Slimsy Platypus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I'm working through some early design ideas on how I can make a couple different healing classes feel different from each other.  For starters I'm thinking:

A standard healer.  Heals for a flat amount.  Run of the mill stuff here.

A healer that provides healing over time effects on allies and damage over time effects on enemies.  Possibly can "consume" a heal over time for a burst heal.

A "healer" that instead provides "barriers" that prevent damage.  Could be a single turn large barrier or smaller weaker barriers that last longer.

What are your thoughts?  Any different ideas?

Edit: argh auto correct

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How about a healer that transfers wounds to himself, but has a high regeneration and all healing skills work only on himself, nothing but the HP transfer works on others.

Or a medic instead of a healer - very effective wound handling, but only outside battle as it needs more time to treat a wound than casting a healing spell

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How about something more necromantic? But to make it work you'd need death to be something that can be removed only with spells and potions.

• He'd reanimate fallen allies instead of reviving them for a few turns, you could justify the amount of health healed on this case and give bonus HP wile they are reanimated.
  • Use plagues to deal damage and debuffs, he'd have many debuffs and a skill that deals bonus damamge based on the amount of debuffs an enemy has.
  • His few real healing spells heals a small amount on each turn as if it's an accelerated regeneration.

shockra

Slightly Crazy Programmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What about a soulstealer type healer?  Certain effects used against enemies grant souls to the healer.  Then the healer can consume souls to create powerful healing effects.  It takes a turn or two to start getting souls, but once they have them, the healing effects are very powerful.

Programming this could be a challenge, however.  You'll need something like a variable attached to the healer that stores the souls, and it should probably reset to 0 after each battle.  But it could prove interesting if you're up to the challenge.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
One further variation which I used in one of my games was a healer who used HP taken from a hit on the enemy (think vampire-type skills) but unlike the default skill which only heals the caster, the HP is shared with the whole party.  The upside is that healing the party does not prevent a turn damaging the enemy, the downside is that it can only be used in battle.  Outside battle requires an item.  Needs careful balancing, but made (imo) for a refreshing change.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here's a couple ideas:

-One healer could focus on improving the party's REC rate. This would mean that they would not heal directly, but would make all healing applied to the party more powerful. Could also give them spells which lower enemy REC rates as well (which could be a counter to enemy healing).

-One healer could focus on boosting your max HP/lowering enemy HP. Could combine this with a one turn regen to give you the HP of the boost at the end of the turn.

-One healer could make barriers and heal at the same time. I know with Yanfly's Absorption barrier script this can be done easily. Make the skill heal HP, and add a barrier. Though, be sure to balance it against the regular healer (like maybe having the healing be at 50% what a healer usually heals).

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'll probably come back to this topic with more thoughts and ideas, but for now I just wanted to point you over to Guild Wars 1's list of Monk skills (you can sort by Attribute for a better sense of how the "classes" are separated).  There are a lot of creative skill ideas in this game, and I think the design really shines when you look at all the different situational healing, shielding, and other ally benefits that healers can provide their team besides the bread-and-butter basic heal spell(s).  The Ritualist and Necromancer classes also have some healing capabilities, so it's worth checking those out too.

Slimsy Platypus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
What about a soulstealer type healer?  Certain effects used against enemies grant souls to the healer.  Then the healer can consume souls to create powerful healing effects.  It takes a turn or two to start getting souls, but once they have them, the healing effects are very powerful.

Programming this could be a challenge, however.  You'll need something like a variable attached to the healer that stores the souls, and it should probably reset to 0 after each battle.  But it could prove interesting if you're up to the challenge.

This is a great idea.  I think it can all be done in the constraints of Yanfly's action sequences already.  This allows you to flick switches, change variables, and adjust states however you want within skills.  quickly in my head, I can think of ways to implement "souls" with each of those.

There's also lots of design space to play with that idea as well. Could be holy charges (think WoW Paladin), "souls" like you have mentioned,  or any other thematic "charges".  

Thinking on the design space of the effects: you could simply make more charges more powerful, but you could also change the number of targets or the skill all together.

Example 1: one charge heals one random ally, two charges two, etc.

Example 2: one charge is a heal, two charges is a heal and a barrier, three charges is a heal, a barrier, and a regen effect.

I've got to think on this more, but this is definately an area with a ton of interesting space to play in!

HeathRiley

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I think your first three ideas are pretty spot on for core different healers. Even ffxiv has mega heal/hot vs shielding as their current two healer tropes.

A few others. 

-low damage attacks that need to be performed to cast heals.

-drain spells that heal part members.

-andar mentioned a healer that has recovery and takes wound for party members, I liked that.

-I also liked bigillsp suggestion of max hp manipulation.

-the tried and true item user, better effects from items, item combining, able to attack and use an item on same turn for strategic use.

-heals attached to buffs

-reactive healing, when hit hp is recovered

Or combinations of those for personality.

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The Prince(ss)/ Sovereign class from Etrian Odyssey has some nice examples of healing. They're passive healers that require certain conditions. For example a really nice one is that all party members recovery HP passively if the Prince has full HP on that turn. Another is heals being attached to buffs like @HeathRiley mentioned, however when said buff wears off, the ally is healed again. It's a really fun concept to play with.

