Drummer Extraordinaire! xD
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
Other
Ehhhh-hehehehehehe....

Well, it involves Barbie and Ken dolls, a cheap scanner, and some....precarious swapping....

That and about 32 total hours of investment time.

Actually, scratch that. I was fifteen at the time and (I'll leave this part out).

My first well-developed game is a politics game, relax, it was a Trivial Pursuit game with all politics and religious-based questions.

I actually submitted this as my History project back in college and got a merit award because it got a ton of praise.

Technically, it's a standard Trivial Pursuit board with over six hundred questions all based upon political history and religious history; I wish I still had it but it was one of many things I lost when the previous apartment complex I lived in was gutted by fire.

If you live on oxygen, don't smoke, ever. I'd like to see a game that portrays the worst case scenarios of people's bad choices.

Harosata

Dramatic Lightning's BFF
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hm, my first exposure to RPG Maker was on PS1. It was a long time ago, so I don't remember much of the story. However, that did get me hooked on the RPG Makers on the computer.

My first attempt for the RPG Maker for the PC was either on 95 or 2000. All I recall for that is that in addition to about 4 characters, I also had two OP characters on a separate storyline like playing Laguna in FF8. I don't think I had much content after that part.

My first game that I put up for download is an alpha demo made with RPG Maker VX Ace: You try out a spider and you can web body parts that could all transform into a single cocoon, plus you needed to cocoon and defeat the last enemy to activate a switch and complete the game. I believe it was around that time that I actually began to mess around with the code instead of just downloading them, which seems to make me work more on RPG Maker.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
My Parasite Eve disc was scratched. So I decided to remake Parasite Eve on RPG Maker 2000.
Aya Brea's sprite was Alex with a 000 black dress slapped on, as well as pure yellow hair.
I made it until the hole Eve carves on the floor after the intro, that's where I quit.
LEL i still remember my "beautiful" pixel art freshly. I was... 10? 9?

rpgmakerxp

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Hudell Yeah, and you're still going with that type of game now and it's almost done huh? Good luck with it!

bokunoyuki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first game was a pen and paper solo RPG that also used playing cards. Instead of a timing-based mechanic in games like Paper Mario, actions were affected by how straight I could draw a line across a piece of paper. Rows of ticks were drawn on the paper. Drawing a straight line would result in hitting all of the ticks in a row. This could mean getting bonus damage in an attack or bonus health healed from a potion.

I made this game because I sucked at drawing straight lines

KKraze

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
My first "game" was on RPGMaker xp, I think. It was just a small fancy-looking space room with a few events that you could talk to. I remember one was a cat and there was a girl who had verrryyy long dialogue and branches of text. She was supposed to trigger some kind of hide and seek game but that didn't happen. Another was a monster that said something mean and then brought me to the game over screen. I just wanted everything to burn. There were three rooms connected to it and one was full of crystals or something and I forgot everything else because it was a while ago.

I forgot the whole program entirely until MV came out. Whoopsie. Relearning things is not fun.

Jessrond

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sorry to necro but I found this topic interesting.

My first game ever:
Mid-late90s, "klik n play" game which was this game maker from Maxis. It actually got a review (2/5) and a rejection notice from CNET. It was this weird shoot-em-up game with random levels that made no sense, like fighting clowns and poorly-drawn Tamagotchi imitations.

My first RPG Maker game:

A small game on two islands with people I knew from a forum (Utopia General Talk). It was probably too difficult and I ripped off Final Fantasy MIDIs and user-created FF rock instrument MIDIs for the music. I also believe I just used the generic stock characters and all their skills if I remember correctly. It was done on the Don Miguel illegal copy of RPG Maker 2000. The game consisted of the user being altered by a messenger that someone had been captured by another and to get our friends that had a boat and rescue her.

It can get unplayable because the miniboss is unforgiving and you get stuck in the main dungeon and can't backtrack because I forgot to make a warp. Also, most of the doors/openings require Action Button because I forgot to change it to Player Touch.

My most recent project:

"Cat Attack", a game where you start out as two cats and go on various adventures fighting dogs and mice. It switches abruptly between three or four parties and has taken dozens of hours of work for maybe 20-30 minutes of solid playtime. Still hoping to sell it for super cheap on Steam since I feel it's enjoyable.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
The first one I did was in VX, it was called "Magical Castle~Battle Knight". Pure RTP, nonexistant balance, typos everywhere, broken eventing. The game title hardly has any relation to the actual game, it was supposed to be "JRPG-like" from the viewpoint of someone who never played a JRPG. Anyway, you start off as Ralph in an unnamed town. You talk with your friend Joseph, and do a bunch of complaining about how you want adventure. He brings up a rumor about some magic crystals that are "powerful and kingdom ruling", and are supposedly on another continent where a famous battle known as the "Tri-Battle" was fought. You need to get permission to leave the village, so as you are wandering around you find an elf about to be sacrificed in one of the village houses. You free her from the clutches of her captor, and find some magic crystal pieces in a crack in the wall. You then go to clan leader, Master Chung, and ask him to let you leave and search for the "Six Crystals of Power" (You didn't know the name of the crystals before, but now you do for sake of exposition). After training with some of the village guard, he mentions you will be fighting the forces of Dragoth, who is some evil guy that wants to destroy the kingdom (The kingdom of what, you don't know).

