Diagonal tiles make a world of difference, Enterbrain.

Felix Trapper

old fogey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The infamous 'blockiness' of VX and VX Ace default graphics could have been easily remedied with the inclusion of the previously standard diagonal tiles.

Pretty much all SNES+ era RPG's had them, and heck, even some NES RPG's had diagonal tiles. They go a LONG way in making your world look more aesthetically pleasing.

Yes, I know you can make your own resources. I really am just including this as a pre-emptive strike, praying fervently that no one on this site would resort to that rebuttal as if it were somehow a viable solution.

I just hope that the next RPG Maker comes standard with the diagonal tiles seen in the previous RPG Maker run-time packages. I am tired of seeing 75% of projects look like 2D Minecraft crossovers whenever the RTP is used instead of parallax mapping.

That is my rant for the day. Thank you for listening, and happy RPG Making!

Reactions: Des

Felix Trapper

old fogey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Everything looks perfect from far away~ the Postal Service

Take a 17x13 screen of that structure and the symptoms will radiate like a barrel of Uranium.

Last edited by a moderator:

TDS

- T D S -
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Looks fine to me.

[IMG]http://ftp.66rpg.com/WEB_PLUS/upload_program/files/MinasTirith02_87508603.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://bbs.66rpg.com/upload_program/files/MinasTirith04_87508644.jpg[/IMG]

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Holy ****, suddenly my mapping seems so damned mediocre XD

hyde9318

RMC Coordinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is quite the map. I love it. But then again, I just love LOTR, so that may be it, lol.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
i was actually thinking about this today. with the cliff tiles, if they were diagonal it would literally look so much better

It's not the resources that matter it's how they're used.
what if you have **** resources

TDS

- T D S -
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
what if you have **** resources
Literal or figuratively? Because again, we can all complain about the stuff we can't use, but that doesn't mean it's unusable or bad, the fault most of the time lies with the person failing at using the resources in a creative way and not the resources themselves.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Literal or figuratively? Because again, we can all complain about the stuff we can't use, but that doesn't mean it's unusable or bad, the fault most of the time lies with the person failing at using the resources in a creative way and not the resources themselves.
I agree, but the thing is, even if you use it to the best of your ability, it could be even greater with better resources. A mountain with diagonal cliffs as opposed to one with blocky cliffs would look 100% better, regardless of the person using the resource. block tiles are awful

Mouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Looks like someone spent a lot of time with Lego's growing up...

Des

timefantasy.net
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
N/A
eh that map's not as impressive as it seems at first glance—especially if you were to look at it close-up. it's nearly impossible to make a nice rounded wall like that map attempts to. the blockiness makes those curves totally unnatural—nobody would actually construct a structure like that.

that said, the ****ty blockiness of the rmvx rtp is nothing new. we've been complaining about it for a long time and the only way to change it is to make some new graphics!

Yes, I know you can make your own resources. I really am just including this as a pre-emptive strike, praying fervently that no one on this site would resort to that rebuttal as if it were somehow a viable solution.
but it IS a viable solution

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not necessarily, VX and Ace should just have 32x32 corner autotiles, not 16x16. That's what causes the blockiness, because we only have 16x16 pixels of space to create a corner, and that is seriously not that much.

Mouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
eh that map's not as impressive as it seems at first glance—especially if you were to look at it close-up. it's nearly impossible to make a nice rounded wall like that map attempts to. the blockiness makes those curves totally unnatural—nobody would actually construct a structure like that.

that said, the ****ty blockiness of the rmvx rtp is nothing new. we've been complaining about it for a long time and the only way to change it is to make some new graphics!

but it IS a viable solution
It may be a viable solution for someone who is a graphic artist. The rest of us have to wait for someone to make and release them for use in projects (commercial and non-commercial, of course :) ). You seem pretty keen on the idea, why don't you bang some out?

Des

timefantasy.net
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
N/A
It may be a viable solution for someone who is a graphic artist. The rest of us have to wait for someone to make and release them for use in projects (commercial and non-commercial, of course :) ). You seem pretty keen on the idea, why don't you bang some out?
i don't use the rtp in my own projects so it would be a waste of my time. :(

but this is something that i have seen other people do before. it's not really a new suggestion, and there are enough people around here who do use the rtp who could probably make something like this in a matter of minutes.

besides, it's just a matter of editing the existing tiles. you don't have to be a great artist to take a stab at it. give it a shot, man. it might turn out better than you expect. :)

Mouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
besides, it's just a matter of editing the existing tiles. you don't have to be a great artist to take a stab at it. give it a shot, man. it might turn out better than you expect. :)
I just may do that :) In fact, I think I see a way I can. I'll have to get more familiar with the tiles first, though, and it wouldn't be general fix - but would work well enough in practice.

Ocedic

Dog
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Jesus, your mapping skills are insane TDS. The only thing I don't like are the roofs in Ace. With the exception of the C layer roofs, they just look weird to me.

Gomi Boy

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
the truth
Primarily Uses
[IMG]http://bbs.66rpg.com/upload_program/files/MinasTirith04_87508644.jpg[/IMG]
okay so where do I walk here there is so much noise oh my goodness

Anyway, I don't think "but look what you can do if you're crazy good like me!" is ever a proper rebuttal to the idea that something should be more versatile. Imagine what you could do with the same level of skill but more to choose from!

LouisCyphre

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Both quality resources and a quality user are required for a quality product. That should be clear to just about everyone.

That said, why don't we have a LEGO resource pack already? I mean come on.

Felix Trapper

old fogey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This .gif does a decent job of showing the difference between blocks and no blocks.

aKNDU.gif

RavenTDA

just another mask
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If those are the types of tiles you want why don't you just use XP's tiles or Mack's tiles? The original idea of VX was to make maps simple, fast and easy. That's why they're mostly done with auto-tiles. So yeah it's going to look blocky. But in the long run if you don't now how to work with simple tiles and such the more complicated tiles aren't going to do anything for you. Using fancy tiles don't automatically make bad mapping good. Bad mapping is still bad mapping no matter what tiles you use. Mapping isn't also meant to just be "pretty" you need to give an idea of what path the player should be walking and going.

That being said. I wouldn't mind less blocky tiles and going back to the more complicated tiles of XP. But hey it did take me a few minutes to figure out what roof piece goes where and having to do each individual tile, never mind breaking my brain over the ship set. I see what they were trying to do with the new ones. I don't think either one is bad but having both options is always a good thing. Maybe EB can offer a new version on sale at the store if an artist is willing to take a crack at it.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Signed a lease on a new place today. Back into town, closer to shops, family and takeaway - none of those could be a good thing! 10 days to moving date.
let me introduce you to my worlds source of "wool". A pretty simple-minded, easily scared and mostly blind, double-headed big wooly bird thingy :D Children may be able to ride on a trained one, but they don't support the weight of adults, so they aren't suitable for transportation. And herders use the shown tool to give them sound commands
6nwyqEJ.png
This Life is a Dream is in full production! More pics and some free promo assets coming soon!
Dragonfly3116 wrote on Redweaver's profile.
i need to ask do you mind sending me a link to tutorial town an legend of ancients Please My new Email is necroboy1973@gmail.com
I Am A Member On The Site Here As Well If Your Still teaching Let Me Know Thanks Joseph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrueNoper