Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So since I lost most of my original project and am currently rebuilding everything I was wondering what do you guys think would make good/interesting cases in a detective game?

Things I already got :
- missing/stolen jewelry
- murder (a plenty lol)
- runaway/kidnapped child
- missing pet

Also, what case would serve well as a tutorial? I originally had a missing cat - case as a tutorial but am open to other ideas xD

Any input would be much appreciated :D

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Maybe reports of a doppelganger by someone. As in, someone is getting bombarded/falsely accused/seeing it themselves - of a figure that looks like them doing stuff they'd never do and causing havoc/mischief (depending on how tame you want it to be). I always liked these sorta of mystery doppelganger things, sooo.

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@PixeLockeT oh...nice one. a mistaken idenitity/doppelganger case would be good :)
Also reminds me a need a blackmail case to. Thanks :)

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, classic stuff I can think of is, like... somebody suspecting that their spouse is unfaithful? And somebody needing protection, because they're afraid someone else is out to hurt them?

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan (More than ever)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is this Detective game set to be grounded in reality?

Or is it semi-realistic?

Because then you could do some more crazy shenanigans like time-travel and stuff like this.
And if you haven't already done that, you could also draw inspiration from games like Ace Attorney
(Which is absolutely bonkers in terms of realism)

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@alice_gristle hmmm, could be a simple check on cheating spouse - but witness something much bigger... hmmm.

@ScorchedGround It's pretty much grounded in realism. But yeah I might have to check out Ace Attorney xD

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Private or police detective? I am guessing private, because of the stolen jewelry. In that case:
- Cheating partner (of client, not your own)
- Adopted person looking for their biological parents
- Rich guy hiring a private eye to check out his daughters new boyfriend
- Business man trying to dig up dirt on his business partner, to shove him out of the game.
- That business partner, trying hiring you to find out who's following him (which would also be you)
- Old lady suspects her neighbor takes a dump on her doorstep every night, then it turns out the real pooper is her own dog.
- New couple in town find a weird trunk in the attic of their home, and they want to know where is comes from and who it belongs to, so they might find a key to open it.

How many cases do you need? :p

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@JohnDoeNews There are a few good ideas you gave me there . Thanks!

Oh and yeah private and aiming for 15 to start with xD

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
how about:
1. case request from someone to investigate someone which actually your own family members (the client did not know your relationship with the target btw)... which then will show conflict between professionalism and family... :D.
2. case request from someone to investigate the real identity of local superhero :D...
(and it could be obvious like clark kent with glasses disguise for humor factor :D)

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@estriole 1 could be a good one. 2 is a little too lihgthearted for my game but i might work with the base Idea of It. Thanks :)

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
@estriole 1 could be a good one. 2 is a little too lihgthearted for my game but i might work with the base Idea of It. Thanks :)
hmmm... to make it little heavy...
how about...
2. Investigate request from a client to investigate local superhero... the client suspect the local superhero is an ******* behind the scene but keep the righteous image in front of camera :D :D...

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@JohnDoeNews There are a few good ideas you gave me there . Thanks!

Oh and yeah private and aiming for 15 to start with xD

I would rather pick one large case. Like a missing woman, abducted by a known (but anonymous) serial killer, who always kills their victims after 7 days. You can add little side cases along the way, but I would keep the focus on 1 large case from scene 1 until the end.

This keeps your private eye occupied, and you have a main story for the game, a red thread to hold on to, and an ending to work towards. Plus an extra challenge: Complete the game within 7 in-game days...

Alternatively, if you prefer multiple smaller cases, you might connect all the cases somehow, to form a larger case all together. They might all seem like stand-alone missions, but they all are somehow hinting towards another case, which you will not be hired for, but you find out by accident, while solving out all the other cases.

Like you investigate: 2 murders, 1 suicide, 1 stolen van and 2 stolen cars, 1 mysterious empty box left at the city hall door, 7 false bomb alerts and 3 kilo's of active uranium being missing. All stand-alone cases, but if you connect them all, they lead to a huge attack on City Hall, that you have to prevent.

That last one might be interesting, but much more complicated (storywise... You need to be a good planner and writer to pull that off, I guess). 1 large case as main story, would be a safer bet.

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I would rather pick one large case. Like a missing woman, abducted by a known (but anonymous) serial killer, who always kills their victims after 7 days. You can add little side cases along the way, but I would keep the focus on 1 large case from scene 1 until the end.

This keeps your private eye occupied, and you have a main story for the game, a red thread to hold on to, and an ending to work towards. Plus an extra challenge: Complete the game within 7 in-game days...

Alternatively, if you prefer multiple smaller cases, you might connect all the cases somehow, to form a larger case all together. They might all seem like stand-alone missions, but they all are somehow hinting towards another case, which you will not be hired for, but you find out by accident, while solving out all the other cases.

Like you investigate: 2 murders, 1 suicide, 1 stolen van and 2 stolen cars, 1 mysterious empty box left at the city hall door, 7 false bomb alerts and 3 kilo's of active uranium being missing. All stand-alone cases, but if you connect them all, they lead to a huge attack on City Hall, that you have to prevent.

That last one might be interesting, but much more complicated (storywise... You need to be a good planner and writer to pull that off, I guess). 1 large case as main story, would be a safer bet.
Well i have a good Idea of what i want for this game and complex is certainly the case (Joke intended lol). I actually had multiple cases done already before i lost the project so i know what i can pull off :)

There Will be several large more complex cases and one more over-arcing story that may lead to a case (if the player makes the right choices).

The most complex bit of the game is going to be the fact that you cant fail a case - you can only make the wrong conclusions and live with the consequence of that choice but that's going too much into spoilers I guess xD

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Vandalism with mysterious messages?

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
3. Finding the identity of the misterious 'flasher' which target womens at night...

flasher => perverted act of showing genitals to other people...

4. case where the client hire you to frame you for a murder

5. case where the client hire you to follow him/her to create alibi while s/he murder someone.
either by putting the victim on a 'timed execution device' like tapping the victim in a bathtub with the water turned on... then after you confirm the aliby s/he then release the tape...
or using substitutes to trick your eyes that s/he is there while s/he kill the victim...

hope this help :D

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Tiamat-86 wrote on Andar's profile.
tfw just trying to help and get yelled at. /comfort
:LZSooo: Gotcha Gotcha Games... have launched an official discord server for RPG Maker. :LZSooo:

doodled a poring today :kaoluv:
uc
Fire-Emblem Style Level Up System, Boost on Class Change, And Animated Arrows | RPG Maker News #115

Why keyboards don't sleep? Because they have two shifts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EF2L