Designing a new tool

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by vindaca, Mar 1, 2014.

?

Does a tool like this sound useful?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
    Tags:
  1. vindaca

vindaca CEO of Tales of the Valiant Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hello everyone, this post is more so to help raise awareness and get some feed back. So I'm working on a new tool for DM's and RPG Developers called the "RPG Randomizing Tool". It is designed to ease the creative flow and help shorten the amount of time it takes to make your game. As of v0.1 this program generates quests and characters base on popular RPG templates. This program is still in the Beta stages and is almost ready for testing. It will be available for download via my website in a few days. Hopefully I will be kickstarting it soon so that I can spend more time on creating the Alpha product. In later versions I plan to add more generators such as,  Rewards, Enemies, Maps and more. Please feel free to leave any suggestions and/or comments below. Thank you all for your time and feedback.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*Beta Version Update

Hello again everyone a few changes have been made in v0.2 I have added race and gender features for the character generator. I have also added a Dice Generator to allow you to roll a d2, d3, d4, d6, d10, d12, d20, and/or a d100. (Just in case you didn't bring yours to work!)  And last but not least it is now available for testing. Yay, here's a link.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014
  2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, I could use some help generating quests and characters, but not if they're "based on popular RPG templates". We're just going to see the same quests and characters turning up all over the place, with some twists here and there to individualize them, and people can already do that without a program helping them. :)

3. vindaca

First Language:
    English
    "people can already do that without a program helping them"~

Thank you Shaz and yes I agree this is just to help(a tool).

[​IMG]

Here is an example of the quest generator. It is only meant to be a very brief description of the quest to help give you an idea of what to create. It is meant to be more of a guide rather then just doing it for you. And the library is already pretty big(and still growing) so it will be hard to see a repeat.

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Could be interesting.

I'd like to see it and have a play with it before I parted with any money though - or at least see a couple dozen samples to see how well the quest/settings/challenges hang together and that they're not just totally random. How inventive it is would then determine how much I'd be willing to spend :)

vindaca likes this.
  5. vindaca

First Language:
    English
    "How inventive it is would then determine how much I'd be willing to spend"~

Fair enough. I will PM a link to what I have done so far.

6. ShadowFox

ShadowFox Adventurer Member

First Language:
    English
    I'd be interested in this as it'd really help flush out some of the quests for my own project

vindaca likes this.
  7. vindaca

First Language:
    English
    Well I gave it a few more updates. v0.2 now has a dice generator and a race feature for the characters. I also added some more to the vocab library. The dice generator allows you to roll a d2, d3, d4, d6, d10, d12, d20, and/or a d100.

Here's an updated shot of the main menu.
    [​IMG]

8. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Now if we can build our own templates, and possibly share them, then we can have a repository of templates to work with.

9. vindaca

First Language:
    English
    Can you elaborate?

"Now if we can build our own templates,"~

Do you mean like you choose what options it shows. (ie names races levels ect.)

I was planning on releasing the Alpha as an unlocked program so that you can manipulate it and the library as needed or desired.

10. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I think it means being able to make our own template that the tool can read so that people can share their ideas...

11. vindaca

First Language:
    English
    meaning like... using excel or something to build the template?

ps This is a little off topic and not the purpose of this post but, if anyone is interested in working on this project let me know. Pay would be by commission  (unless requested otherwise) for graphics and/or programming.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2014
  12. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    probably... depending on what your tool uses/can read. what language are you making this anyway?

13. vindaca

First Language:
    English
    Ruby I'm not really sure if I want to write it something else as of yet.

Edit~

I was even thinking of maybe implementing a way to import some of the things into RPG Maker (Ace only sorry guys) like the characters enemies and maybe maps too. (I would need help on that though)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2014