He sends you to some place called the Wood Kingdom, with the main castle. On your way there, you can stop by a village full of random crap (There's a kid who's scared of a spider and wants you to kill it, a dragon statue comes to life and fights you twice in a row, and monster who is discriminated against and just wants to live in his house in peace). Inside the castle, you talk with the king and the elf conveniently speaks up, mentioning the fact that she is an elf and that's important. The king tells you to go to the Snow Kingdom in the south (You heard that right. Geography is no concern to magic kingdoms). The plot ends there as it was never finished. There is other stuff shoved in this castle, like a guy who lets you hire more party members, a skeleton called Diablo, and a blond haired guy called "The WoW-God" (see screenshot below). Both of them give you very difficult quests, sell overpowered and absurdly expensive gear, overuse the word "epic", and make all sorts of bad pop-culture references. The game basically separates from the established "lore" at this point, as this screenshot proves below.

On top of all this absurdity, there is a tower on the world map that if you go in, you can't leave. Diablo traps you in Hell, which looks a lot like an Inn but filled with skeletons and lava. Ralph's ordeal and the tower are directly referenced in another one of the games I am working on, which took the good ideas from Magical Castle~Battle Knight and made them into something much better and cohesive. No matter how bad a project is, you can still find pieces that can get used.

Last edited:

JojoLaVache

Easily distracted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oooooh boy. I know I started with RMVX, just as I and my sister started to be interested in Final Fantasy thanks to walkthroughs we bought, but I'm not sure if our very, very, veeeeery first game was. It was either:
  • An attempt to create a Final Fantasy crossover. With RTP. I thought Ralph looked like Cloud Strife. Not much was done, all I remember is FF6's Setzer is here as well. We picked characters depending on who has an RTP character who very vaguely looks like them.
  • A Super Smash Bros. RPG, based on our experience with Super Smash Bros Melee. It stars Fire Emblem's Roy (my sis' main), using Ralph's look, and Kirby (my main), portrayed by Ylva because she's pink. :yswt:
------
My most complete game in the past was "Eternal Zero" in RMVX, formerly "Eternal Moon" until I realized no moon plays a role in the story. It's supposed to be humorous, but I'm pretty much the only person finding it funny.

I used RTP and a handful of charsets/faces found on the net, plus Final Fantasy/Star Ocean music that don't loop. There were more than forty playable characters with one-note personalities (the dumb green-haired guy, not!Ulrika who swears more than Chuck Norris, a lesbian) if any (The main character is "Ralf", who's the careless everyman I guess? There's a character with a shirtless "face" named Reks whose characterization I forgot except one embarrassing scene described below.)

Story and features:
  • I was in the game as the all-knowing narrator. I used a much-derided VX face generator to make it.
  • There's a "karma system" where you lose points doing pretty much anything, and there are very few ways to gain positive points. It's meant to determinate Ralf's fate at the end, and if you got too many negative points, he ends up in hell. I was somewhat inspired by the Valkyrie Profile games smacking you if you completely fail at your job very early on.
  • One of the most point-penalizing instances has Reks sleeping with you. I need a facepalm emoji...
  • The second town has Papa Smurf with a 1x2 sprite. If you touch him, he'll complain you nearly squished him.
  • You chase two ineffectual bandits at the top of a pyramid.
  • I think they stole a little boy's toy or something?
  • When you talk to the boy again, he says "Here, take this!" and gives you a reward. I remember my sister being very confused, expecting the boy to punch Ralf instead.
  • There's a farm somewhere where you can go to the outdoors toilet and take a dump.
  • The farm has a trash bin, and looking at it gives you an instant Game Over (it was a bomb). It was a super unfair trap in hindsight because the player has no idea this leads to an instant Game Over and can't avoid it.
  • One of the later team members has "The future is Satan" as a description of his personality. What I meant is he hates technology for unknown reasons, but the way I wrote is nonsensical.
So yes, this was an extremely embarrassing project. I have no RMVX project left since I switched computers.

