Cookie Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Englist
Primarily Uses
N/A
DESTINY OF A WIZARD
Hello everyone I'm new to these forums and I ran into them while I was working deep on my very first game project:  "Destiny of a Wizard".  This was idea in my head for many years, even as a kid.  I've tried various game programs in the past, but none of them really ever clicked.  When I ran into a Steam special sale of RPG MAKER VX ACE, I figured why not give it a try.  Now about 150 hours later (and still working on it), I'm finally making my game project and I would like to share what I have up to this point in the project.  Those who give feed back will certainly be in the game's ending credits.
 ​
 ​
Story:

Since the dawn of time, the power of the Blue Wizards
has been known to all folk.  Life was peaceful for many
years until an evil being known as Darklin
came into the realm of the Vale Islands
This was known as the "Darkest Hour".
Many perished...men...women...and childern.
The battle between the powerful Blue Wizards and the
force known as Darklin waged on
for many, many years.  Until finally, the Wizards
drove off Darklin and he was banished to
another realm.
Even though he was defeated, he was not dead.
The Wizards sealed him away.  The only way he could
be brought back is by sacrificing a Wizard.  By
sacrificing a Wizard, their power could be used to
release the powers of darkness.
This would break the seal that binds Darklin.
Knowing this knowledge, the Wizards decided to shut
themselves away from everyone.
They decided to live in secret so that no
force, good or evil, can know where the
descendants of the Wizards lived.
Our story begins here, where the Wizards
reside in peace and in secret....
Features:
* An RPG featuring five full length chapters in a style similar to the game "Dragon's Quest IV".

* Combat & Message system featuring Yanfly's Scripts.

* Specialize tile sets for the third chapter featuring an underwater theme by FBU.

* A single player character challenge similar to that of games like "Dragon Warrior" (that and I also wanted to keep it simple seeing it's my first project).

* Tid bits and references/parodies to references such as Zelda, Skyrim, and the like.

* Goof ball humor to that similar to Earthbound/Mother 3.

* Journey through the Islands of the Vale as the main hero, a silent protagonist, as he/she travels the islands to seek out the four elemental crystals to unlock their true potential!

* Stop the coming of evil and ultimately defeat the "Dark Mistress"!

* Find out who the Dark Mistress really is and why she has such a "Kefka" complex!

* Not seen often in other RPG Maker platforms, DoW will have voice overs for various characters!

* Extra bonus content upon completing the game such as:  commentary, bloopers from voice acting, and sixth bonus chapter to explore!

​
Planned Features:
* An option to allow the player to play as a female (this will be in the final version of the game)

* A bonus sixth chapter after completing the game, can you seek out and defeat the entity that denies entertainment from video games?

Current Progress:
The game is in now in alpha demo phase and is completely playable from the Prologue to the end of Chapter One.  It is here is the game's main premise and were feedback is very well welcomed.  You can download the alpha demo at this location (reupload rar format)  http://www.4shared.com/rar/lyLW9qZs/DOW_Demo.html

Current Development:
Afterwards the following has to be implented (in order):

*The ending sequences such as the credit roll and final cutscenes. (COMPLETED)

*Dialogs for Chapters 2 through 4 (COMPLETED)
*Monster Implementation for Chapters 2 through 5 (COMPLETED)
*Items (treasure chests,shopping, and key items) will be next.(COMPLETED)
*Afterwards, the additional bonus content chapter will be implemented. (COMPLETED)

*Voice dialog for narration and certain key characters (COMPLETED)

*Mapping refinements (COMPLETED)

*Female option: (COMPLETED)

*Option to have Voice overs on or off:  (COMPLETED)

EVERYTHING COMPLETED!  I am having friends beta test it out to see if there is anything I missed.  Stay tuned for a release date very shortly!  I will post screenshots later this week of the new refined game.  I am looking forward to sharing this with everyone very soon!  :)

Screenshots & Previews:
You can view the screen shots below to see a feel of the game.  I have also uploaded two videos of the game itself: The introduction and a general playthrough of a section of the game through the Thieves Guild (though word of warning for the second video this IS a spoiler alert).  Thanks for viewing and I hope you will enjoy my game.  I look forward to your feed back and such!

