Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I just purchased the entirety of Olivia's plugins for MV, but when I open the JS files, the contents are nigh unreadable. I use LTBS (LeCode's Tactical Battle System) so almost every plugin I use has to be modified in some way for compatibility. But with the way Olivia's code is formatted, is there any way to make sense of the contents? I feel utterly ripped off right now, as I am unable to use any of the plugins I just purchased. :kaosigh:

For example, this is the error I get when I plug 'n play Olivia's Victory Sequence plugin:
1626775716874.png

Last edited:

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks like it's incompatible with other plugins you've used, but don't blame dev for this. It just happens.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Olivia's plugins all have their code obfuscated, AFAIK. You can overwrite stuff that they do, but there's no way for you to see the code of the plugins themselves.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would just ask for a refunds sinces it will be impossible for you to edit the code. it's obfuscated

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
How'd they obfuscate it? I'd not be a happy camper if I bought the plugin and couldn't make some minor modifications :/

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It looks like this... (plz lemme know if I'm not supposed to post screenshots of it)
1626781172771.png

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if the dev is active, you can ask for it, otherwise it would be extremely hard,
or you could ask for an unobfuscated version so you can modify it.

some of mine plugin are obfuscated too, but they are free, and WIP, but
if I was able to sell it, it will be original to modify, but I will do so once the plugin
is finished. or they ask for it so they can obfuscated it before release.

but it's a pain to modify or where to look for compability issue.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm, after some quick googling...looks like there are deobfuscation tools, such as:
*snip*

Once properly formatted, it seems to just be a matter of decoding the "_0x######" stuff.

Olivia's Victory Sequence plugin is really my last hope. I've tried a total of 3 victory plugins and none have been compatible w/ LTBS thus far. Gosh, I hope I can get this to work...

Last edited by a moderator:

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
once obfuscated, it is really hard to decode it, even with the tools,
they arent 100% working, so it's almost impossible to reverse to
the original code.

but it's a shame though.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I removed the deobfuscation tool link, as posting that and doing that is a violation of the TOS of their plug-ins.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Also they have said they will not give unobfuscated code. And welcome to game dev. I worked in C and when I bought outside code we never had access to it directly for editing. This is actually very normal for a lot of systems to not be able to see or directly edit the outside code.

Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah Olivia's plugins are obfuscated, it will be hard to try to edit the plugins. Variable names will be hard to discern, etc :hsad:
Try messaging Olivia on discord if you want help regarding the plugin, you can reach them from Visustella discord.
Olivia helped me before when i need to customize the aggro plugin, which is nice and they been very helpful.

But still though, its a shame that i cant utilize the plugin that i paid fully due to obfuscation. For example; i wanted to draw the aggro gauge on window. Olivia only gives the gauge formula, while i want to replicate the tweening effect. I did the tweening myself.

The terms of use no. 3 'You are allowed to edit the code' is a bit misleading, shouldve include that the code is obfuscated.
As a hobbyist programmer, i hope they will allow some exception regarding obfuscation in the future.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
allowing the edit the code while obfuscated is indeed misleading while
you are unable to do so.

it's better to remove that line and put it there if you can ACTUALLY edit
the code, otherwise, it's misleading, so I totally agreed on that part.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frostorm my advice for you is like an advice like brother to brother.

If developer takes money for his scripts / software and puts addnotation like this one:
Screenshot_1.png
then just close the tab and search for free alternatives, but if you already paid for his/her plugins 40$ and you can't get working your project, then don't ask for refund, DEMAND right away refund!!!

I never had an opportunity to work as programmer, but my nature would not allow me to ask for money for untested product, no matter what it would be. So... Don't bother trying fixing mess made by some self-proclaimed programmer, just refund your purchase and avoid Olivias plugins in future.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I removed the deobfuscation tool link, as posting that and doing that is a violation of the TOS of their plug-ins.
Apologies, I wasn't aware that was against the rules.

allowing the edit the code while obfuscated is indeed misleading while
you are unable to do so.
Yea, very misleading indeed, especially since nowhere on the itch.io product page does it say that the plugin is obfuscated. It feels like when a salesman pulls a fast one of you. :kaosigh:

Looks like it's incompatible with other plugins you've used, but don't blame dev for this. It just happens.
I'm not blaming the dev for the plugin being incompatible. Rather, I'm upset that I've been denied the opportunity to edit the plugin to become compatible in the first place. I'm already accustomed to tweaking most of the plugins I use due to the nature of my game's battle system. That's just what I've come to expect when using LTBS. As already mentioned, the plugin's product page states that editing is allowed, but nowhere does it say it was obfuscated.

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've heard though that you can if you alias the functions still make edits, and the function names and variables still show in the console. So you can see that much no matter what anyone does. Maybe try working with that?

But as it is you are using a really advanced battle system that probably needs its own victory aftermath made for it. I'd suggest refunding it as it doesn't work for you needs (most likely) and commission someone to make one that works with your battle system.

And no worries too. We just have to protect things the creators ask us to, so thinks like getting to the code and such we just have to snip out.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I worked in C and when I bought outside code we never had access to it directly for editing. This is actually very normal for a lot of systems to not be able to see or directly edit the outside code.
When you know what you bought, you know what you expect, it's all fair game. It is not fair when you were not informed. Regardless of how the "game dev industry works", it is a very different custom than we usually have, editing the code. So, the complaint is justified.

---
Now about the refund itself.
A friendly reminder, if you do refund at all. Please wipe out the plugin from your computer. Some jerk decided to keep the plugin and use it after complained that it didn't work. Some even dare to ask for extended support even after a refund. Yes, it did happen. A series of those incidents lead to how Olivia and c.o in this state today.

Actually, those incidents were from Irina. But it doesn't rule out the possibility that similar things could happen to Olivia and their Visu's circle.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I'm so annoyed with myself...I can't get this code to work so it looks like I'm going the plugin route for a problem I should be able to do myself :kaolivid:Great. Now I get to murder save file compatibility. Again.
Can't believe my code from four years ago is still working! Did some expansions, and...
1635194553179.png
In related news, I may have an update for my old Extra status window plugin ready. That is, once I manage to sit down and update the documentation... and the demo project... :kaoswt:
How does one pronounce Godot? I've heard it pronounced a couple of different ways, and I genuinely don't know the proper way.
March 2020 ...
1635188823939.jpeg
... vs October 2021

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PamuRachii