TSR

The Northern Frog
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First game I made was call 'Kempo Lo', 1996. It was a 2 players 2d fighting game programmed in Visual Basic with Paintbrush-made custom assets .
There wasn't any gauge bar, instead each hits made the opponent back off a bit. Goal of the game was to throw the opponent in one of the pit on both edge of the screen... A real Keyboard-Mashing game, but was popular amongs my friends.

*Also an honorable mention to all the pitiful and unsuccessful RGPs-attempts I made from that year to the mid-2000... :p

Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It was called Final Fantasy =<>= Ultimate Evil. You were part of a taskforce who were going to all go and kill the big bad guy, Sephire. You went underground, in an airship, and at some point turned into a train?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Royal Knights. RPGMaker XP
Basically it was a town map, complete with like 4 houses, a shop and an inn. 2 forest maps, a swamp map with a secret ancient ruin, another town with a residenal, market and castle area.

Basically the whole game was you as Kirrin Whitewhistle, travelling from her town, Greywood village, through the forest to Castletown, where she fought in an arena type setup in order to become a Royal Knight, and winning the game was a lovely scene where you pledge allegiance to the people of Thorntop in front of the King and become a Royal Knight.

One day I will go back and make that game again, properly. Because it was awesome, and was the game that really got me into RPGmaker. It felt like a prologue to a bigger game, but I might just go back and remake it into a shorter game that tells that one little story.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My first game was a dungeon crawler that mostly used unedited RTP graphics. You climb up 5 floors of the dungeon till you meet a final boss. The first form of this game was horrible. There was no dedicated boss on each floor that the boss was basically a normal encounter you will find in the later floor until a friend of mine criticized me hard. Not to mention, I used "more encounter per troop" to make up the difficulty.

I finished this game in 3 months and it looked like your daily "my first RPG Maker" game you would see around. However, I wanted to hide this fact so I revamped everything, adding another 3 months of 'remaster'. I edited the RTP graphics. Customize everything including the menu. Rebalanced the whole encounter, and finally actually released it to the public.

What is special about this game is this was my first attempt to make an actual game after my 4-5 years of exposure in RM while being my first finished game. Before this, I was mostly goofing around and never make anything serious.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
a super unfair trap in hindsight because the player has no idea this leads to an instant Game Over
I used my fair share of those as well, except they were mercifully marked as choices which were so obviously bad you should avoid them, like trying to stab your village's ruler for no reason, or defiling the king's throne. Good for a nice laugh if you choose them, though.

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It was... something else, I'll tell ya hwat. It only had one playable character, an angel lady with amnesia, that could pick from four classes. the hub map was literally just a map of earth remade into RPG Maker VX Ace blocks, and I planned to have every continent be its own level. Only got as far as fighting ghosts in Antarctica, the first planned level, before I gave up.

This was back before I discovered that the border tiles of an given map didn't keep the player centered if the player walked on them, so that was "fun."

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first game was a bullet hell shooter written in Flash with god-awful dialog, god-awful art, great music (because I didn't try to make that part) and overall, would've probably been a solid game had it not been for the two god-awful bits. In current projects, I...pay more attention to those two things so they don't fall short. ;)

Part of me wants to remake it in a non-****ty way, but I just don't have an interest in bullet hell games like I used to. Maybe someday it'll get an RMMV remake? Dunno, I have other projects I'm more interested in making, but so little time to do it all.

Conflictx3

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
my First Game is my Current MV game in its infancy, "Fallen Feather" for rpg maker 2k3

I was a middle schooler and i think i had just played some of FF12 and FF8 and i loved the series so much cuz of 7 i literally said to me friend "I want to make a dope RPG with the initials FF" maybe 3 days later i came up with the title "Fallen Feather" and i remembered playing the rpg maker 2000 game "Goku Jr." so i googled around for an RPG maker, to my surprise, back then in 2003, their was an oddly specific new verision of RM called 2k3 :oswt:

problem was all my first game HAD was a title, within 3 weeks it became a jumble of RTP and RIPS from other games. it was the story of an Angel Woman who entrusted a group of teens with powers to fight some unknown evil. However i distinctly remember spending WEEKS on an opening scene in a bar/tavern of some angel city where a drunk angel was making a fool of himself, the purpose of all this, i couldn't tell you.

TL;DR - basically my game ended up being cancelled as a captain planet/power rangers knock off with liquor abuse and i couldn't be prouder.

YoraeRasante

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok, my first game...