Video Preview (Introduction): http://youtu.be/p6Gkm-vjSc8

Video Preview (Game play - Caution spoiler alert-): http://youtu.be/chl5CO2gmvI

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultimacj

Cookie Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Englist
Primarily Uses
N/A
Here are three new screenshots posted from the game itself.  Any current progress that I'm on will be edited in my OP

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Your story looks quite interesting so far, but I'm having trouble getting past your mapping...you might want to focus time on making the maps cohesive.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your story looks quite interesting so far, but I'm having trouble getting past your mapping...you might want to focus time on making the maps cohesive.
Yes this.  In your screenshots, there are many issues with your mapping - using "ceiling" tiles as walls, stair tiles as floors, the columns in the first picture in the second post do not have the transparency set properly...

Also, I was curious enough to try to download the demo, but I couldn't tell if I was actually downloading the demo or some site's software.  Since it is not a clear download, I won't put it on my computer.

The story sounds good, I'd really like to give this game a chance.

Ultimacj

Cookie Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Englist
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yes this.  In your screenshots, there are many issues with your mapping - using "ceiling" tiles as walls, stair tiles as floors, the columns in the first picture in the second post do not have the transparency set properly...

Also, I was curious enough to try to download the demo, but I couldn't tell if I was actually downloading the demo or some site's software.  Since it is not a clear download, I won't put it on my computer.

The story sounds good, I'd really like to give this game a chance.
I'm using the default tiles (Tile Set A for ground) for the majority of the maps, I'd assume the walls which pretty much look like whiles since they give a shadow effect on the edges.  I use the ceiling tile part of the wall tile respectfully.  Theres only one area section that I use a custom tile set for and that's the Water Temple area which might be off here and there I'm still working on details.  Please watch the game play video as the character explores one of the first dungeons though this might not be the best example for walls as the majority of walls are crates and rocks.

As for the download, I'll reupload on 4shared as a rar format file that way it doesn't appear to be an executable til you extract it.  I didn't think about that when I complied the game up (was too excited to get it out and get opinions).  The demo comes with the two fonts you'll need to manually install like any old font if you do not have them installed.  If you don't want to install them from the game itself, you can download the fonts from the sources I got them from.  The demo will this information in them when you start up a new game.

I appericate your input!

Please check the OP for the update of the site link to download.  Thanks  --Edit:  The new link is in the OP for the game demo download.

UltimaCJ

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I realize that you are using the default tiles, but you are using them improperly. 

In the editor, the wall/ceiling tiles are essentially put together in pairs. 

UltimateJC2.png

See the tiles highlighted?  For each two tiles, the top one is the "ceiling" and the bottom one is the wall that goes with it. 

I've redone your throne room, simply using coordinating wall/ceiling tiles.  See how much more depth it has?

UltimateJC1.png

Ultimacj

Cookie Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Englist
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah ok I see what you mean thanks! I'll see what I can do.  I used the bridge floor (not associated with any wall and picked a wall to blend in with it), so that particular combonation isn't an exact wall/floor match.  The floor just looked nicer.  Maybe I should change the wall format, I really like the floor lol

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not 100% sure you are getting what I'm saying.  To clarify, the tiles I highlighted above are not wall/floor combinations.  Of each pair, the tile on the bottom is the wall itself.  The top tile is the top of the wall, like what you would see if you cut off the roof of a building.  One more illustration, I did the map again, using the exact tiles you used.  I also highlighted them.  I'm sorry if 'm wrong and you perfectly got what I was saying.

Ultimate3.png

Ultimacj

Cookie Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Englist
Primarily Uses
N/A
Let me fiddle with some things and do some re-editting.  I'll upload a couple of more screen shots down the road.  I appericate the input.  While it might look "off" I've been testing the maps nothing is confusing wise transfering from one map to the next.  I'll do some more editing.

