Dialogue Workshop

Discussion in 'Resource Workshops' started by Bonkers, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

[​IMG]

Not the usual workshop you'd expect where graphics, music, and physical resources exist. This is more the unspoken word, and heart of game dev where we explore concepts, scenes, dialogue, and everything between the pretty graphics and musics of the finished project. Being here means taking yourself to the goal of finishing a game, and doing so in a sane approach to the huge task of game dev.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Jayce and Stacy, demonstrating the profound impact of scene elements.[​IMG]

Let's talk about what I'm offering before I rattle on. As the days go by I'll be dressing up the thread adding subject material along with examples for you. Helping your game, and your process starts here.

[​IMG]Graphical Overhaul and Clarification of services. New Examples are being added at this time. Portfolio Update.
    [​IMG]
    What is the goal of this workshop? I'm here to provide a service that isn't normally provided in the community, and serves a purpose for enriching a game's flow and quality.
    This covers concepts, dialogue, scene flow, and implementation Things commonly overlooked that give game development it's core.

Do you charge money for this service? No the service is free and provided on a basis of need and effort. I will allow trades, but I'm here to do this because I enjoy doing it; and I see enough games that lack in characterization and development. So a project that is a good or even a great idea may go to waste due to poor execution due to lack of experience.

• I have the right to refuse work for any reason [​IMG]

• You must supply a written copy of the script, or in case of behaviors the full concept/sprite sheet of the character along with a written biography of no less than 3 sentences in English.

• If your project is in a DLC tile format, you must provide a SS of proof that you own the set either on your steam library or through client area sent to me via PM. No exceptions.

• For transition, scene effects and animations please specify if the animation's life will be in or out of battle. This goes for cut ins as well.

• For Banners and Animated Banners I'll need any artwork you want included or a reference of theme and style. These can really dress up a game thread.

Does this mean you don't do graphics? Yes, graphics that serve a purpose to enhance the story and dialogue.

Examples are being reevaluated at this time. The previous ones were out of date.

-If you want me to join your team for a 'Game Jam' / Contest you must have a synopsis, and game play statement ready!

[​IMG]
    To help stream line the process, please fill out this form:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...Qovt0z3aAATh-1dWNmlDY_6Wg/viewform?usp=pp_url

1. Open

2. Open

3. Open

Everything starts as a concept, and if you don't have placeholders or a clear idea to work through having a lack of graphics getting those graphics for the final product is meaningless. They go to waste. I'll show you how to start with even the most humble of resources and work upwards. We focus too much on graphics because that is what AAA games and big publishers focus on. We forget there are simpler tools for storytelling which are more subtle and effective. Graphics enhance this scheme, they don't encompass it. Pretty is important, but it doesn't make substance where there is none.

[​IMG]

Producer
    Playtester
    Writer/Ghost Writer
    Spriter/Tileset
    Concept Artist
    Quality Assurance
    [​IMG]

Credits: All Artwork of the Chibis seen here are the work of Makio Kuta.

Tileset and Sprites are the work of Vex Enigma's 'PoP! City Horror!', with original designs and behaviors to showcase the workshop.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  2. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am so thrilled to see something like this in the community now. I hope people take it with open arms and I'm anxious to see some results. And honestly, I think some of the best fun I have in the whole software is using behaviors, emosets, sound effects, animations, and eventing all over the scenes. Try it, guys. It's such a good time. 

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
    Deleted, Tuxedo Leila, Susan and 2 others like this.
  3. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm also not a big fan of the ellipsis in spoken text, because I have no idea what the character is saying.

Ditto for the Silent Protagonist trope (i.e. Chrono Trigger) because the most important character doesn't say anything.

4. Susan

Susan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    No idea...
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Congratulations on opening your workshop! ^^

This is something important that has been lacking in the community, and I find this really informative and amazing!

The advice given here are spot on! I will certainly be visiting this workshop more than just a few times.

Thanks for sharing your advice and experience! Hope to see more! ^^

5. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Very informative. I think everyone needs to read all this. I always found narrator butting into the game to describe an action to be very immersion-breaking. Games are a visual medium. As such, actions must be shown, and not told in a text box like "And then he looked up and punched him in the face". Heck, I've even seen some commercial non-RM games do this mistake and it's terrible.

In regard to ellipsis, I agree that they're fine to use providing they're well-placed and not overly abused that every line of dialogue contains them.

Curious to see what more stuff you'll put on this thread. Good job, man.

6. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Excellent idea Palla, hope this works out well and that people use this as a valuable opportunity to improve themselves :)

I'm probably shooting my business in the foot with this next statement but you're right.  The game itself is more important than the resources used in it.  Resources should be used to enhance what you have, not filling in for what you don't have.

Best of luck with this!

7. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I split off the discussion as best I could to a new topic in General Discussion. Hope that helps.

Love this concept, I look forward to seeing better games as a result.

8. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Heya all, due to moderator intervention somethings will be changing with the workshop.  I expected it to be rearranged by now, but in anticipation of that event I need to lay down some more established details.  Rest assured the aforementioned notes on SFX and Meta effects to enhance dialogue are coming for next week.  

As it stands this is seen as being a personal blog, an art dump, and tutorials all of which are not permitted in this section of the forums.  So certain parts will be leaving for other areas when the mods have a chance.

