Difference between Self Switch and Normal Switch?

Cubic

Level 23 Thief
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Never learned the difference when I first started using Makers 5 years ago... this question just randomly popped in my head :/

Anyway, title says it all, what's the difference between Self Switch and a Normal Switch?

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Self switches exist "locally" for that event while Switches is shared by all...

If I modify self switch A of event 1, it will only affect event 1... If I modify Switch 001 on event 1, everyone else using Switch 001 will also be affected.

BrandedTales

StoryTeller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If you have a switch that is only relevant for that event, a self-switch will let you avoid having a cluttered list of one-off switches.  It also pets you control states for an event.

The most common self-switch usage I think is the "turn me off once I'm done" self-switch.  IE:  event tab 1 has all the content you want to execute, such as a cut scene the first time you enter a map.  You turn on self switch A at the end of it.  Tab 2 has the condition of self-switch A... And no content.  Voila!  Event turned off for the future.

Typing from my phone right now; happy to post a screen shot later if it helps.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The self-switch affects only the event itself - that is where the name comes from, turning a self-switch in one event will not change the self-switch of another event.

General switches are general - turning it somewhere will turn it for everything in the entire game.

Sekunri

Creator of Worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm going to explain it like i would to my young sister. Please take no offense.

Self Switch.

- Event Jim has 4 switches for his personal use only. Event Rick also has 4 for his own personal use and so does every event around them.

General Switch.

-Events Jim, Rick, Sally and rock all have access to these switches should they need them and must share with every other event.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

SF_Vehicle2 and SF_People2_8 added!
index.php

If I made an 8-bit-esque, dark fantasy tileset/graphics pack, would y'all be into that? Like, for Dark Souls demakes, Nintendo vampire wannabes, Castlevania ripoffs and such?

Working title: Alice's 8-bit Gothic. Do or not do? (Like do y'all even use 8-bit style graphics?)
I love editing things .
16b6a8abb5d27bf617d9b802cd5b868a.jpg

* Wall frames made with pencil photo and program photos, * Leaf and Pot, with cliché ideas of flowers
*bear on top of the closet belonging to the art of whtdragon lol.
No better feeling than part of a project just clicking into place without a single issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bansher