Designer/Developer looking for a team

Discussion in 'Project Recruitment' started by Helladen, Jul 13, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Helladen

Helladen Deviant Designer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Currently not looking for anymore work.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012
    ShinGamix likes this.
  2. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I will approve this but you have 48 hours to read the Tagging Guide and modify your topic. Please follow the keywords exactly, especially the first BOLDED part about the first tag as prefix. Thank you.

3. Reynard Frost

Reynard Frost Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    Honestly the best way to learn is to just start working on something. Working in a team is nice, but instead of waiting while looking for a team that doesn't exist, your time would be better spent continuing to make and finish projects on your own. They don't have to be amazing or even that good, the process of just creating and finishing something will teach a great deal on its own. Not to say you shouldn't look (or form a team) but while you look go ahead and work on something on your own. If you do happen to find a team that is looking for people however, don't hesitate to sign up.

4. Pixel Brady

Pixel Brady Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'd agree with Reynard; just get working on projects at all, they don't need to be good. I do this with working on crappy mini projects that have an hour playtime and are buggy as hell. They're not real games, but they get you the feel of working a full (if small) project and learning about it, getting more. I don't know about you, but I, at least, feel like this is constructive.

If you're after getting into full projects though, I'm working on two projects that could use some people.

Primarily, Colonist. I've already got a few people excited about this and putting work into it and it's coming along smoothly so far, but I can't commit all my time to it due to my main project (below) so could always use more people. There's a lot more built up than in the demo right now, I've just not wrapped it all up into a demo quite yet.

It's a non-combat exploration game, but a lot of people seem anxious to get it built into something real and finished, and the goals and aims for it and nice and open-ended; it's a great project for teamwork.

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/2787-need-more-recruits-for-colonist-vxa/

DotI is a bit tricky, as it's close to a personal project, I have fairly specific plans far ahead for it and want things done a certain way so think I'd be an unhelpful team member for this project, but that doesn't mean I can't use help here and there.

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/2455-dance-of-the-immortals-abs-chp1-re-release/

Of course, there's more options out there and, as Reynard said, you've got your own potential projects to worry about, I'm just showing you a couple of options that you can get involved in.

Either way, have fun and keep learning! :)

5. Helladen

First Language:
    English
    I updated topic slightly.

I've never felt VX tiles offered much to improve mapping, because it is so much automated behavior with the tiles, and it just feels blocky/ugly. I'm kind of looking to work on projects that are trying new things, not just the same-old routine.

Thanks for the tips though. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2012
  6. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Make your own game. Try to make it good and complete it. That will teach you a lot of things.

7. Helladen

First Language:
    English
    I've completed a few projects over the years, but it is a lot of work to make a high-quality product on your own. I believe you learn more working with people better than you in the given areas you lack at.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2012
  8. Reynard Frost

Reynard Frost Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    Yeah we're not saying don't look for a team, we're saying work on more small projects while you also look for a team. You're not going to make anything high quality even with a team. And you should focus less on doing something "innovative" and focus more on doing something "Fun". We're making games after all. :D

9. Helladen

First Language:
    English
    Not really innovative, more along the lines of engaging and interesting.

I've been using RPG Maker since 2000, and tons of smaller projects with tons of unfinished things. Trust me, I am practicing alone, have been for a very long time, and never have experienced a solid team to work on a project with.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2012
  10. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Helladen edited away the original message so I edited my response away too.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2012