First, some context: it was 2000, I had just got internet, and in my country there were some "magazines" with a cd filled with games... indie and fangames, usually that you could get online for free, most of them using ripped assets.
Among them there were two that were much better than the others and my own language: one a pokémon platformer starring pikachu and you fought some of the ones he fought in the anime, like the team rocket ones. It wasn't that big a deal nowadays, but at the time it kinda blew my mind.
The other was an eagle-eye view fighting game starring dragon ball z characters. two players could play too.
They were made by a guy nicknamed MisterMind, on a site called CasaDosJogos. Visiting there there were many more games, including a weird one I later learned was an rpg named "Dragon Ball: A Vingança da Rasca Tsufurujin" (Revenge of the Tsufurujin Rasce. yes, it is written wrong in my language too). I did not get it at the time, but it was starring the son of Baby from GT stealing Trunks' time machine to save his father and they kill all saiyans. It was... different fighting against Goku and the others. This game will be important in the future, but first the site.
There, there were some links to some tools to create games yourself too. A "trial", I had no idea what that meant, of Multimedia Fusion 2, and an RPG Maker.

So my first game was made using that Multimedia Fusion 2 trial. It was a platformer with one of the default asset space-looking people climbing platforms to fight a spaceship at the top. Enemies included some I made using the Dragon Ball game.
Didn't do much worthy, and the trial ended. And I learned what a trial meant.

So I downloaded RPG Maker 2000, the Don Miguel translation. I... had no idea how it worked, and wasn't good enough in english to read the manual properly, so I just drew over the assets of the dragon ball game (poorly) in paint and gave some a black wolf helmet. Red eyes for the main character, yellow for the mentor that was actually his dog.
First map the dog mentor tells you to train and defeat him. There is a field for you to fight slimes until you reach level 5, or so I expected, and next map you are at a separate place of the main map to fight him, who has the same stats as he would have as a level 5 and after you win he summons the boat for you to go to the next island and joins the party... at level 5, so you know where I got the stats from.
Next island there is the rival of the main character. The charset is the main character with colors inverted in photoshop. To go forward I opened the DB fangame and learned to show a kamehameha animation and how switches work. No thought of using them in the areas before then, of course.
Next area is a "labyrinth", obstacles making a spiral path until the middle of the map with Death waiting. Talking to it, it wants you to reach level 50 so he gives you an upgrade to turn you blue and... basically I am copying the DB game's super forms, since rm2k does not have classes I just changed the main character for one with the 1st level having the same stats as his 50 (the max level on it).
And thus ends the "demo". I have no idea either. I know I tried to find somewhere to upload this until I finished my "full game". Maybe even found somewhere and forgot.
on the actual game, next you are sent to hogwarts, because harry potter was new and everyone was liking it, and I just read the four books at the time in one weekend. herbology class you go through a labyrinth to receive some of the default database mp-healing apples, you needed five but nothing stopped you getting more. The teacher put the number of apples in a variable and if the number was 5 or more you advanced, thus I know I learned a bit about variables then. Then the Yule ball, because Harry Potter, and a villain attacks using the rtp witch battler and charset. She was the sister or inverted-colors guy from before, and after defeat takes you to the final dungeon where you learn to fly and that your goal is to fight your dark side to rescue the game's creator.
This was finished but never uploaded, and is currently lost forever I think.

So yeah, that game was terrible... but doing it taught me a lot. All thanks to the DB fangame for me to see the code and learn from.

ItsAri

That one Weeb
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mine was about a few years ago, around a year when MV first came out.
Ah yes, the default plot of default plots. It was basically me and all of my friends going on a crazy adventure and doing the classic "save the world thing". It was a time I didn't even know plugins, let alone the forum website existed. It was fun an all, but I'm remaking it currently.
And tbh, the difference is striking. :kaoswt2:
2016:
BeforeTitle Screen.PNG

2019-20:
AfterTitle Screen.PNG

Alador

The Mage of Mythix
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first RPG Maker game was this terrible side-scroller that changed into a classic RPG view after the first map. Then I had a bunch of dragons guarding a portal that led to another map with more portal-guarding dragons. It went on like that for a while, before I stopped working on it. I don't even know what my first video game ever was, because it was so far back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Apparently my brain took a holiday today, so far I've stared blankly at the maker for 3 hours. Duuuuuuuuh.
*Violent ball of 80's TV electricity* "Oww!! Stupid @ImaginaryVillain and his plugin, he didn't say time travel hurts! And why am I naked??"
It was at 3am Pacific May 25 that Skynet was created. And it came in the form of a messenger plugin so powerful it now runs my randomizer and does it better than the randomizer itself did. What have I created? :kaoback:
Found out someone took one of my artist's commissions, edited it and claimed it as their own. Called them out on Twitter, got blocked. Not sure whether to feel irritated or honored.
Im so glad that im into 16/32bit games because i'd never be able to create any assets for something more complex :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allisnone