BrandedTales

StoryTeller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Wanted to poll people smarter than me before I start churning down my own methods. I'm starting in RMMV support because I always look for plugin-free solutions before I go down the plugin road, but if it must be a plugin, we can totally move the thread there.

Has anybody implemented a system to create time-bound choices in dialog?

IE: The choices pop up, and a timer starts running. Options disappear as the timer counts down until only a single default action is left. Even more so, a lack of decision -"Do Nothing"- would have consequences that could be drafted out.

There isn't a combat system in my game, so combat (like so much else in the game) gets represented by choices the player makes... But I'd like a twitch element baked into that. It creates pressure to make a quick decision, which can lead to some rasher decisions because it wasn't over-analyzed. I think this ultimately can create a more rich story.... And add potency to re-plays as the player wants to make sure he answers a dialog a particular way.

Thoughts?

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is possible to event. But you'd have to show choices through series of pictures instead of Show choice, because Show choice waits an indefinite amout of time.
I'm sure there are plugins out there for timed choices, but I'm not sure where they are or how they work :( I saw one yesterday, but didn't download it, since I didn't need it.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've decided to try and be more social and less nervous about engaging. I'm always over thinking things - from now on when I'm worried or don't get something I'll just ask.
Sometimes a mechanic that is meant to add challenge is just annoying. Even the Final Fantasy games did not completely escape this pitfall of design. (FF8 draw system I'm looking at you - grrrr)
starting working on the sprites for one of my games major antagonists finally. here's the first frame of his chanting motion in battle.
Have spent too much time hammering out with a friend just how to make a reoccurring enemy that permanently learns skills you use against her.
I know what I want in a loose sense. Maybe I should just make a post asking for opinions and suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad_At_Scripting