Thanks again :)

Ultimacj

Cookie Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Englist
Primarily Uses
N/A
Here are some more screenshots for your taste buds (as well as some refinement to the original map design - not in the demo so you can spot out the differences, will be in the final product)

A: Area part of the Mayors House / Throne Room Picture

B:  Intro Village Refinement Map vs the Demo

C:  In a town area

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really think you need to read some tutorials on mapping.  Look through the map & screenshot threads and read the comments to see what is considered good and what is not.  http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/12266-game-map-screenshots-3/   Also, when I was struggling to get the hang of good mapping at first, I would take a screenshot of good maps and then replicate them.  It gave me a much better feel for how they are put together. 

Just a few things about you latest screenshots, and then I'm going to be done. 

Ultimate4.png

You have mirrors on floor tiles, giving the appearance that they are lying on the floor; you have a random bookcase in the middle of the room - have you ever seen a room in real life laid out like that?; your stairs dead end into a wall; you have a wall plaque lying on the floor; why are there two different tiny rugs next to each other? 

Ultimate5.png

Is this the king's bed chamber or a throne room? The purpose is unclear. The flags are lying on the floor.  Why is there all that space behind the chairs?  Also, why all the stairs in the floor?  When I see those, I think of them leading to basements or secret lairs or something.  Most stairs start with a doorway.  I realize rtp doesn't have that, so I would just put a doorway there (there are the black spaces on sheet B I think), that would work great, and then you can show the bottom of the stairs with the stair set.

Anyway, I'm not trying to bash, just trying to help you see the issues with your map.  Because no matter how great the game play, people are not going to take your game seriously if it doesn't look good.

Ultimacj

Cookie Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Englist
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah just realized the mirror part and forgot to put the walls up and fix THAT was an accident :(

As for the flags on the walls I only did a bit editing and still need to put finishing touches that screen shot was just making sure I had the walls right for the Mayors Mansion.  The space design for the chairs is intentional as a specfic cutscene kicks in on this area I suppose I could fill the area with walls; those little things I never notice unless they really stand out (heck I'm like that with games I play) 

The majority of my stairs though (the screenshots below are one of the few instances they're not the Water Temple Dungeon uses these a lot) are accessed through a corner, similar to the classic style of the NES Dragon Warrior series, if you haven't played these series please look these up as I'm trying to follow that similar style 

Same thing with bookcases since I am not going for a realism effect; I'm following an older school format.  I'm new to RPG Maker still, I've played one homebrew game that had a  similar format but was rather random with a lot of things not revelant to the game. 

I appericate your input it really helps and anyone elses, though I know everyone has their own sense of style when it comes to games.  My game is still not yet completed, when it's 100% playable (other than the demo --new link btw) before a final version is completed I'm going to re-evaulate all my maps because there's quite a bit of detail yet to be hashed out  as I am just getting the ground layout first complete.

Attention to final details (such as maps and grammar corrections with Dialog - having a friend helping me with that as I go even I don't spot everything even after playing the scene 8 or 9 times lol)

Thanks again for the input, it helps me out.

Ultimacj

Cookie Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Englist
Primarily Uses
N/A
Refinement map version 2.

Other maps will follow as soon as I get the remaining dialog, monsters, and such finished.

Before: 

Ultimacj

Cookie Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Englist
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've uploaded a new trailer to the game with a voice over feature for the introduction.  I'm still getting other voice-overs finished.

Afterwards there is just map refinements (working HARD on that) for various areas and sound/music adjustments.

I am hoping to have this project finished in late January.  I've had several folks tell me to push the game in a commercial direction being my first project and length of the game,  (Est time to finish game is about 30 hours but I will be doing some play testing to seen actual time) but I haven't decided yet.

Here is a preview video #2 of the introduction with voice overs that my awesome talented Uncle did.  Any comments are welcomed and appreciated.

PREVIEW #2 WITH VOICE OVERS!:

Goatrider

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The story seems decent enough, and the voice acting is a nice touch... But the mapping..... It's confusing to say the least. I see afew people have brought this up already. Different water tiles running in together, random tiles used as walls or ceilings, it just looks completely off. I really think you need to take some time to work on how tiles are used and get your mapping skills up. Do this, and you could have a pretty decent game. Good luck with it all.

