounds). It was about a boy and a girl whose parents did not allow their romance, one day the mother of the girl, kidnaps the boyfriend, then the girl must go through some twelve levels gathering small hearts to rescue him. In the end she liked the game a lot. It's been years since we split up...and the unique copy of the game is left in her computer.:stare:

True history:)

Astfgl66

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I've been trying to make games since I was like 7 I think. If I remember correctly, my parents wouldn't let me play starcraft so I created a boardgame of sorts around the same concepts to play with my brother. We used legos I think.

I first toyed with RM2K at a friends house, but my first project was a legend of zelda fan game in rm2K3. I knew nothing about eventing and ended up spending most of the time creating the biggest spell animations I could.
It had about an hour of gameplay, complete with areas that barely connect with each other, sprites on map that don't translate in battle (the main protagonist had a link overworld sprite, but I could find no battler spritesheet for link so I ended up using shiek in battle IIRC), useless NPCs, random "secrets", ...

My first released game is a fangame of IWBTG, that you can probably still find online if you look for it in the IWBTG forums. I still play it from time to time.

My first released RM project was for the learning together game jam. You can look at the thread if you want, the post jam analysis is probably of more worth than the game itself.

I really enjoyed reading your first game stories, keep them coming guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

It's raining...in winter :")
I was stunned-STUNNED-to find that I have been working on my current project since November. It feels like so much less time than that.
Stream will be live shortly with some art! Going to do a recolor, then start on a new monster! Feel free to drop by!
I've been busy working on other projects this month so I haven't been able to do much towards finishing the prep work for my RPG, but I did brainstorm some interesting ideas for the game.
redrawing one of three my VNM protags

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucansan