RMMV Diagonal Movement Jitter With Yanfly’s Core Engine.

Rugman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I’ve tried every diagonal movement plugin I can find and all of them cause the player sprite to jitter when used with Yanfly’s Core Engine. This only occurs when the camera is moving. I’ve tested this in a fresh project with only those two plugins and the core engine is what’s causing it.

Has anyone else experienced this and know of a solution?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Plugin Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

So you have removed the core engine and tested with the other plugins and confirmed that the jitter is not there?

What version are your project's core files? This doesn't mean your MV editor version - you need to go into your js folder and open the rpg_core.js file and look for a version number in the first few lines.

Rugman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes there is no jitter with the rest of my plugins, just the core engine. My rpg_core.js says v1.6.2

Rugman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bump da bumb

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

@Rugman, please do not bump your topic unless it has been 72 hours later since your last post. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Rugman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
a bumpa roon

Rugman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So after much research and testing I’ve discovered some things. The “jitter” I’m experiencing with my player character when using Yanfly’s core engine with a diagonal movement plugin, seems to be a result of the core engine trying to fix an inherent issue with events “jittering” when the camera moves.

For reasons beyond my understanding, turning the core engine off makes my character move without jitter but makes events jitter instead. The reverse is true when turning the core engine on. This seems to appy to all pixel based movement plugins.

The reason I’m posting this lengthy explanation is to implore others struggling with similar issues to just stick with the default grid based movement, not because it’s impossible to overcome but because it’s most likely a design flaw to deviate from it. If you feel like your game absolutely has to have diagonal or pixel based movement, you might be using the wrong engine.

Rpg maker does what it does very well. Don’t try to fight it too much.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I am adamant about not having missable quests, which means having to write entirely new scenes at each plot progression that takes into account that time and events have passed since the quest could first be accepted while still having there be a quest to solve in the first place. It's worth every second.
Surprisingly useful and thought provoking
Working on animation. Trying to see if I can apply it meaningfully to my games!
ddwk.png

working on the sprite for Devali <3
My Game Development Livestream

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keiberus