Ultimacj

Cookie Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Englist
Primarily Uses
N/A
Map refinement is the last section I'm doing as some of it was rushed to get the whole project together.  As you can see from the preview page of the Mayors house of the first village I've done this with before and after pictures.  Most of the maps are coherent and some are not and I plan to go back and re polish them all.  Once that's finish, a few friends are going to play test it and tell me what they think of the maps layout.

Thanks for your input Goatrider :)

Ultimacj

Cookie Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Englist
Primarily Uses
N/A
I maybe looking for beta testers very soon and I will have updated screenshots of some of the map refinements.  If you're interested/have any questions, please drop me a line.  I estimate to finish the project near or end of Feb.

Ultimacj

Cookie Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Englist
Primarily Uses
N/A
The game is completed and several friends of mine are beta testing the game project.  Once (if any) other issues are present they will be fixed.  The commercial version will feature special sound tracks from RPG license tracks such as the Cinematic Soundtrack, DS Resource track, Adventurers Journey.

After approval from websites I've seen, the Demo of the game will consist of the prologue as well as the first half of the first chapter.  This roughly should take about 2 to 3 hours.  The games estimated total time will run about 25-40 hours.  The game will also include a full 27 page instruction booklet in a Doc/PDF format for players reference!

Here are some screenshots (refined) of the final product:

>BATTLE SYSTEM SCREENSHOTS<

(From the instruction manual Disregard the "1" and "2")

>VARIOUS LOCATIONS/MAPS<

​
>FINAL REVISED TITLE SCREEN<

>FINAL REVISED STATUS SCREEN<
(Disregard the labels these are from the instruction manual itself)​

Feed back is appreciated :)   The game should be released within the next month maybe less.  Pending on how fast my friends smoke through the game/getting feedback.  I look forward to sharing my game with you all.  It's been a long 6 months of work.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The game is completed and several friends of mine are beta testing the game project.  Once (if any) other issues are present they will be fixed.  The commercial version will feature special sound tracks from RPG license tracks such as the Cinematic Soundtrack, DS Resource track, Adventurers Journey.
Not much to give feedback on without a playable demo, but going by the screenshots I can't imagine anyone willing to pay real money for this. I'm judging this as a commercial title and gotta say that your mapping is atrociously bad. Even by non-commercial standards your mapping leaves much to be desired. Huge empty spaces of nothingness. Boring lay-outs. Questionable use of certain tiles.

What I'd like to know is what your game would offer over the dozen of free RPG Maker games? What do I get for paying for this game what I can't get in free games? Because looking at the list of features and screenshots I don't see anything that would.

Ultimacj

Cookie Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Englist
Primarily Uses
N/A
@ Milennin please do not go based off the old screen shots at the very top of the page (honestly need to remove those myself -I kept them for developmental reasons to show others) as those are very old and was posted in very early developments of the game itself. Screenshots from the Feb 14th post are the most recent.  The game will feature a playable demo, but as I said before the final play through is being played by others so I can construct a demo.  The Demo itself will feature the prologue and the first half of chapter one, which is about 2-3 hours total.  Also do not go based off the black borders those are NOT in the actual game, this is just how screenshots are done with Paint.  Sorry if that gave any confusion.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The projectiles shown in this video are as follows:
1, Basic Triple
2, 30-Degree Arc
3, Randomized Blast Wave
4, 8-way
5, 8-way Double
6, 8-way Slowness
7, 120-Degree Arc Repetitive
8, Projective Triple
9, Split 8-way
10, 2-way Split Randomized Arc
11, HP-MP Split Arc
12, Split Laser
13, Shock
14, Cosine
Drop shadows and water reflections tests in RPG Maker VX Ace

BgI3F80.png
I'm doing a fairy tale project Little Red Riding Hood and the Woodsman. I'm almost done with the demo in my native language and I intend to make a demo version in English as well. I'm just going to use the translator because I don't know the pronunciations very well, I only know how to say "Hey" and nothing else.. :kaoswt2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghn