Difference between...

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by SeraphStray, Jul 8, 2012.

1. SeraphStray

SeraphStray Code newb Member

First Language:
    English
    Just curious as to what the big differences between the four "RPG Maker"s are.

Im mostly inquiring about VX and VX Ace, however. But I'd like detailed info on the others as well!

2. Shablo5

Shablo5 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
  3. SeraphStray

First Language:
    English
    Ah! Thank you!

4. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The only thing they don't mention is that XP has an unlimited tileset, VX has a limited tileset (only 9 sheets at a time), whereas VX Ace has an unlimited tileset as well, though slightly different than XP in the way you assign tilesets to a map.

I'll leave this open in case you want to discuss the differences between the makers, and which one would be a better pick for you :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
  5. SeraphStray

First Language:
    English
    Well, it honestly seems like Ace is the best. Question though, what exactly does that mean "unlimited tileset"?

6. Neon Black

Neon Black The Classy Prostitute Member

First Language:
    Sarcasm
    By that she means the tilesets used to create maps. I dunno if you used rpg maker 2000 or 2003. In those you would set the settings of the tilesets (passability, terrain, etc.) in a page in the database. In XP and VXA it's pretty much the same, though you "create" tilesets by combining several different parts. You then select one of the database tilesets in the map. In VX you could only have a single tileset (made up of several parts again, but still unchangable). You import the 9 files (TileA1 - TileA5, and TileB - TileE) into the Graphics/System folder and set the passability in the editor rather than the database. In my opinion, this is more than you'd need in most low scale cases, but if you want more, you'll need to either use parallax mapping or use some other odd program like SwapXT or whatever it was. Hope that clears it up.

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To expand on that a little:

In VX, you had 9 tilesheets that make up a single tileset. This is what you get to use for your whole game. There were scripts that allowed you to swap tilesets in and out, but by default, you were stuck with those. Tiles A1-A4 are all autotiles.

In VX Ace, you have up to 9 tilesheets that make up a single tileset. This is what you get to use for a single map in your game. If you have two maps, they can use two completely different tilesets. However, the size of each tilesheet is predetermined. You can change around the graphics in each one as much as you like, but you're limited to that set number of tiles. Tiles A1-A4 are autotiles.

In XP, you have one tileset, and only seven autotiles, per map, but the tileset can be as long as you want it to be. It must be 8 tiles wide, but it could be 20 or 100 or 200 tiles long, if that's what it takes to give you all the graphics.

I love that Ace has so many autotiles, but I still find the two layers restrictive and will stick with XP (and 7 autotiles, though I wish it had more) for that reason.

8. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I wish there were less differences and more similarities.

It's as if different teams at EB were working on their own RPG maker.

While the scripts are roughly the same (the public ones anyways), the front-end is constantly changing and the limitations keep going from one thing to another.

I don't really understand why they have to put limitations on features either.

Maybe it prevents users from doing stupid things and then crying that RPG maker is a broken tool that doesn't support 5000 layers and immediately sell their EB stocks and tell all their friends to dump their investment, but other than that...really no point in limiting a tool that's supposed to be flexible.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
  9. Victor Sant

Victor Sant Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Some limitations are justified, adding some caps can avoid some issues, specially considering that most things are stored in arrays, and ruby Array don't run effectively when handling a large amount of data, as said on RM Help about the Table class: "Ruby's Array class does not run efficiently when handling large amounts of data, hence the inclusion of this class".The problem is that the caps are away too low, 999 for most values, and some are even lower, like the elements and skills/weapon/armor types that goes to 99, or regions that goes only up to 64.

Ace have 4 layers, but the 2nd is used only for a small part of tile A2, and the 4th is the region layer wich is invisible. wich is a shame.Ace could have a perfect maping if they made something like "Tile B/C" = layer 2, "Tile D/E" = layer 3

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
  10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, technically it might have 4 layers, but I don't count the region layer as you can't add graphics to it without a script, or the shadow layer, because you only put shadows on it. It's true you CAN get 4 layers by combining the two "special" A tiles (where one tile shows another tile as its background in the transparent areas) and adding a shadow, then putting a B-E tile on top, but you're not going to do a lot of that on your maps, and only certain tiles can be combined in that way.

So if you're looking at actual graphics, you only get 2 layers, and you don't get to say what goes on the background layer or the foreground layer unless you start editing the graphics.

Maybe I should have said Ace's layers are much less flexible than XP's. They've tried to be clever to make things easier for the novice (I question whether that's been accomplished), but for those who like complete control over what goes where (without resorting to parallaxing or editing tilesets), you can't beat XP :)

I should add that I'm amazed by some of the incredible maps people ARE creating with Ace, especially when they just use RTP. So there's probably a reasonable "inexperienced mapper" factor in my biased opinion ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
  11. Victor Sant

Victor Sant Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Not only the layers, but the heavly auto-tile based maping is more an annoyance than a help.

12. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Agreed. I like that there are so many more autotiles, but I'm disappointed they removed the "double-click, choose what subset of the autotile you want" ability. You can still do it by using a spare section of the map and shift clicking, but that's such a pain.

I've been spoiled by XP's mapping. If I had been introduced to VX first and learned on that, I'd probably feel quite differently.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2012