Nightblade50

Developer of "Delta Origins"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey. I've seen some differences in time that threads are moderated, in two locations.
One, the games in development area. These take a long time to be moderated, often at least a day.
Two, the script requests. I made a thread there, and it only took 18 minutes to be moderated.
Why is there such a difference?

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Because anyone can approve a thread in Script Requests, and the requirements are minimal.
Games in Development are more complex, with more requirements for posting. That is why it has a detailed Rules and Guidelines topic. That is why it has always had the "72 hours for approval" note on it. In addition, as you know, all mods are volunteers doing this in their free time, and the mods for that particular section have a great many calls on their time. They cannot be here 24/7 so that threads are approved as quickly as elsewhere.

In addition, please keep in mind that this is an international site, so people are in different time zones, with differing work/sleep/leisure schedules. When I approved your Script Requests thread, the mod for Games in Development was (or ought to have been) fast asleep.

Nightblade50

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kes Thank you. This makes sense to me now. I do understand about time zones, but this brought to mind a different but related question - why are there fewer mods for the games in development section? :)

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Err... because mods don't grow on trees? (How international is that saying? Perhaps I'm about to find out.)

Nightblade50

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Err... because mods don't grow on trees? (How international is that saying? Perhaps I'm about to find out.)
I am aware that there are a limited number of mods, it's just that...
anyone can approve a thread in Script Requests
So, why can't any mod approve a thread in Games in Development, if any mod can approve one in Script requests?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Many of the mods specialize in certain areas. Even global mods don't do all kinds of moderating in all kinds of subforums. Generally, mods who are artists moderate the resource section, mods who are scripters moderate the scripting section, mods who have commercial games moderate the commercial section. Of course there are exceptions. I believe there are only one or two mods who look after the Games in Development area.

As already said, the post you made was approved quickly because more people can approve it, but you also happened to be lucky enough to post it just before a mod came by. If you'd posted after that mod came by, you might have waited a few hours for it. I've had to wait overnight to get threads approved in some of the script/plugin forums. Because there are fewer mods looking after Games in Development, and typically they have a whole stack of official work to do for Degica, they have less free time and aren't here in a moderating capacity as often.

"At least a day" is fine. If you read the pinned rules, they usually say it could take up to 72 hours. And sometimes it does. You should not expect the same speed in different areas of the forum, or even within the same areas on different days. It all depends who's around, who looks after that area, and what else they have on their plates.

Nightblade50

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Shaz

First of all...
Many of the mods specialize in certain areas. Even global mods don't do all kinds of moderating in all kinds of subforums. Mods who are artists moderate the resource section. Mods who are scripters moderate the scripting section. Mods who have commercial games moderate the commercial section. I believe there are only one or two mods who look after the Games in Development area.
Yes, that makes sense to me. Like, @hiddenone, she moderates the resource area, correct?
As already said, the post you made was approved quickly because more people can approve it, but you also happened to be lucky enough to post it just before a mod came by. If you'd posted after that mod came by, you might have waited a few hours for it. I've had to wait overnight to get threads approved in some of the script/plugin forums.
Despite this correct point, it still DOES take less time.
Because there are fewer mods looking after Games in Development, and typically they have a whole stack of official work to do for Degica, they have less free time and aren't here in a moderating capacity as often.
Really? I previously thought that most mods work independently of things like that, and only work with the forum.
"At least a day" is fine. If you read the pinned rules, they usually say it could take up to 72 hours. And sometimes it does. You should not expect the same speed in different areas of the forum, or even within the same areas on different days. It all depends who's around, who looks after that area, and what else they have on their plates.
I know it may sound like I am complaining, saying that it is not fair, or going against it in some other way. Let me just say one thing - I am not complaining about that rule, the time it takes. I do understand, especially after what @Kes said, that moderators are often going to be busy, too busy. But I am fine with the time, whatever my wording may have suggested, though I do not know where you got the idea I am complaining from what I said above...

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I didn't take it that you were complaining - only curious about the difference. I was just saying not to compare times between different forums, as it's like comparing apples and oranges for the reasons already discussed, and that even within a single forum, sometimes approvals will happen within an hour or two, and sometimes it could be quite a bit longer.

When I say mods, I mean mods & admins. Archeia looks after Games in Development (along with, I think, only one other person - at least as far as approving threads goes), and she actually works for Degica (though I believe her situation with the forum is the same as everyone else - she doesn't get paid for her work here - could be wrong on that). And everyone knows Archeia always has deadlines looming with events, releases, updates, etc. She is one of the most flat-out people around here.

Nightblade50

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I didn't take it that you were complaining - only curious about the difference. I was just saying not to compare times between different forums, as it's like comparing apples and oranges for the reasons already discussed, and that even within a single forum, sometimes approvals will happen within an hour or two, and sometimes it could be quite a bit longer.
Oh I see. Sorry about that. :)
When I say mods, I mean mods & admins. Archeia looks after Games in Development (along with, I think, only one other person - at least as far as approving threads goes), and she actually works for Degica (though I believe her situation with the forum is the same as everyone else - she doesn't get paid for her work here - could be wrong on that). And everyone knows Archeia always has deadlines looming with events, releases, updates, etc. She is one of the most flat-out people around here.
Oh, yes. I know Archeia is more than a forum admin, also, so is @Touchfuzzy, I think.
along with, I think, only one other person
@taarna23 if I remember correctly.

Nightblade50

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ha ha, it is probably for the best :wink:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Also technically script requests isn't supposed to require a moderator to approve posts there. But sometimes it slips up and requires us to approve them. So that is also why it is faster as the post isn't supposed to be moderated in the first place, so anyone can see that and just hit approve to fix it.

Script releases on the other hand...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Started playing Danganronpa 3 in French - Eyes started bleeding in less than 5 minutes - Installed English text instead.
Why, translator, whyyyy???
-_- Now we have punishments for skipping meals, specially breakfast. At least let me sleep on Fridays -_-
colorize an old sketch
Welp... with numerous plugins and a bit of Javascript help, I've simulated an AP system in battle. Proud of myself honestly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimapri