- Apr 12, 2020
- Reaction score
- First Language
- Primarily Uses
Devil's Path LegacyHi all.
I've just released my first game! I've been working on it in spare time using RMVXAce.
I've spent plenty of time reading through forums trying find answers to things during the development time so a big thank you to everyone who is active and supportive in the various RPGMaker communites.
SECTION A: SYNOPSIS
The central theme is around the idea of food/cooking. Play as the child of an innkeeper. Just as you are starting to develop your abilities your father mysteriously disappears. It's up to you explore a strange world to track him down and develop your ability to cook.
My writing style tends be a bit abstract, subversive or tongue in cheek. Expect some weirdness but hopefully it is more enjoyable than it is confusing.
SECTION B: FEATURES/DESIGN PHILOSOPHY
- It's short game that goes for about 10-20 minutes but ~30 minutes of optional content for the player to explore.
- Dialogue is short and to the point. I'd tried to get a lot of value out of a little dialogue rather than force the players through long conversations.
- Zero Grinding. You do not need to do any grinding to complete the main quest. You are rewarded for experimentation and practice but it is not required.
- A different approach to combat.
- The combat is short and high stakes.
- Single use items play an important part of combat and require some management of inventory and finances to achieve success.
- No random encounters. All encounters are initiated by the player.
- If you unlock the second party member than timing/coordination becomes important as well.
- Equipment affects both stats in combat and ability to produce high quality meals. There is a wide range equipment to suit the players style and technique.
- Art style.
- I've used the default assets as much as possible to keep to a consistent art style. The intention was to get as much value as possible out of a little than a little value out of a lot.
- A balance between simplicity and detail. I didn't want the visuals to be over detailed because that can feel clustered or overstimulating (sometimes a problem for people with visual processing difficulties). I also didn't want to want to have vast amounts of unused space in the maps. I tried to find a comfortable balance between the two and still give each location a unique feel. Again, I aimed for a lot of value out of a little.
Cooking themed JRPG. Can you live up to the legacy your father has left behind?
I've changed it to Free or donation
As I said this is my first game so I am definitely looking forward to getting some feedback.
Free Download 1
Free Download 2
Free Download 3
Shout out to these people for some of the assets:
Fullscreen++ v2.2 for VX and VXace by Zeus81
Basic Enemy HP Bars v 2.8.2 and Basic Damage Popup v1.2.1a by: V.M of D.T
Plants by PandaMaru
Ghostsprites by Liberty
If I've used your resources and you are not on the list let me know. Happy to give a free copy of my game to anyone who's resources I used.