LightningLord2

Psionic Bird Thrower
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
This is actually something I'm still working on in my RPG. So far, I have three notable heals in the game, planning to do more.

-A heal that scales off of missing MP (which is the general gimmick for all of the character's skills). Provides a Regen buff if used on a target with full HP.

-A heal from a weak healer (aka low Spirit to heal with) that buffs recovery along with granting an instant self-heal while the buff lasts, consuming it.

-A shield that blocks 25% damage of the next hit, breaking and healing the target when doing so.

JayTheDaniels

Full-Time Nerd
Reaction score
First Language
Canadian
Primarily Uses
Coming from World of Warcraft, one very interesting type of healer there actually heals by doing damage. Properly balancing this could be a bit problematic, but having them do light damage through attacks that heal a party member or the entire group for a percentage of the damage dealt could allow for passive healing over the course of a fight as opposed to having a character specifically used for healing.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I can't speak for what JayTheDaniels had in mind, but in my case it wasn't.  I think if one is choosing to approach a function in a different way, then it can be beneficial to break out of the standard classes.

JayTheDaniels

Full-Time Nerd
Reaction score
First Language
Canadian
Primarily Uses
In my case, it's actually a playstyle for the monk class. They're removing it from the game now, but when it was around and viable it was a fun spec for people who wanted a different kind of healer :D

primeless

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish.
Primarily Uses
I'm working through some early design ideas on how I can make a couple different healing classes feel different from each other.  For starters I'm thinking:

A healer that provides healing over time effects on allies and damage over time effects on enemies.  Possibly can "consume" a heal over time for a burst heal.

A "healer" that instead provides "barriers" that prevent damage.  Could be a single turn large barrier or smaller weaker barriers that last longer.

I think that, if you think in terms of "support" instead of "healer" you will see more options by yourself: from direct healing to buff/debuff, barrier manages or croud control effects. 

You can even have a support who heal or buff/debuff expending its own HP, and then he can steal HP from enemies.

You can add a "support" who consumes HP (or other resources) from his/her own allies, in exchange for brutal temporal habilities, buffs or whatever.

even it can be a nice idea to add a "support" Necromance style, so when his own companions are weak, he becomes stronger.

coyotecraft

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
In Legend of Dragoon, Rose wasn't really a healer but she could use "Astral Drain" on one target and distribute the damage as health to the rest of party. 

It lost it's effectiveness later in the game once Party-Heal items were available. 

InBlast

The Mad Hamster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
In my game, my healer is a sort of plague mage, using dots and life leech to deal damages and healing himself, and using his own HP to heal. (for example, losing 30% HP to redistribute it to the other members)

eadgear

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses

in my view:

1st healer - plain healing

2nd healer - buff/debuff healing

3rd healer - non-healer

I can't call the 3rd one as healer since it doesn't heal anyone. Most of the player will choose the 1st healer, they prefer instant heal than buff healing. Imagine my life is 10 why would I choose buff healing? the use of the buff healing is in early game but as game goes monsters damage you almost half of your life, so a buff healing doesn't appealing to think. Because of that, only the first healer will be recognized. If you want to divide classes, the first thing to do to make every classes useful.

There are lots of type of healer (imagine a pure healer that can't fight at all and imagine they can all heal all types of status from damage, status to dead)

AOE healer/Party healer- can only heal within a covered area or the whole party

Single-person healer- can only heal a single person at a time

Range healer- can heal from very far distance (imagine an archer shooting in far distance, people love their healer as far as possible in their enemies)

Item-user healer- don't have any mana at all, usually uses item to heal but with additional points since it is his class.

Drain healer- take someones life and put it to others. Can transfer status like poison and paralyze.

Sacrificial healer- healing someone in trade of his own life.

Crazy healer- healing someone in trade of that's someone's mp.

For you to think more types of healer, just replace "damage" to "heal" from lots of attack out there.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@eadgear Please do not quote whole posts, it makes it slow to scroll down the page.  In order to make it clear who you are replying to, simply use the convention @username as I have done on this post.

Thanks.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've started working on rpg maker again, and I can see a lot of improvement from when I was 13. I still have a long way to go, but I'm proud that I've gotten this far.
Animated Title screen is by SharkerrBlue(SB)
I am using the Nightmare Land pack.
I just can't walk to the store for lunch without walking past people smoking. It not only smells bad, it's probably poisoning me. I'm afraid I'll eventually have to be hospitalized. I can't take another path because there's too much traffic and drivers in the plaza are reckless sometimes. I almost got run over once, even after looking both ways.
RyanYe wrote on whtdragon's profile.
Your art works about Wyrvens and Dragons are sooooooooo cooooooooool~! I like them so bad
Can you create more? like Archangels, Devils, Titans, Cyclops!!
My valentine cutscene is now available on itch.io and you can get the "source code" as well, feel free to check it out!

The game page on itch can be found at:
A self-aware gamer, playing my game on video, and being honest about his feelings: :kaojoy:

It gets funny, there's heart, and his laptop is on fire as he plays. :kaoswt2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feedtalefour