I'll be opening up free services for dialogue, continuity, and scene flow with the following provisions as is normal for most workshops:

I have the right to refuse work for any reason

You must supply a written copy of the script, or in case of behaviors the full concept/sprite sheet of the character along with a written biography of no less than 3 sentences in English.

If your project is in DS format, you must provide a SS of proof that you own the set either on your steam library or through client area sent to me via PM.  No exceptions.

For transition, scene effects and animations please specify if the animation's life will be in or out of battle.  This goes for cut ins as well.

I'll now be opening up some slots for work in the OP.  I'll have behavior samples, face set examples drawn from editor to canvas, and special effects which includes all graphical things in between like animation and cut ins.  

You will have examples of my work for cut ins by Feb 6th the latest in the upcoming restaff release.  At which point I'll be able to post them for your use after it is distributed.  The given example in the tutorial above is stationary and doesn't show the actual product as meant to be used in scene scrolling from either side.  

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  9. Susan

Susan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    No idea...
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Personally. I feel a bit sad if this workshop will be rearranged or move into separate sections.

I honestly find it useful and convenient to have all this lovely and crucial information accessible from one place.

Still, if the moderators feel that it's for the best....

Palladinthug, keep up the good job! Thanks for lending your time to help us newbies out by extending your knowledge and experience. ^^

Marsigne, Dalph, Bukarett and 3 others like this.
  10. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sorry Palladinthug, I completely forgot that I was going to do that. I've gotten written down this time so I won't forget and I'll work on splitting it up and making it all nice and neat tomorrow.

Bonkers likes this.
  11. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Now that the dust is settled I can get back to things.  I'll be adding the following:

Genre Tags for your splash screens and game threads: [​IMG]

A new banner and splash screen for graphics snobs.  Should you need a splash screen designed custom for your project you can view these as examples.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
  12. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Pallad's help in fixing up some of the dialogue for BR: HD was greatly appreciated, as now the first half (so far) of the game flows a lot more smoothly. While I'm still working on the game, its allowed me to have a better direction toward personalities and behaviors in the second half.

Also looking forward to those behaviors! I've seen a few already, and they're great :D

Rock on ~(o_o)~

Ms Littlefish and Bonkers like this.
  13. tlbearer

tlbearer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I was going to ask but seeing as you are busy I shall wait.

14. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Currently I am nearly done with my longstanding work for HFL.  Due to the NDA I signed I cannot share a preview with you until the actual start date.  I will be checking in with him once he returns to review my work and offer the slot up again in time for the IGMC.  I will update the thread with examples as soon as possible of the new work.

Dreadshadow hasn't gotten back to me in over a week so that slot will be opening up again soon as well.

TLbearer has received their materials today and is currently in review.

A new very powerful resource is available to you from Enelvon:

[​IMG]

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/6608-external-text-v31-now-support-multiple-file-structure-database-addon-released/

Not only does this tool work with your existing game to compile a text document it does so in a way you can edit and put revisions into the existing text without opening the editor or the dialogue boxes individually.

I highly recommend this tool as well as Shaz's event exporter for story outlining and revisions.

The New Pack will be continuing as slated.

I have been studying the POP Horror and Time Fantasy Templates and will be doing my own personal work with them for monsters.  

It is sad these packs while having so much, have little to no non human characters or monsters.  I am hoping that changes in the future.  I'll be adding it to my review of their products as well for their respective creators.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
    BCj and Enelvon like this.
  15. tlbearer

tlbearer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    palladinthung has been very helpful to me. He has made my characters seem more realistic and they are closer relationships, which is what I wanted, without revealing too much about the story early on.

Bonkers likes this.
  16. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Beyond Reality has received all their sprite Behaviors and Hotfirelegend has told me I've satisfied their needs.  This was a job for about 12 characters each with 3-4 behaviors including the main which had around 8 unique poses.  A large project like this was completed in less than 2 days.

I am free for IGMC projects as of this week.  If you are having difficulty with getting your story started and want to be in prime shape for the contest when it starts, either with a concept or a refined idea now is your chance!  Reserve a spot with me.

I've received some very specific needs for the DS set expansion in terms of fantasy elements.  This means I'll be posting some busts as well as some things in the DS style.  I'm slated to work on several world tiles as well as some sprites for necromancy and related dungeon tiles.  If you feel the DS set is missing something, now is your chance to say something.

Good luck to all those participating in the contest, and remember this workshop is available to help you with one of the most daunting and underdeveloped aspects of game design.  This 20% of your score matters.  Get ahead of your competition early.

Susan likes this.
  17. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Could you help me sort out a story that's still in the outlining phase or does it need to be a script?

Bonkers likes this.
  18. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'd be happy to bounce ideas and refine the outline with you.  Just let me know what works best for you, and the IGMC entries need not be in script form.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  19. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Great!  I'll finish writing it up and send you a PM tomorrow morning.

20. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for all the work you've given me!  I didn't expect so much to do during this month or the next.  I'll be giving it my all.  I'm currently waiting on a script from Rocket Knight, but in the mean time if you wish to reserve a spot for the IGMC you have a day left to nab one of the two remaining spots.

Good luck to all of you, and enjoy the calm before the storm.